More participation on the FORUM

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

More participation on the FORUM

Post by tamiron »

One of the other forum members and I were discussing the current status of the forum and how much traffic is occurring and how much help forum members are getting from the forum. I think it is up to each of us to understand how this great fishery will continue to receive the political, financial, and environmental support that it so richly deserves. We need to coordinate the learning experiences that each of us may possess from our past experiences on Champlain as well as other great fisheries to spread the knowledge and widen the success over an ever expanding base.

Before I go any further, please understand that I am not trying to offend those people who feel like they have paid their dues, learned their lessons the hard way, and are a little bit annoyed, when newcomers descend on them like a plague of locusts. There is a tremendous amount of water in Champlain, that should eliminate virtually all crowded conditions. But when a newcomer has tried unsuccessfully to learn the ropes and catch even a few fish, he or she might resort to getting as close as possible to someone who is catching fish. Also providing the exact location of recent success merely exacerbates that very crowding problem. It should be enough to indicate approximate depth that you are fishing in, some of the more successful lure colors, and other general conditions like surface temperature, position of the thermocline and even what presentation methods are not currently working. We need to spread that success so people begin to do it their way!
Sharing color patterns, makeup of the water column which will change from day to day anyway, answering generic questions that other forum members are seeking to learn about and posting a request for help whatever it may be, will all improve the forum image and participation. For those of us that “have skin in the game” it is especially critical that we give back as much help as possible. I don’t know an awful lot of anglers that started off as experts and regressed! But I do know hundreds that have learned valuable and irreplaceable knowledge from those that have come before us. As I said above, it is time for us to give back.

Newcomers to the sport will keep our sport current, interesting, and attaining greater and greater successes. Let’s start today by making this the best year ever. / Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: More participation on the FORUM

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

I did a webinar wednesday and I had 100+ for 1hr. and I was talking & sharing technics,lures etc... mostly on fishing for lakers on Champlain. It was schedule for 1hr but I had to cut it after 1.20hr.
People like to learn. I did get numerous e-mails thanking me for the infos that I share. Many had never fish lake Champlain and they will this year so they will bring more money for the Vt F&W.

I also took the opportunity to advise them to be careful specially in the spring season when many fish in shallow water to be polite and slow way down when approaching other fisherman.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

very well said jim. i pretty much know lake champlain by heart after all the years i have fished it but guess what im still learning and look on the forum many times to learn even more. champlain fishing seems to change every 10 years and you have to be prepared. the lcu forum has brought many of us fisherman together and many of us fish together now and most of us were strangers not to long ago. every forum member i have fished with is a true sportsman also. lake champlain has lots of water and space and there are over 80 species roaming around down there so there is fish for everyone to target. :)
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

I agree. This forum is a great resource. I grew up fly fishing the rivers around my home for brook trout, brown trout, and rainbow trout. At one point, when I was in my twenties, I bought a 12 foot aluminum boat and started fly fishing the local lakes for trout. I did catch a few salmon in lake Sunapee in the spring from that boat while trolling flies.

Two years ago, I started fishing Lake Champlain with my buddy, Kevin, on his boat. I had never caught a lake trout at that time. We launched out of Shelburne Bay on a quest to catch a lake trout and/or a salmon. We each purchased our first down rigger and just started fishing based on experience and what we read in outdoor magazines. We caught several lakers that day around Juniper Island and I was hooked. Since that time, I was lucky enough to find the LCU forum and I learned a whole lot about fishing for Salmon and Lake Trout. I now feel confident that I can find a least a few salmon or lake trout when I hit the water. So a big thank you to all members of the forum :D I still learn a lot on this site and sometimes post questions on some of the tactics that I don't know a lot about in an effort to become a better fisherman. While I am still a "Greenhorn", I do feel I have a little something to offer to new members of this fishing community.

