Monday Jan 2, 2017

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Monday Jan 2, 2017

Post by Surprise »

Fishing Good...Catching, not so much ;)

With a good weather forecast and us both having the day off it was a great opportunity to get in a much need float and maybe some fish to boot! Herb showed up at my house at 9 and we decided to head to Converse after hearing from my Friend Pete Ferrone who was fishing with Marek out of Westport. I had only been up north the Wednesday before Christmas and wanted to visit above Sloop to see if we could connect with a bit of silver.

Imageimage uploader

Boats already out were Black Ghost, Ken Pidgeon and friend, Instigator, Reggie and Jud Swenor two other unnamed boats and Crazy Ivan with Todd Flint and Pat Church were leaving the ramp as Herb and I arrived to launch. We set up at Cedar point and began the troll north and around. Very beautiful sunny day with a slight south wind was nice. The heater and back curtain gave us a toasty 78 degrees in the cabin. The fleet was spread out from Arnold bay to us as far up as Hills Point. Lots of lure changes on a two rigger with sliders, two mini discs covered from 75 ft to surface. Bait when spotted was heavy at 150 ft to 120. Lone fish were 20 - 45 ft. The boys were having a slow pick around with no special recipe or success. All we were picking were lakers here and there out as far as 400 ft depths. Water temp ran 41.8-42 at any depth. Should have been an active top upper water bite . I went to the head at the rear and as I was going Ahhhh a rod goes off and after giving a quick shake I take the other Rod and am greeted by a wonderful Jumping Brown. A great back and forth at the back of the boat was a good "my" start of the year with a 19 inch about 4lb brown on a Copper Red Needle Fish.

Imageimages upload

Imageadult photo sharing

Imageimage hosting site no sign up

Imageuploading pictures

Imagepost images

We had a good lunch of Raw bar clams on the half shell, Smoked mussels and shrimp. Reggie, Todd and ourselves pulled and headed to the barn about 3:00 . Great to see and chat with the boys at the ramp. I'm done till the last end of next week.
Fish On!
digitroll (ron)

Re: Monday Jan 2, 2017

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Great report Randy and handsome Brown to show for the New Year! Well done! Nice Gourmet meal on a balmy January day! Met Carl at Sparetime Bowling lanes near Costco with the kids and handed off the Water Wolf at 11:00 am. :)
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice set up and brown, what a meal! Guess there is nothing like living large on the lake...what a way to start the New Year! Thanks for the pix...
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for the report randy good to see other members out there also. you sure didnt look like frostbiters out there today though. im hungry after seeing that good food. :lol:
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

So nice to read the report from Chef Randy, the fishing gourmet, with always exquisite food.
Thanks for the report and pics.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great colors on the brown... I bet he wasn't gonna spit that hook the way you had him!

Thanks for the report... I can feel a fishing trip soon.. Just need the driveway to deice a little more.
Matt B