White water fishing on Presidents Day

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

White water fishing on Presidents Day

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Today the wind was howling from the north. Met Randy and Al (Fish Farmer) at the ramp at 9:00 am. as the only group out fishing. Figured we could get out of the wind south of split. After an interesting crossing in 5 footers (video below).. we setup south of the Unicorn. With white caps even there we did the Death Troll down to the Den after it was too rough after 30 minutes to fish the starting place. The only place it was calm was in the Snake Den itself. Turned around and trolled back out in deeper water and crossed up to Thompson's. The wind had slowed down to 2-3's as we picked up at Thompson's. One bite today. The lunch was awesome with Pecan + Apple homemade pie, Two kinds of cheeses with homemade bread, Grey Poupon, Canadian smoked bacon, smoked Coho, Cold smoked Loc salmon, pineapple and grapes. A lunch you could expect at the Essex Inn Culinary school. Quit at 2 pm and headed in. Wonderful day to be out fishing in the sunshine on Presidents Day. Nice visiting with Al and hearing lots of great hatchery stuff and trib. / inland lake trout and salmon stories.

finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: White water fishing on Presidents Day

Post by finsntins »

well,in my book a tough day on the water is better then any day at work!!!!i was surprised there were no reports from this weekend.weather is looking warm for the next 2 weeks.hope to see some more reports from you guys.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

i am surprised you crossed the lake in that wind . still blowing hard down at the champlain bridge.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Looks pretty wild out there!
digitroll (ron)

The only option was the death troll from south of Unicorn where we set-up to the Den. Deep water program today with that following sea.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Looks pretty rough out there. Thanks for the report.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Great Sunny day to get in a float and enjoy the day with Ron & Al.

I had previously logged 47 hrs 32 min on the New Evinrude 90 hp E-tec and was anxious to break 50 hrs and also get to know the Lowrance HDS 9 touch linked to the Raymarine EV-100 autopilot operations a bit better. Ron splashed the boat with me and Al aboard , parked the truck and joined us. It must have been blowing 20 right from the north and we would be sure to encounter some good rollers going thru the slot at Thompsons & Split .

I plugged in a Route from Converse to Unicorn and hit engage and the Raymarine took over the steering. Well as you see in Ron's post above we had some good following waves.

Imageupload pic

The boys set the gear as the waves continued to follow us in the wrap around blow down the side of the mountain. Lots of conversation and a great lunch in the comfort of the heated cabin without much action allowed everyone to shuck a coat and then complain how cold it was out back in the wind when a gear lure change was done.

We got a nice view of water coming off the mountain just north of the Monkton Iron Works landing.

Imagewindows 7 screen shot

Well, guys no Fish were Hurt today but they can't take it from us. Thanks for sharing the day. Randy
Fish On!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Gotta give you guys an A for effort... Lack of fish wasn't due to not tryin... Looks like it was awfully bumpy...

Right now Friday the 23rd looks to be the best bet for the next fishing trip... One day window, I am sure there will be a few boats out...

Fish on!
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

The actual Diamond data at the crossing time was very close to 30 mph converted from knots. Quite a ride in the video! First time I have ever seen white caps from the north from the unicorn to the Den along that shore.

Great day to be on the water. Good luck on Friday!
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Wind and waves but you got to admit, it's better than sitting at work for sure. :D Boy you guys sure do eat well !...You should open an on the water catering business on the lake, bet you have a lot of customers come spring ;)
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Wow! Alot of wind out there. Thx for the report and the look. Very impressive lunch menu too. I wish they seved meals like that on the Black Ghost.
Black Ghost (Ken)