More participation on the FORUM

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Sawyer
Species: All

Re: More participation on the FORUM

Post by Sawyer »

i believe some people don't start a Topic or ask a question as its ben asked before in the past. Before i ask i try to look in the archives or past post where I have found the answers to my questions. I like some of the same topics to come back up on the forum because the info could change. I also would like to hear more on other species of fish. I like that Fishy1's post cover some warm water and river fishing and I like it and looking foreword to reading them.
I think it's going to be a very informing forum this year with so many members with the under water cameras. (Thanks and post on)
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Great thread here please anybody kinda go back to the area of time that you are asking about and review that timeline.

There is more already posted information that is VERY current to any day out year to year in that frame other than current weather. Water temp may change the week and local bait may be a yearly question. Lots of different presentation methods work and LOTS OF GOOD FISHING is any day and Variable Catching depending on the day.

This group is the Best at Sharing what they know.

Keep on !
Fish On!
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

tamiron wrote:
Once the water begins to get warmer, the winds and currents will push that "lighter" water around. So you need to start looking for the temperature breaks and the forage. The first major forage spawning run will be smelt, and they will begin to congregate around streams and rivers in preparation to spawn. Find the bait and the temperature and it is my guess is that you will improve your odds dramatically.
Reading Tamiron's posts reminds me that there are two aspects that need to be discussed when talking about chasing Lake Champlain fish. There is the "weapons" which I listed in an earlier post and there is the "hunting" aspect which is what Tamiron is talking about.... Where to look for your chosen species, what water temperature they prefer, what they feed on, etc. That is what Tamerion is discussing. That is what make this fishing game so much fun ;)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Trolling or hunting options for salmon:

1) One of things we discussed "hunting" for salmon was the notion of picking up the speed of your troll over unproductive water till you contact active fish.

2) Or pick up and run on plane to avoid the "death troll" which is a time killer.

3) Or in rough water pick up and run upwind into the waves and turn around and fish with the waves to keep your presentation running at the fish catching speed. Troll at 30 degree angles to those following waves to keep better control of your lures action and speed.

4) Or after a lake turnover and a big south wind run out to the middle of the lake between Burlington and NY fish start hunting at a higher rate of speed to cover water. Keep a lure at 50 ft even though it's out of temp.

5) Spring time when the water is really cold 33-40 degrees focus on the skinniest water and use your boards near brooks or swamp outlets with a bit warmer water that draw bait in.

6) Try trolling at different compass angles to the current instead of North and South the directions of that current.

7) Fishhawk for Speed and Temp. at the ball.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

tamiron wrote:Some anglers just feel awkward about having their questions associated with their name or handle, so maybe we can address some of the concepts that we feel should be a part of everybody's arsenal and get the ball rolling.

Springtime ... minor changes in temperature are probably more important than any other time of year. With the vast majority of the lake in the high thirties, after ice out, forage and predators will tend to congregate in the warmest water they can find.

As air temperatures warm, the surface will begin to warm first, shallow water next, the South and West sides of a North-South Lake ( due to onshore winds and early day sun), stream outlets into the lake, water closest to a source of shore rocks and shallow water rocks which will act as a heat sink and create pockets of warm water.

Once the water begins to get warmer, the winds and currents will push that "lighter" water around. So you need to start looking for the temperature breaks and the forage. The first major forage spawning run will be smelt, and they will begin to congregate around streams and rivers in preparation to spawn. Find the bait and the temperature and it is my guess is that you will improve your odds dramatically.
this is very true jim on spring time conditions find the warm water, forage will be there and the predators will be there also. i think its why i do pretty well on shore this time of the year since i have rocks, weeds, 3 streams and 2 to 8 fow in the 3 miles that i fish. when i look back at my posts the last 2 springs most salmon would hit within 15 feet of me and some right in where i could see them hit my lure. will also catch other game fish to such as bass pike pickeral and others. the trollers have a hard time running there boards in close though because of the weed growth.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Time Management:

Many folks don't have the luxury of fishing 8 hours or more on the water or multi days in a tournament. I have 4-5 hours due to kids getting on the bus at 8 am. and getting off the bus at 3 pm. during the week. After 45 minutes each way to Converse or crossing the lake up this way it chews up 1 hour easily each way!

