Fishing Thompson's, new video

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Fishing Thompson's, new video

Post by Registered Kayak »

This took a little while But had alot of video to sort through. This was about 2 weeks ago. Best area to troll was between 20 and 40ft. Didn't really pick any off the surface on an overcast day although I did see a few salmon porpoising after smelt. Just have to watch for birds diving after the bait. Fire tiger pattern was killing them for about an hour then shifted to rainbow trout on small hex honey bee. Worked mighty fine at 1.8 to 2 mph.
digitroll (ron)

Re: Fishing Thompson's, new video

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Very interesting video.

Some observations:

Most of these followers are Lake Trout. What size B are you running? Dispels the myth that when water temps approach 40 degrees we should slow down to 1.8-2.0 mph when you see how fast these fish swim up to the bait and follow. It also is interesting at times your bait seems to climb 1-2 feet? Could that be your are going with the strong current down there and it slows down trolling north with less resistance causing the lure to rise maybe? It also is noteworthy that we all mostly troll in straight lines and when the fish are neutral and just curious maybe some strong turns left and right could trigger more strikes. After viewing this video maybe cranking up the speed with some faster tuned lures to see what the reaction would be? It would be very beneficial to view this in real time while trolling. Maybe they will have an app to view on your tablet or phone in the future?

Great data. Thanks!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks again mark and ron you had some interesting comments. i think these water wolf cameras are going to help us alot. every time i fish now i am wondering if the fish are there and i dont have the right approach or lure for that fish to hit. we do have lots of follows at times especially the lakers. i would find it interesting mark if you would be a speaker at 1 of the workshops on how these cameras are great tools and how to apply them and edit them. in would really enjoy that and im sure others would to. :)
Registered Kayak

Hey Ron,
The climb in lures is when I slow down, either intentionally or if champlain throws a 3'er at me haha. Seems that honeybees do have a tendency to want to rise compared to other lures. I do alot of s turns when I troll. It is hard to see in camera because I usually have about 50ft back off the weight. The weight I use is extremely loud in the water. Lots of turbulence. In this video I am using size small and mp6.
I have found though that trolling east to west produces more fish down in that area though, not the first time I have heard that, but it is starting to hold some relevance.
Also, I may try mooching as a different technique since I always have tons of follows on the drop, more than I shown on video because of quality.
Matt, I have a clip coming up from getting clobbered by a good wave, so the camera incidentally went down about 50ft to the bottom and it captured the lake floor perfectly, this is gonna be real good for going after those whitefish. Resolution is real nice at that depth.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Good details. Hope you can do a presentation at the Feb. workshop on the Water Wolf!

Here is a home work assignment on a bright sunny day at high noon: Go over to the Ball Grabber and hang the probe vertical facing down someway tethered from the rigger weight. 40-50 feet down drift over the grabber 10 feet above the bottom. Would be very interesting what that bottom structure looks like that grabs everything like spaghetti. Divers are reluctant to dive this due to the dangerous currents and gear like cable strewn all over with weights attached stuck that could catch a diver. Dangerous I have been told to dive!

Fishy 1: For someone casting at the SandBar bridge / hatchery brook area / or off that rocky point out of the Apple Bay launch during October and cast one near these big schooling fish to catch some great views of these big fish.
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Very interesting video.

Some observations:

Most of these followers are Lake Trout. What size B are you running? Dispels the myth that when water temps approach 40 degrees we should slow down to 1.8-2.0 mph when you see how fast these fish swim up to the bait and follow. It also is interesting at times your bait seems to climb 1-2 feet? Could that be your are going with the strong current down there and it slows down trolling north with less resistance causing the lure to rise maybe? It also is noteworthy that we all mostly troll in straight lines and when the fish are neutral and just curious maybe some strong turns left and right could trigger more strikes. After viewing this video maybe cranking up the speed with some faster tuned lures to see what the reaction would be? It would be very beneficial to view this in real time while trolling. Maybe they will have an app to view on your tablet or phone in the future?

Great data. Thanks!
You can't see in real time because wifi doesn't work in water but there is some adapter you can use to see you're footage on a iphone or ipad:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202037
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

Matt,

Have you tried tipping the hook with a little scent like Gulp to see if the fishes responses on the video showed any difference?

Michael
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great video Mark. Always interesting to see what is happening below the surface. Sometimes we troll for long period of time with nothing happening while under the surface our lures encounter multiple potential bites.
How far is the lure from the camera?
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Registered Kayak

Gerry, I try to keep it about 4ft away, sometimes 6 if it's bright out. I used to think that the camera might spook the fish but it actually seems to give them a good silhouette from below since most of my fish come from below. It has definitely helped me to troubleshoot my skunks.
Ron,
I had 1 encounter with the ball grabber and corkscrewed when I got hung up. I will have ptsd if I ever go too close to that spot again haha. I bet it is tangled cable, lots of interference around that spot for me. I gr8 the same if I travel over metal pipes and beams in my boat.
Michael, I will try that this spring for sure. I always forget to buy some. Saw some guys that would drill holes into their downrigger weight and fill up a good amount then put a cotton ball in to plug it up but slowly leach out during the troll.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Registered Kayak wrote: Michael, I will try that this spring for sure. I always forget to buy some. Saw some guys that would drill holes into their downrigger weight and fill up a good amount then put a cotton ball in to plug it up but slowly leach out during the troll.
Matt:

Try some Pro-cure. But if you use any scent, be sure to wash it off that evening with Lemon Joy dish washing liquid.

If there is a slow down when using Bees,
almost stop - they will flutter down
some forward momentum, BUT NOT PROPER SPEED - they will rise.
Last edited by tamiron on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Registered Kayak

Jim, I'll definitely use some procure when I go out next time. Although with the forecast, it doesn't look too conducive for any more trolling til spring. Some cold nights up ahead.
Wallyandre (Andre)

I share this with you and I'm telling you, it really works. A bit pricey but it work.

https://monetteoutdoor.com/shopping/en/ ... e,%20Lures,
Registered Kayak

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:I share this with you and I'm telling you, it really works. A bit pricey but it work.

https://monetteoutdoor.com/shopping/en/ ... e,%20Lures,
Thanks for that. I'm gonna order it soon.
Wallyandre (Andre)

It's the phronome that is the attractant. Each species got his own, that why he sale some for walleye, salmon etc...
Pheronome is something that the scientist work with. On the tributary of lake Ontario they are actually doing study on the lamprey and they are using lamprey pheronome to attract the lamprey and it's working very well.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Thx for the look Mark. I see how a fish can get foul hooked in the belly or back when it makes a pass at the lure/fly. This has happened to me multiple times, mostly with lakers, which seem to be the species that spends more time following. I occaisionally loose a fish after an exciting screem from the reel which I typically believe it was a fouled hookd large laker.
Black Ghost (Ken)