pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017

Post by Windknot »

Congradulations to you and your granddaughter Matt! Looks like you both had fun. On my end I went to a new spot for me in the Northern Adirondacks where I thought there would be trout. Literally first cast and the fish slammed my lure! But to my surprise it was a big fat PERCH. I ended up catching a bunch of perch(30+) using a variety of Mepps spinning lures, such as my favorite the Black Fury, sizes 0 to 3. Man were they fun to catch on my ultra-lite 5 ft rod! Brought the 7 biggest and fattest home and had them for supper on Monday night with my wife. Deee-licious!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

you got fooled but those nice perch are very good eating. you had fun thats the bottom line. im impressed with your pics to thanks. :D
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice feed of perch. good picks too.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Adkhare wrote:Great pic , that's what it's all about.
thanks the fin was kept alive and weighed in and released back to champlain with a big smile on alaynas face.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

You to make a good pair Matt. Thanks for the pic.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:You to make a good pair Matt. Thanks for the pic.
alayna placed 10 th with that bowfin in the kids division.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/22/2107 went over to the camp this morning for some catfishing and pan fishing . got there at 6:45 am and on the shore was a big surprise in less than 1 fow there was a huge school of big male blue gills. tossed out a cat rod and put a worm on my worm rod and just dropped it in one after another . i only kept 8 inchers and up and in an hour i quit and threw another cat rod out. got home and filleted them i had 26 gills 8 inches and more. i have seen this in years past but it doesnt last long and they move. the shore was boiling with them. had 3 runs most likely fins and came up empty on all 3.Image
an example of how big the gills were this morning on shore
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jimbow wrote:Sounds like she will be giving you a run for the money pretty soon Matt, ;) Good for her, I know she enjoys eating them too! :D
jim she has lots of spunk and determination and she loves to eat fish.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

fishy1 wrote:
jimbow wrote:Sounds like she will be giving you a run for the money pretty soon Matt, ;) Good for her, I know she enjoys eating them too! :D
jim she has lots of spunk and determination and she loves to eat fish.
Good for her! 8-) Can't ask for much more... :) Don't let her catch you using her new rod!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/22/2017 went over for some catfishing and bowfin fishing tonight with just cut bait. spread my 2 cat rod apart about 50 feet . 6 pm started fishing 6:05 pm 2 runs and misses. fins busting water all over so i knew the bite was on . 6:15 pm both car rods started peeling off line oh oh what do i do 50 feet apart. took the closes one ist closed the bail and fish on just peeling the drag out . the fish was out in heavy weeds so this is where the 20 lb cat line comes in play. after a brief time getting him out of the jungle weeds it was a fin and he busted water at least 2 feet in the iar and back down what a battle. trying to keep my eye on the other rod that ahd slowed down out in the jungle weeds. finally i cleared the fin of the weeds but still had lots of power i finally land it an nice chunky 30 inch fin. tossed it in the cooler right quick and ran over to the other rod which i could see metal on the spool closed the bail and wow i had better hang on it decided to take off after a long struggle got it out of the jungle weeds and i land another fin 28 inches. released it but kept the 30 inch fin in the cooler to weigh in for the lci basin derby. fished until 8:30 pm with 9 runs landed 3 fins and 2 cats. when i left the fins were still busting water. wished it was like that for the fathers day lci derby for my granddaughter but she did well cant see her pulling one out of those jungle weeds though.

here is the 30 incher
ImageImage
one of the cats
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/25/2017 went over fishing catfish and bowfins in the morning from 6:50 am to 11 am with only 1 run and a miss.
went back in the evening at 5:30 pm and 6 pm right on schedule a run and a miss. something about that 6 pm. then 1 more run until 8 pm. when a strong current began on the shore line and the fish came alive and boy did they. both cat rods took off and there about 75 feet apart. landed both luckily 2 bowfins one was 9.62 lbs. baited and tossed them back out approx 30 feet from shore and within 5 minutes the left one started peeling off line a sure cat run got down to the metal closed the bail set the hook and nothing and it robbed the bait. through it back out and the other started peeling off line and stopped and nothing put it back down and the line straightened out and held so i closed the bail set the hook and wow it pulled right back and almost pulled the rod out of my hands . the fight was on but had a hard time moving it in the jungle weeds and lily pads. this was a cat and a huge one the trick here is to get them up on the surface but just couldnt about a minute later with my rod bouncing wildly the hooks pulled out and he was on his way. i would have liked to got a glimpse of him. my drag might have been a little to tight but im not sure if it would have made a difference. 3 more runs after that and i land another bowfin . quit at 9 pm. an exciting last hour.
big fish busting water all over the bay when i left.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/26/2017 hit the lake again in the morning for some catfish and bowfin action and nothing happened in 3 hours 1 run and a drop. water was clear and still wind was variable.
went back at 5:30 pm with the same conditions so i only put one cat rod in until 7:30 pm and fished for pan fish with the other. couldnt keep the gills and whites off every cast in 2 fow . kept about 20 big gills and quit and tossed out another cat rod. 8:05 both cat rods began peeling off line slowly so i knew what they were fins. landed 1 and missed the other. then at 8:30 pm and real fast run and i knew what this was going to be but he dropped it after peeling off about 75 feet of line. then went home and filleted the gills. going to give them to freinds for a fish fry along with more in the freezer. :D
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Seems like I'm over due to meet up with you Matt, we have to give them hell. Maybe we can schedule something with Don and his wife in the near future.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Sounds exciting Matt. Do you use some kind of beeper or clicker on your rod setup like they do with carp rigs? You know to give an auditory warning when a fish bites.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Windknot wrote:Sounds exciting Matt. Do you use some kind of beeper or clicker on your rod setup like they do with carp rigs? You know to give an auditory warning when a fish bites.
no just leave the bail open and watch my line. sometimes i put a piece of foil on it and watch the foil