I fished in my first DYP last year and partnered up with Cowboy. He gave me my first exposure to planer boards. It was a great experience and I made a new friend that day. I can't wait for this years DYP! It is a great way to get to know some of the awesome fisherman that participate on the forum. Now if we can only get some decent weather so I can get back on the lake :x
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

I agree as well, Jim - well said! This forum is great, I think that newcomers appreciate the generosity that is demonstrated by so many, it certainly helped me get sorted out. Some of the other forums and fisheries are like watching a bar fight, a real shame. I don't have a lot to offer right now being snowbound with a bilge full of ice these days, though I did do a good deed today - I sold a snowmobile to a kid who fishes Lake George and Schroon lake extensively - he told me he's been using certain flies and spoons that have worked well for lakers, and had never heard of a Honey Bee - so I gave him one of my favorites. I hope he gets as much fun out of that little spoon as I have. White/glow #1 with a diagonal purple and gold stripe, one of your old school patterns I believe, but it's been a killer for years :)
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Bearcat wrote:I agree as well, Jim - well said! This forum is great, I think that newcomers appreciate the generosity that is demonstrated by so many, it certainly helped me get sorted out. Some of the other forums and fisheries are like watching a bar fight, a real shame. I don't have a lot to offer right now being snowbound with a bilge full of ice these days, though I did do a good deed today - I sold a snowmobile to a kid who fishes Lake George and Schroon lake extensively - he told me he's been using certain flies and spoons that have worked well for lakers, and had never heard of a Honey Bee - so I gave him one of my favorites. I hope he gets as much fun out of that little spoon as I have. White/glow #1 with a diagonal purple and gold stripe, one of your old school patterns I believe, but it's been a killer for years :)

Bearcat, your generosity will come back around to you, the fact you shared that lure with a young fisherman will pay big dividends someday. The lure can be replaced but the joy of that kid catching a fish on it for the first time could never be replaced, maybe he will pass it on to another sometime in the future and tell him how he got it to brighten some one else s day. Jim M. is generous and I know he does the same often and he is first to share any info he can to help the less "schooled", something to be admired.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I would urge some of the new guys to keep the tradition going. I fished Champlain for 20 years or more before I became involved in this comunity and then I started catching fish. Get out there , do the work , and report back here. Jim is right.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

A good thread here for sure... I wonder if we should setup a questions section of th forum. Members could ask a question and get answers posted to it. Then folks looking to learn could go to that section for info and good learning.....

What do you guys think?
Matt B
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Not a bad idea Matt but I think you have that covered already. Seems like anytime someone (including myself) posts a question as a new thread there are a bunch of answers and comments posted within the first day.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Some anglers just feel awkward about having their questions associated with their name or handle, so maybe we can address some of the concepts that we feel should be a part of everybody's arsenal and get the ball rolling.

Springtime ... minor changes in temperature are probably more important than any other time of year. With the vast majority of the lake in the high thirties, after ice out, forage and predators will tend to congregate in the warmest water they can find.

As air temperatures warm, the surface will begin to warm first, shallow water next, the South and West sides of a North-South Lake ( due to onshore winds and early day sun), stream outlets into the lake, water closest to a source of shore rocks and shallow water rocks which will act as a heat sink and create pockets of warm water.

Once the water begins to get warmer, the winds and currents will push that "lighter" water around. So you need to start looking for the temperature breaks and the forage. The first major forage spawning run will be smelt, and they will begin to congregate around streams and rivers in preparation to spawn. Find the bait and the temperature and it is my guess is that you will improve your odds dramatically.
Last edited by tamiron on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

Reelax wrote:A good thread here for sure... I wonder if we should setup a questions section of th forum. Members could ask a question and get answers posted to it. Then folks looking to learn could go to that section for info and good learning.....

What do you guys think?

How about a tackle and technique section Matt ?
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Good idea Matt and good name for it Mike.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

There are a bunch of topics to discuss. I learned of many of them here. Here is a list with sub categories:
- Down Riggers
.....- Releases
.....- sliders
.....- stacking
- Planer boards
.....- traditional mast & boards
.....- in-line boards
- Dipsy divers
- slide divers
.....- lite bites
- weighted lines
.....- lead core
......- copper
- snap weights
- tadpoles
Please add to the list as you see fit. I am sure I missed some things. Each one of these could be a topic in which we all could share our experiences.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Greenhorn wrote:Please add to the list as you see fit. I am sure I missed some things. Each one of these could be a topic in which we all could share our experiences.
Great place to start would be to check out DIGITROL's video's.

Please do yourself a favor and go out and buy a 3-ring notebook to store "How to snips" from threads here and a place to start collecting info from forum threads.

Maybe a different font color can be used on the forum to bring attention to info that should be remembered
Last edited by tamiron on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Perfect!. Keep the thoughts and ideas coming :D :D