My first shore fishing experiences...

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
lingcod
Species: burbot, whitefish

My first shore fishing experiences...

Post by lingcod »

First , I want to thank all the posters who gave me the confidence to try this and to all those anglers who shared advice. I've been fortunate to do as well as I have, only 3 times out so far. Here are two pics of fish I kept for myself. I also shared a few salmon with landowners who gave permission to access the lake across their properties. Image. Image
EagleCrag
Species: Trout/Salmon

Re: My first shore fishing experiences...

Post by EagleCrag »

Wow. Nice fish on both counts! You probably expect that all the time now! Were you fishing on the VT or NY side? The tail coloration on the Lake Trout is interesting and a bit unusual I think.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

wow good job keep at it. do you find it exciting especially when the fish hits while the rod is in your hands and landing it by yourself? you look like you have got it done. :)
lingcod

Post by lingcod »

Fishing Vt. side. fishy 1 , as I'm sure you know, it's way more exciting to cast to and fight them with a light rod and light line! Sooo much better than on a boat. I often catch salmon by lobbing to swirls as I spot them. Caught quite a few that way.
Speaking of boats, when they pass by, even 30 yards out, the salmon will shut down for a good 10 minutes. I usually don't wave, so that boaters don't pull over to talk. Its not that I'm antisocial, quite the opposite really, but it sure ruins the bite. If a boat stays nearby for too long, those fish will just plain leave.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Welcome and great job!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Thanks for sharing, especially that info about boat traffic. Amazing that they were that far out and it still effected your fishing.
lingcod

Post by lingcod »

I'd been choosing my fishing spots based on wind speed/direction but was faced with an almost windless day. My wife & I were lucky enough to land one fish each. The flat lake surface was dotted with tiny, pin-point like dimples, and an occasional swirl of a large fish. Turns out that it was killies (banded killifish) dimpling the surface, and salmon were eating them. The salmon had a few juvenile smelt in them and a few still-live killies! Image
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

nice fish
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the report. Great pics.
Glad the advices you got on the forum helped. That's how we learn too.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice salmon congrats
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

lingcod wrote:Fishing Vt. side. fishy 1 , as I'm sure you know, it's way more exciting to cast to and fight them with a light rod and light line! Sooo much better than on a boat. I often catch salmon by lobbing to swirls as I spot them. Caught quite a few that way.
Speaking of boats, when they pass by, even 30 yards out, the salmon will shut down for a good 10 minutes. I usually don't wave, so that boaters don't pull over to talk. Its not that I'm antisocial, quite the opposite really, but it sure ruins the bite. If a boat stays nearby for too long, those fish will just plain leave.
you have listened and studied and the more you do the more successful you will get. the fish are there you just need to approach them carefully and have quiet surroundings. you observations of boats trolling near you are absolutly correct. even some of the boaters that fish salmon all year will leave the area where the boats show up and go elsewhere. sounds like you and your wife got it down good. good luck out there and keep on posting the pics to looking forward to them
Salmon-crazy
Species: Salmon, trout, bass, pike

Post by Salmon-crazy »

Hey Matt, finally picked up a Laker from shore. I'm just starting to see them come in close now. Saw a big one surface the other day and picked up a husky 33" this morning. It hit like, as you say, a freight train and made a couple of real good runs. Got em' on a silver croc. Again - another beautiful fish - not a mark on it. and.... a good fighter! Its back in the lake to fight again another day.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Salmon-crazy wrote:Hey Matt, finally picked up a Laker from shore. I'm just starting to see them come in close now. Saw a big one surface the other day and picked up a husky 33" this morning. It hit like, as you say, a freight train and made a couple of real good runs. Got em' on a silver croc. Again - another beautiful fish - not a mark on it. and.... a good fighter! Its back in the lake to fight again another day.
thanks eric. i was up there twice this week weighing in fish at willsboro outdoor world. glad your finally seeing some lakers . 33 inch is at least a 10lber i would guess or more. there now catching lakers along the shoreline just about everywhere from what im being told. thats a good thing. :)