Frostbite Converse report 11/5

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Frostbite Converse report 11/5

Post by keithm87 »

This is my first year fishing this late into the year from the boat, and yesterday the lessons began.

Woke up at 5:15 and called Vin to verify meet up time, headed to the boat hooked up, and then remembered that I needed to raise the motor as I lowered it to let it drain. My boat is stored outside and I woke up to 26 degrees. I had shut the battery off to ensure it would be good to go, and when I went to open the battery bay, I found it was frozen solid shut. For the next 15 minutes I tried everything I had on hand to get it open to no avail. I finally came up with the idea to try to melt the ice, problem being the boat is stored at a place with no water and the boat was already hooked up to the truck. I went through the truck looking for some means to thaw it, and found a bottle of whiskey (makers mark) and tragically used it and a pocket knife to get the bay open. After 30 minutes in the cold I finally got it open and raised the motor.

Met Vinny and headed for converse, launch went smooth and we set gear in the area by cedar and trolled across the deep water towards NY. after 20 minutes we had a hit got the line to the surface and had doubles on, Vin got the net ready, but I let tension off for a split second and one fish got off the other was boated and I landed my first ever Cisco a 16 incher. we trolled for a little while and had a hit but nothing there. Everything was quiet for the next hour and we trolled back across to VT. Started changing gear and found a 12.5 inch perch on a rigger, and then nothing again until we headed for the meet up. As we were pulling gear we landed a 16 inch salmon on the slide diver. Went up to the meetup and had some great food and chatted with some folks. Seems like we were not alone. Headed back out after the meet up and stayed out till dusk had a few more hits landed 2 lakers. All in all a good day.