fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 9/17/2017 wild browns page 15

Post by fishy1 »

9/29/2017 hit the roadside pond that holds rainbows and brookies. fished deeper today and didnt do very well 1 rainbow 13 inches and 3 small brookies.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/30/2017 hit the high peaks pond that holds browns and brookies plus lakers. weather report says light rain showers and north wind 10 to 15 mph . got to the pond at 6:45 am looking for a spot to get out of the wind and still able to reach decent depths. decided to bushwhack across to the other side underneath a ledge and sheltered. got half way through and almost turned around thinking it wasnt worth it it was like a jungle and wet. decided to keep going though and glad i did. got set up a little after 7 am and the brookies were very active . both rods took off at once minutes after hitting bottom. land a 13 inch male and a 14 inch female. tossed them back out and befor hitting bottom in the 25 fow fish on. another nice female about 12 inches. i couldnt beleive this was happening . worth the mess and getting wet and muddy to get over here. one problem if i didnt toss my line out far enough i would get stuck on bottom and lost a couple of nice brookies. so i put on 3/8 ounce sinkers to get out farthur in the wind. that did the trick no more getting stuck and still catching brookies and nice ones. what an amazin morning fishing for brookies in my new found spot. left at 10:30 am because i had my limit of badly hooked brookies and to weigh 1 in for the lci basin derby. landed 16 brookies none under 10 inches and ll put up a great fight.
here is a pic of the ist 2 i landed a male and female.

ImageImage
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice fish Matt, good eating too..worth the effort. :D
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

The Male Brook Trout in their fall coolers are just incredible. Nice fish Matt. Did you say 205 feet of water?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:The Male Brook Trout in their fall coolers are just incredible. Nice fish Matt. Did you say 205 feet of water?
sorry 25 fow
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Beautiful fish Matt. Thanks for your report.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/2/2017 hit the high peaks pond again today as air temperature was 30 degrees there but light winds. bushwhacked over to that spot i landed the nice brookies saturday. this time went in prepared put rubber bands around my rods to keep them tight together and brought the pail in again with all my gear tucked in . tried to follow my footprints in the mud. went in easier this time but still got my hikers wet. started fishing at 6:35 am and it wasnt long a run and i land a 9 inch brookie. then at 7:20 am had a strong run and fish on and i land a nice 14 or 15 inch female brookie sort of .swung him toward the pail with water and it shook loose hit the ground tumbled twice and back in the pond over 4 feet away. i was going to release it anyhow but i want a pic of it. then around 8 am i landed 2 little tiny bullhead ugh. then soon after i land a nice 12 inch brookie. i did okay this morning left at 10:15 am landing 7 brookies 5 bullhead. no bullhead saturday? all 7 brookies were 9 to 12 inches. Image
all released except for this badly hooked 12 inch brookie.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow! I have been too busy to make it to the Adirondacks. I've got a three day weekend coming, though, so I'm hoping to go big and camp. I did manage a couple nighttime outings to VT ponds. Same thing as before: put the light on the water and wait. 15-30' down in 45' of water. Bite started around 90 minutes after dark. I brought home 6 rainbows for the homemade smoker, all 13-16 inches. The 13" were probably stocked in the spring, but all had lovely orange meat.

I got skunked at my brown trout and smelt pond, though.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Beautiful fish Matt, and you seem to have a great adventure every day! Love the pictures.
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

One of those look like a splake! Awesome brookies!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Controlled chaos wrote:One of those look like a splake! Awesome brookies!
yes the female did she was a deep water brookie and her colors faded quickly after landing her. in the spring in that pond lots of brookies that color mostly white.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote:Beautiful fish Matt, and you seem to have a great adventure every day! Love the pictures.
you need to join me one day.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/4/2017 hit a roadside pond this morning for a couple of hours not big in acreage but very deep some spot 86 feet deep. only shallow part is the north end which is where i set up 10 to 25 feet. this pond holds rainbows and brookies which are stocked every year. started fishing at 7 am and no runs until 8 am as i land a brookie. not long after i land a nice rainbow but that would do it for the morning as i had to leave at 9 am. fished this pond a few times but never landed a brookie over 11 inches . most are from 6 inches to 9 inches. have caught some nice bows here though 15 to 19 inches and they are footballs, but its hit or miss with the bows.
pic of the brookieImage
pic of the bowImage
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Beautiful Matt
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/7 2017 hit a pond this morning that holds browns and rainbows . its 1.4 miles in from where we park on a marked trail. jason a forum member drove down from up north to join me. we walked into the pond taking our time as it was 61 degrees and humid. started fishing at 8 am i with a bobber set up and sinker set up. jason started with spin casting and a sinker set up. 10 minutes there and bobber down i land a nice colorful rainbow. another 5 minutes or so missed one on the bobber again. meanwhile jason was jigging on bottom and missed one. jason decided to move down on the other side of a fallen tree for casting,. wasnt long after his sinker rod line peeled off and jerked and stopped and then took off again . hollered to jason he came over and nothing . pulled it in and it got most of the crawler. then my bobber went down again and fish on and off i lose a good size fish. then my sinker rod set up was peeling line off slowly missed and it got most of the crawler. tossed it back out same spot told jason he will hit again. jason climbed over the rocks to me for a bobber since they were hitting my bobber rig. as he turned away my sinker rod line was peeling line of fast and jerking my rod up and down grabbed it closed the bail and fish on and a fighter busting water. jason grabbed the net and i land a nice brown. jason then went back down on the other side of the fallen tree after about 15 minutes his sinker rod was peeling off line and jerking the stopped. took him awhile to get back and nothing. somehow his bail on his reel closed and the fish dropped the bait. ugh. after 10:30 am the bite slowed and rained off and on we left with jason 0 for 2 and i 2 for 10. not a good day but not a bad day either good to get back in a pond off the road. wished jason could have hooked up.

here is the brownImageImage
rainbow
here is the shoreline we were dealing with when jason had to come back for his runs.