Marine Radios Any Suggestions???

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Re: Marine Radios Any Suggestions???

Post by popster »

JR
Too bad about your ICOM experience.
I've owned many ICOM VHF fixed mount, Handhelds and amateur radios for 35 years and have rarely had any problems with any. Their customer service has always been top notch. In my opinion, one of the top manufacturers of communication equipment.
Bill
"POINTER"
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I'm not necessarily recommending one, but if you want to go cheap on a fixed mount high power VHF, the Cobra one I've had for 4 years has been fine. It has weather alerts and receives/transmits. That's about it. And it's waterproof. I'm not sure if it's a universal requirement on all of these, but you'll need to solder the connector or get a special crimping connector for the antenna cable.

If you're willing to spend more money you can get better quality and more features.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Electronic ... B004HSND3M
J.R.
Species: salmon

Post by J.R. »

I seriously doubt that spending more $$$ you get a better VHF radio. The Standard Horizon models have a plastic cover which snaps over the front of the radio.. this adds protection when not using.. i like that.
The Shakesphere antenna 3' are great if you don't want need 20 miles but you will still get about 10 miles range.. and alot of people I fish with find the bigger antenna's overkill but differant strokes for differant folks. !!!. :mrgreen:
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

First i would like to thank you all for your advice and suggestions. This will help me on getting a radio that will fit my needs. I have one Question. Is there spots on the lake that it's to far to radio the Cost Gard or other help in an Emergence? Lets say i'm on the IS and i'm sinking and i have a radio that can reach 5 to 10 miles do you think it would reach? Or are they repeater towers up and down the lake to get help even if it's twenty-five miles away.
Thanks Don