This is the reason I like the Shoot-out so much! Everyone is on a level playing field! It's a 6 hour window and it comes down to "Time Management" with your decisions. This is something I have really focused on fishing 4 hour windows in the last 5 years on the water when the kids hit school back then.

You can spend a lot of time trolling in one direction from the Bridge down south up to Converse with the current and say the the fishing "Sucks" on a calm day. Everyone has been there with the "Death Troll" scenario.

It becomes important not to get caught in this trap! Especially at 2.3 mph! Pick up the speed if your going prospecting! Create a plan A and plan B. Create options! Remember: "No one plans to fail, they just fail to plan"

R
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

A "Tackle and Technique" section sounds great. Always a lesson to learn or to try to remember.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

fishmaster176 wrote:A "Tackle and Technique" section sounds great. Always a lesson to learn or to try to remember.
Sounds great!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

tamiron wrote:
fishmaster176 wrote:A "Tackle and Technique" section sounds great. Always a lesson to learn or to try to remember.
Sounds great!

sounds familiar....
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

lazycs wrote:

sounds familiar....
I know we're a much smaller community, but I love that section on LOU. I wonder if we could generate enough content to make that worthwhile for a landlocked Atlantic tackle/technique section here? Their "this old boat" section is great, too, but there are plenty of options for that stuff on the web already.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

A lot of articles have been written on presentation patterns and spreads. Might be good if newcomers go to
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sm ... n&*&spf=64

and get some ideas. the whole purpose of patterns and presentations is repetition - repetition of successful methods. Great place to start!
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I have a tip to share. I think it would fall under time management that Ron was speaking of and repetition Jim M spoke of. I and many of my friends have to travel a good distance, driving up to a few hours to Lake Champlain while dragging a boat as do many others do on this site. And we would like to get the most bang for the buck for our time on the water. If you do get a good tip from the site and say are trying a new piece of equipment for the first time (boards, Mini boards, dipsy, Lite Bite, or more rods than usual due to more guys in the boat) why do it AFTER you traveled that far. I would say try the "new" technique on a local lake/river even if it doesn't have the targeted fish you are after. Many of the techniques and equipment can be translated into targeting other species of fish (ie Walleye, bass) Jim M said "the whole purpose to pattern and presentation is repetition", get use to the new equipment/technique BEFORE hand so you don't end up with a "cluster" after you traveled so far, cutting the time you have to fish. Being familiar with the equipment or technique is common sense and will help you with set up time (ie more time to fish). If you are not sure what rods to set up first (rigger, planer boards, lead core, dispsy), practice it, if your not sure how to re-set say a dipsy after it went off in a pattern of boards and riggers, then even if you don't get a hit, trip it and see what happens and try and re-set it. same with mini boards, etc. This way when it happens on "THE" lake there will be less confusion and mishaps giving you a more time and enjoyable trip....
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

I concur - I would not be catching fish like I did the last two years if wasn't for this forum. I struggled the first three years I fished for LC trout and salmon, a good day was 3-4 fish. Then I found LCU, asked for help, got it (from Fishy and JimBow in particular) and an average day became 10, 20+ if there were two of us!

When someone was talking about Honey Bees, I thought they were bee keepers, not lures.

There really isn't anything I do that's secret, all you have to do is ask. I think collating information in a structured format as Greenhorn has suggested would be a good started and we should do everything we can to encourage questions.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

jimbow wrote: This way when it happens on "THE" lake there will be less confusion and mishaps giving you more time and an enjoyable trip....
Another thought is to try these methods in the middle of Lake Champlain where there are no boats. Try radically new (to you) methods where you aren't disturbing other anglers. This falls under the same category as respecting the course of a boat already fishing in an area.

If you want to stop "sharing" stay too close to another boat and you have just made a new convert to the "NEVER AGAIN CLUB" (NAC).