pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Sounds like it's time to get your little Boat out Matt.
my boat was damaged in the storms when i was out on ontario with harry.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

Braid is great if you know how to use it.It cuts through the weeds better than mono and is much tougher.But you MUST pre-load your reel with enough mono to cover the bottom of the spool before you fill it with braid,fill the braid very tightly on the spool and use at least twice the # test you would use with mono- i.e. 40# braid for 20# mono, then I use a bead swivel that will go through the guides or a double uniknot to join a 20 # or heavier florocarbon leader,any good mono will also work,like Triline big game .say about 6 feet,Do it this way and you will have little problems.buy good fused braid and it will last a long time.One thing I have found that helps is to put the filler spool in a bucket of water while you are filling the reel.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishingmachine wrote:Braid is great if you know how to use it.It cuts through the weeds better than mono and is much tougher.But you MUST pre-load your reel with enough mono to cover the bottom of the spool before you fill it with braid,fill the braid very tightly on the spool and use at least twice the # test you would use with mono- i.e. 40# braid for 20# mono, then I use a bead swivel that will go through the guides or a double uniknot to join a 20 # or heavier florocarbon leader,any good mono will also work,like Triline big game .say about 6 feet,Do it this way and you will have little problems.buy good fused braid and it will last a long time.One thing I have found that helps is to put the filler spool in a bucket of water while you are filling the reel.
thanks frank.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

matt asked me to post this pic...

Matt B
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Post by Committed (DA) »

HUUUUUGE!!
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

the big catfish above was caught by a forum members freind last friday night at 11 pm. scott sent me the pic and we texted back and forth if this was ghost the catfish that seemed to get off some way every time i hooked into it. the catfish was caught approx 2 miles south of me on shore, it was 38.5 inches and and bottomed out on the 30 lb scale. so the catfish was 30 lbs plus. what a beast. the fish was released right after the pic was taken.
WAS THIS GHOST ILL NEVER KNOW BUT I WILL ALWAYS THINK IT IS. :D
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Post by C-Hawk »

That is awesome, you guys ought to come up with your own tagging system.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Big Cat! Great idea C-Hawk...
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

That's one BIG Cat. I have fished Champlain for over 50 years and that's the Biggest seen.
Congrats to the fisherman how caught it And even a Bigger congrats for releasing it.
(It may even be older then the fisherman how caught it.)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/27/2017 got to take my granddaughter alayna over for some pan fishing and catfish and bowfin fishing in the evening. got there at 6:45 pm and it began to rain and then a down pour we sat patiently in the truck until 7:30 pm at least i did alayna not so patient. :( i put out 2 cat rods and let her fish for pan fish with her honor fallen heroes rod and reel given to her at the fathers day derby. she landed a few small perch at ist then nothing. 7:50 pm a run on the cat rod. had her pick up the rod the line was moving slowly and then would slack up then move again slowly a typical bowfin run. about a minute later it took off and had alayna close the bail and set the hook fish on. alayna was jumping with joy pa pa i have another fin on . (bowfin) i said yes try not to let it go across the other rods line she immediately pulled the rod back and away from the other line. we were on a boat dock so she was having a difficult time keeping it from going underneath and i had the net ready and made a swipe and in the net it went. alyana just landed a 27 inch fin . pa pa she says im am so proud of myself. i said im so proud to. had to leave at 8:30 pm and alayna caught a bass and 3 blue gills on a worm. it doesnt get any better than this. :D
here is alayna after landing the fin.
Last edited by fishy1 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Great Report Matt, always a joy to see you guys out there and the stories you guys make. You should give Alayna the LCU name of "Little Fishy" because it fits so well. She is learning well from her "Pa Pa".....
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I think you have a New derby partner shaping up...
Matt B
Lgbigfish
Species: Warm water

Post by Lgbigfish »

I am looking for a little help. I just moved to the area from Mass, and my Grandson is coming up for a week. I would probably launch out of Bensons Landing. I am looking for some catfish or bowfin. as well as some "Eating" sized pan fish, perch calico, etc. Now I know how some fisherman can be, I'm not asking for anything specific, just a little guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I must say Matt's gradaughter is the sweetest little girl you have ever met. I hope she grows up to do something in the fishing industry as she has one of the greatest teachers.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Lgbigfish most any place around Benson Landing has good cat fishing. I would go south up into the narrows. Fish the main part of the lake. Use good size bait for the cats. Late afternoon and evenings are best. I had a camp on the lake in Benson for 38 years.