fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
septageguy
Species: all

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 4/17/2017 waynes wild 8 lb brown posted 4/18/2017

Post by septageguy »

Wow, super nice fish!!

Congratulations!
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 4/17/2017 waynes wild 8 lb brown posted 4/18/2017

Post by fishy1 »

septageguy wrote:Wow, super nice fish!!

Congratulations!
thanks what a day.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 9/17/2017 wild browns page 15

Post by C-Hawk »

Way to go Matt, be a nice one for the wall
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Holy cow, what a pair of browns!
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Great job Matt, what beautiful colored browns...glad you're going to get the one mounted...
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/18/2017 went back to the high peaks today for some trout action. weather the same warm and the wind still. set up on the 40 fow again . green jigs and whole crawlers the bait again also. planned on spin casting for awhile today also to see what happens. fished unitl 11:30 am landing 15 nice brookies 9 to 13 inches. saw 1 brown swim by me and saw at least 5 nice size trout bust water within 100 feet of me. spin casting worked as i got 2 brookies still like fishing on bottom though. my pics of brookies shows them in a pail. i have the pail with water in it because im up on big rocks and if the fish gets off goes down between the rocks and die cant get them. i put them in the pail after caught then dump them back into the pond.Image
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow, this is making me crazy to fish. At the same time, a friend is posting pics of bolete mushrooms that he's finding. Work is interfering with my fishing and foraging! But Friday looks good. It's definitely time to dust of the NY license. Oh man I might just have to get up extra early and get out there before work on Wednesday.

I like that you're using a jighead again! You just cast it out and let it sink 40 feet to the bottom?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Wow, this is making me crazy to fish. At the same time, a friend is posting pics of bolete mushrooms that he's finding. Work is interfering with my fishing and foraging! But Friday looks good. It's definitely time to dust of the NY license. Oh man I might just have to get up extra early and get out there before work on Wednesday.

I like that you're using a jighead again! You just cast it out and let it sink 40 feet to the bottom?
yes just like a sinker only a better attractor for the crawler. mushrooms wow i need to get some. got a couple of puff balls last week.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congratulations Matt, these are 2 very nice browns.
Let us know about the mount when you get it.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:Congratulations Matt, these are 2 very nice browns.
Let us know about the mount when you get it.
thanks gerry. i sure well ill post a pic on the forum.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/20/2017 went back up to the high peaks for some more trout action. hit the water early after a 1/2 hour drive . 2 rods set up with jig heads and crawlers . ist 5 minutes a run and fish on i land a nice brookie. then it slowed . fished 4 hours landing 4 brookies and missing at least 10 due to bottom structure hanging on to my line. ugh. not a good day but not a bad day either. those browns spoiled me but every time i fish now i anticipate hooking into a big trout, :)
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Nice to see the trout action picking up even with warmer temps, good job Matt those browns are fantastic!
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I tried one of my VT ponds yesterday morning, trying to salvage the day after work plans fell apart. I saw one fish break the surface, but nothing bit. These VT ponds just aren't that great for brookies. I made the illogical decision to drive to the Adirondacks for the afternoon.

I ended up with a few nice brookies, mostly caught on the bottom in about 40'. I did see a couple swim by about 10' down, and I caught one of those too. One of the brookies was very nice-- about 13" long, but with exceptional girth and colors. I wish I had a photo, but my phone's busted.

Thanks for the advice, Fishy1. I think I'm starting to figure this out, now that I'm more confident in my rigs and tactics.

Haha I know what you mean about getting spoiled by the big browns! I was thinking the same thing yesterday, that after I recently had a couple right place/right time experiences, I can't help get the idea that it's supposed to be easy to catch loads of giant trout. :)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/22/2017 hit the high peaks again in the adirondacks for some more trout fishing and wasnt dissapointed again. using my jig heads and crawlers again on bottom . ist 5 minutes 2 fish on lost 1 and landed 1 brookie. the bite was fast as brookies tend to bite in streaks . at 8 am i land a bullhead ugh. a little while later another ugh again. 40 fow and im catching bullhead. the wind was starting to pick up and with a strong current i was in trouble because my line would be getting hung up on bottom in the rocks and debris. at 9:15 am had a nice run closed the bail and ugh im stuck pulled on the rod and i also could feel a fish on. so i opened the bail and the line took off and got freed and fish on a good one. within seconds it came up right into the blinding sun and leaped up out of the water and back down . what have i here i was thinking then he made another run and out of the water he leaps again then one more time finally get it close and its a wild male brown in its spawning colors. got it in the net took a quick pic and set it free. then about 25 minutes later my line on the other rod starts going and heading south close bail quickly so i would get stuck and fish on and another good one. after a lengthy fight got it in the net took a pic and let it go to bite again. both were male browns and about the same length and looked like twins but the girth on the 2nd brown was bigger. had some company soon after as i got a surprise trout crazy was here. after talking for a few minutes he headed over to his canoe and went on the other side of the pond. i went home soon after. for the morning in 4 hours of fishing 2 nice browns and 15 brookies. a fun day and a nice day.
ist brown that thought he was a salmon.ImageImage
2nd brown looks like a twin but a little bigger girth
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

You've got them dialed in Matt!