1st fish of the year, Trophy laker on video.

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

1st fish of the year, Trophy laker on video.

Post by Registered Kayak »

:D
So after waking up at my own leisure, the sun was up and......... Crapola!! The sun was up. Slept through the alarm clock by 2 hours. So the morning bite was all over with, no rush now, plugged in truck, went to McDonald's and got some greasy biscuits sandwiches but they were good.
Replaced all my ice fishing gear with my fine trolling assortment. Got out to the lake real late. Like 9 or later? Broke the ice and flushed it out of the ramp. Headed over to oakledge to start setting up .......and it is nice out. 1st time it has been less than 20kts for 12 fishing trips!!!!!
Started marking what I thought were fish intially. Turned out the entire bay, shelburne, burlington, had suspended leaves and weeds anywhere near contours facing the South. Made for a messy day of fishing. But fish were just a bonus.
I didn't even have to wear gloves or a hat.

So I was trolling..... South to the big flat near red rocks when I tried mooching. It sure as he'll worked. Downrigger popped and had instant weight on it. Picked up the rod to see what I had since such an abrupt trip and I could feel the angry pull to the basin! I knew this was going to be a big laker ;)
After slowly bringing her up from 65ft, and whatever she decided to do with the extra drag that peeled, I saw lots of bubbles coming up. She dive back down and did those very, very violent head shakes those big trout do and usually succeed in throwing your hook, so I let off the drag and then boated back on top of where she dove. Raised her up and netted that big ole fish. Measured 31inches and had some good weight. Took some photos and spent a minute bringing her out to deep water so she wouldnt have to worry about those lamprey that hang out near the shorelines. A good release followed and she went back down to 65ft.
I would have a few more hit for the day but I'll take a quality fish and a quality day anytime.
Stayed out to watch the sunset since more than likely the last time out until spring.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: 1st fish of the year, Trophy laker on video.

Post by fishy1 »

great post mark. they like to head shake for sure. you had a nice day to be on the water and the laker was a bonus for sure. :)
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Nice fish, Mark!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice laker Mark.
This is the first trolling report for 2017.
With some cold weather fast approaching, there might not be much more trolling activity in January.
Stay safe if going on the water, and extra careful if going on the ice.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice story Mark... Suspended leaves... Ouch
Matt B
Registered Kayak

Yeah those leaves weren't a joke. I did get to film some smelt though, ran through a school and manage to see a few stragglers. Water is super clear around the shelburne area. That bright light made them extra cautious. Got some decent video down 65ft. Says alot on clarity.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice story Mark, are you going to post that video?
Registered Kayak

Sure am, I have to finish it up, taking alot longer, have video underwater, and video above water, splicing together. And then add music. Haha it takes a while. I'll have 2 videos out before end only the week. The other one is from last week, ran into a swarm of lakers and had a VERY nice brown trout bite a spoon 2 times but stinky treble hook didn't find real estate, have since then shifted to single siwash in size 4 and 6.
Registered Kayak

Why my thread...... Jeez.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Registered Kayak wrote:Why my thread...... Jeez.

I deleted spam, all better now. Thanks for heads up!
Matt B