Friday fishing in spring conditions.

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Friday fishing in spring conditions.

Post by Reelax »

Hit converse at 1st light with homewrecker and da Comitted. Homewrecker jumps in with Fathead to even the fleet out. Motored to New York and found Perky and a full crew already there.. The tunnel of love kept us busy from 7am till about 11:30..

Wind was minimal, water temp was 36.5 on top and way down.

Bite was hot in one spot, we did 6 fish in the 1st 4 passes with doubles and triples on.

Size was up to 21" but averaged around 18". Caught all in top
20' of water. Long line with a split shot and purple brown trout small yozouri was best bait. Most came on sticks, but some came on spoons.4 Inline church tackle boards worked great all day and key our lines in the water.

Here's a shot of Fathead headed south....

Controlled caos showed up after 8 and joined in the hot spot... Sounds like they did well, got confirmation on radio of a nice 21" they landed.

Lunch was a simple tuna fish and chip plate..

We did get to dispatch a very small lamprey..

We left fish to find for at this point which isn't usually a great move...
Headed to townfarm to try to find some action. Nada... Trolled from Thorpe brook all the way to picket in converse bay with no action....

All in all we ended up 11 for 12, but could have probably done another 5 if we didn't move... But ats the chance you take. Need to locate the, when we can.....

Great day without using riggers or divers...The lake thinks spring is here!
Matt B
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Re: Friday fishing in spring conditions.

Post by Committed (DA) »

A good day to be out on the pond indeed. Once we dialed in the program it was pretty non-stop. Love the ease of using church boards even with ultra light heartland rods :mrgreen: We had a 4 line spread that never got tangled even bringing in outter fish over inner boards. A good system for the small boat, plus the high-viz orange is bright in the water so it makes it easy to see.

Thanks Matt for the great ride and lunch, hit the spot, and great to be out with the Fleet in late February that feels like mid April.

Hot Hooker was the spoon and like Matt said, Purple Brown Trout Yozuri in both the mini and standard size worked awesome today for us.

FISH ON

DA
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

You guys had a great "Spring" day in Winta.

Michael
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great pics and a great report. :)
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report Matt.... Lucky you to be able to enjoy good time on the water in February, while most of us are only dreaming about it.
Keep the reports coming.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

nice late feb. day guys thanks for sharing...
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Relax:

Thanks for the report and detail. An early start to what I hope is a great year for all of you.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

It was a fantastic day I agree!
And fantastic company on the water!
I have to thank you Matt for the info once we got to were you were fishing, I was pretty busy setting gear and didn't get much of a chance to talk and thank you , my 73 year old fishn buddy has very limited hearing and couldn't reply to Ya... We caught our salmon on blue and silver flies, 10" behind 5 inch pro troll flashers,on three colors of leadcore, even landed a 10lb laker on that set up! I would have been using a few of my 300or so stick baits but sombody... Left them in the garage 178 miles away lol!! ... Anyways thanks again, your all so helpful and We do appreciate it! See you on the water again soon! P.S. Hopefully the name confused chaos dosent stick.. Haha!
It's "controlled chaos"
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Thanks for the report Matt. You have me battling my spring fever! I was tempted to go out today, but they were predicting some pretty high winds. It is supposed to be somewhat calmer tomorrow (16MPH winds WNW). I might give it a try.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Controlled chaos wrote:It was a fantastic day I agree!
And fantastic company on the water!
I have to thank you Matt for the info once we got to were you were fishing, I was pretty busy setting gear and didn't get much of a chance to talk and thank you , my 73 year old fishn buddy has very limited hearing and couldn't reply to Ya... We caught our salmon on blue and silver flies, 10" behind 5 inch pro troll flashers,on three colors of leadcore, even landed a 10lb laker on that set up! I would have been using a few of my 300or so stick baits but sombody... Left them in the garage 178 miles away lol!! ... Anyways thanks again, your all so helpful and We do appreciate it! See you on the water again soon! P.S. Hopefully the name confused chaos dosent stick.. Haha!
It's "controlled chaos"
Good to see you guys out there... I corrected your name in my report. Long ride for you, but hope it was worth it....
Matt B
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

That sounds great! I was sorry to be working that day, for sure. Wind was brutal today.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Friday looked like a great day to be on the water! Good post!
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Long ride but it's worth it ! Conn river is still frozen hear so the walleye bite is quite slow below the dams , hoping by next Saturday they will be on the move and can catch some fat females, if not we will be back for some more salmon and lakers! You guys have given me a lot of information so if you ever get the "walleye itch" in March or April I would gladly help out! Or any time of year for that matter... Im still trying to decide if I wanna put my new boat in a river full of ice and driftwood.... Lol!!