fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 4/17/2017 waynes wild 8 lb brown posted 4/18/2017

Post by fishy1 »

5/13/2017 hit another pond today for some more brookie action . this pond is a little closer to the road but still brushy getting in there. started fishing at 6:15 am hoping the black flies wernt bad since there was no wind . had one rod on bottom and one with a bobber. about 7 am got my ist hit on the bobber missed and for the next 15 minutes kept missing. shaking my head i said i cant beleive this i very rarely miss trout as wayne always tells me. finally i connected and i what they were was 4 to 5 inch brookies that were stocked this week by helicopter. so i threw my bobber out as far as i could in the deeper water but soon as it hit the little stockies would hit. the bottom set up rig only produced one run and i landed a 8 inch brookie badly hooked so i had to keep it . cleaned it at home and the meat was white so it was just stocked also. left at 9 am since i was running out of dillies. black flies wernt bad on this day.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 4/17/2017 waynes wild 8 lb brown posted 4/18/2017

Post by jimbow »

Matt, those little stockers are bait stealers :evil: ...Do you know if they stock all the ponds in the area? :?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jimbow wrote:Matt, those little stockers are bait stealers :evil: ...Do you know if they stock all the ponds in the area? :?
jim there all stocked my helicopter where i fish but there are 2 or 3 that hold natives and naturally reproduce. the closest to me was killed off and restocked with the tupper lake strain brookies in 1998 and hasnt been stocked since. hope this helps.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/14/2017 hit a roadside pond today with not much luck. 36 degrees and a light rain and no hits at all. so on the way home i stopped at another roadside pond that holds browns and brookies. ist cast with my bobber it dissapeared and a miss. then several more bobber down and i finally land a fish a pumpkinseed. ugh! then caught several sunnies then later finally land a trout and its a stocked rainbow . ???????? then landed another. so much for only browns and brookies. a guy on the right of me was complaining loudly and said he has never caught rainbows on this pond. the pond is now loaded with sunnies which makes it difficult to get to the trout . the guy also told me he caught some crappies also. ugh! last time i will fish this pond. kinda of know how the sunnies got in there and its a shame a good reason not to use live bait in trout ponds. will check with our hatchery manager on why rainbows were put in there.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

That's pretty annoying.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/15/2107 wayne and i bushwhacked in a trout pond with some success. i left at 11 am to do some errands and wayne stayed until 2 pm. i landed 3 brookies and wayne landed 10 small stockers and over 20 bullhead. ugh! someone put these bullhead in there years ago. after i left the water warmed up and the bullhead started biting wayne said. :(
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

5/28/2017 - I didn't get out last weekend finally but this week I got up early...Image

yeah that early!....put some miles on the odometer and did a few of my fav spots. The first was the most productive. Hit my usual trout pond and my second cast with the bobber got me a hit and brought in a nice 10" brookie. Tried for another hour but after getting only a couple of 3" ers I headed to another spot on the same pond with some sunken logs and branches. Now here is where bad luck can sometimes turn into good luck.... I cast and the line and bobber wraps around a branch sticking out from a sunken log like a bola. Too deep to go get it so SNAP! I figured, while I'm re-tying anyway, might as well try my little Mepps spinner #1 and see if I can get some reaction bites. First cast and an 11" brookie slammed it. Spent the rest of the morning using #1 and #0 spinniers in chartreuse, orange and pink and landed 4 keepers total + a bunch of 3" ers. Image
After that grabbed lunch then tried a river closeby but the water level was still too high to properly fish my usual spots. Tried another river finally and caught a few fingerling salmon but no keepers, looks like they headed back to the lake for the summer. Besides the swarms of mosquitos and blackflies at the trout pond it was a PERFECT day to be on the water, hope some of you guys got out as well!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/24/2017 finally hit another trout pond and got to take my granddaughter alayna back with me for her ist time. picked out a pond .5 miles from the road with a no state trail just a bushwhack trail and the pond only holds brookies. after a 20 minutes walk we got to the pond and alayna says its beautiful in here. i said yes it is now your in for a treat catching some feisty brookies. set up 2 rods for her and one for me all with sinkers for bottom fishing and reaching the deeper water . before i even got the 2nd rod out alayna has a good bite and fish on she lands a pond bullhead. i am sure it wouldnt be the last of them. finally got all 3 rods out with mine out the farthest . wasnt long alayna gets another good bite and she lands a 7 inch brookie. she is excited and says can we keep it for dinner. i said yes if you want we will keep the badly hooked ones for dinner if they bite good today. threw her rod back out and her other rod was going she picks it up lands a bullhead. then the one i just threw in was going she says pa pa got another one only this time another brookie. so we decided that she should just fish with one rod for the next hour she landed brookies and bullhead steady and my rod 0 bites. but i knew matter of time i would connect also. one of alayna,s brookie was 10 inches and she was very proud of it. then my rod starts bouncing wildly and i land a nice fat 10 inch brookie. by now though we have 7 badly hooked brookies in the pail and our limit is 5 a piece so i explained when we reach 10 were done even though its legal to keep fishing as long as its catch and release. i explained to alayna i dont like that rule because if any of them are badly hooked they will certainly die. well it wasnt long we had our 10 which alayna landed 7 of the ten in the pail. dont know how many she caught but it was close to 15 in the less than 2 hours we fished and at least 15 bullhead. alayna was really excited and didnt want to leave but i said we will be back .
here is alayna with a brookieImageImage

Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice batch of Brookies you have there Matt and Alana. Traci and I like fried Brook Trout. I love the tails.
Were there any trout rising Matt?
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Sorry miss spelled Alayna
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Nice batch of Brookies you have there Matt and Alana. Traci and I like fried Brook Trout. I love the tails.
Were there any trout rising Matt?
yes around 10:30 am a few were rising and feasting on water bugs.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Good stuff Matt, I got your text but not enough "bars" to reply at the time... Did you try any lures???...Alayna is getting good with all species of fish....now she needs a trout tee shirt... :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jimbow wrote:Good stuff Matt, I got your text but not enough "bars" to reply at the time... Did you try any lures???...Alayna is getting good with all species of fish....now she needs a trout tee shirt... :lol:
no lures jim always fish on bottom with dillies in trout ponds . sometimes in the spring on some ponds use bobbers because of the bottom structure such as logs etc. but fishing on bottom for me always out produces any other types. wayne told me the same thing a few years ago this method works well even in rivers.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Hey Matt are there any Brooks coming out of the ponds you fish that have trout in them?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Hey Matt are there any Brooks coming out of the ponds you fish that have trout in them?
the roadside ponds in the high peaks do but most ponds i fish the outlets are mostly dry in the summer. im sure there are some brookies in them but im also sure they dont survive with the otters hanging around. every pond im bushwhacking in hold otters and they eat fish and even like to kill them.