fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 4/17/2017 waynes wild 8 lb brown posted 4/18/2017

Post by fishy1 »

8/28/2017 hit another trout pond this morning solo on shore 2.5 miles in on a state trail. it holds brookies and rainbows hoping to get some nice bows but it didnt happen. lost 1 about 15 inches but caught plenty of nice brookies. 16 in fact all 9 to 11 inches all were released to bite again. 42 degrees when i started walking in but 70 when i came out. 1 other fisherman in a canoe and he said the bite was off this morning but great sunday as he landed a 22 inch bow and several other bows.
one of my brookies
fishy1

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 4/17/2017 waynes wild 8 lb brown posted 4/18/2017

Post by fishy1 »

notice the pail in the pic my shoulder strap broke on my back pack and was not comfortable so i carried my gear in a pail. ugh.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice reports! I'm glad to hear you're catching them! I had a couple very good trout evenings in VT recently, but my last two trips were almost fruitless. Seeing those brookies makes me want to do some hiking and put my NY license to use!

About 11 days ago I tried for them at night under a light for the first time, and had incredible success: a PB 22" brown, and a bunch of others that I released. Kept the big one as it was hooked deep and I wanted to have a dinner party-- grilled it up whole!. Also caught a bunch of smelt. Two nights later I tried the same thing in a different lake and caught more rainbows than I knew what to do with (mostly released) and one brown. More smelt, too. Both nights were in about 45' of water with a big ball of smelt under the canoe.

So at that point, I'd been eating a lot of trout and I'd had enough but there was one nice rainbow left in the fridge still so I decided to try smoking it on the gas grill. I cut a dead branch off a lilac bush, chipped it up with a hatchet, and put it in an aluminum tray on one of the gas burners on low. Oh boy that was delicious! So then I wanted to catch more trout to smoke, but I cant seem to repeat the process of catching them at night. I've been skunked twice in the last few days (nights)! I did get a couple in a river and smoked them, but it's not the same. I'm hooked on the big, orange-fleshed pond trout!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

wow good report trout crazy. the night fishing for ponds in ny is large. mostly for rainbows though and also salmon. browns are spooky and are known to bite in low light hours and darkness. i like your report espcially the way you smoked them. sounds interesting. thanks for posting.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Fishy1, I tried to copy your rig today, but I think I didn't quite get it right. Is that just a snelled hook tied directly to the line, or is there a swivel in there?

This morning Facebook reminded me that I posted a picture of some nice brookies a few years ago on this day. It was from a spot where a brook feeds a reservoir, and seemingly all the trout in the lake were at the mouth of that brook that day. So I hiked to that spot today. The water is much higher and colder this year. I started out just throwing a little kastmaster, from an awkward, brushy and marshy spot. I really wasn't expecting to catch anything-- or maybe just something little-- so when I hooked into something big and heavy on the third cast I was totally caught off guard. It didn't run at all, just shook its head a few times... and got off the hook. Well, that got me all fired up for the rest of the day. I didn't catch a fish, though. I even put my canoe in the water and paddled to the same spot to get better access. Turns out the water is only 6' there. 62 degrees surface temperature-- same as the rest of the pond.

Hiked to a second pond. Got into a hissing fight with a pair of otters who wanted my spot. Tried a worm on the bottom, and casting various lures. Zero fish! It was still very pleasant to hike and shore fish.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Fishy1, I tried to copy your rig today, but I think I didn't quite get it right. Is that just a snelled hook tied directly to the line, or is there a swivel in there?

This morning Facebook reminded me that I posted a picture of some nice brookies a few years ago on this day. It was from a spot where a brook feeds a reservoir, and seemingly all the trout in the lake were at the mouth of that brook that day. So I hiked to that spot today. The water is much higher and colder this year. I started out just throwing a little kastmaster, from an awkward, brushy and marshy spot. I really wasn't expecting to catch anything-- or maybe just something little-- so when I hooked into something big and heavy on the third cast I was totally caught off guard. It didn't run at all, just shook its head a few times... and got off the hook. Well, that got me all fired up for the rest of the day. I didn't catch a fish, though. I even put my canoe in the water and paddled to the same spot to get better access. Turns out the water is only 6' there. 62 degrees surface temperature-- same as the rest of the pond.

Hiked to a second pond. Got into a hissing fight with a pair of otters who wanted my spot. Tried a worm on the bottom, and casting various lures. Zero fish! It was still very pleasant to hike and shore fish.
i tie a bell sinker on the end of the line 1/4 ounce lead free and about 12 to 18 inches above the sinker i make a loop and run the eagle claw 32,s #4 hooks loops through and then wrap the hook in and around and pull it through with no knot. this way i can change hooks without cutting the line. in the pic it shows snap swivles on this one because it was one of my casting rods that day . lots use 2 hooks above the sinker but if found over the years it just creates to many problems so i stick to one hook even ice fishing. hope this helps. when it cools off im going to head back into some ponds and hope to attach my water wolf to one one of my lines.
those otters cant be spooked and will ruin your fishing in ponds same as the loons. got to be patient though as the trout will work there way around the ponds feeding.
good luck and keep us posted. :)
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Haha, no, the otters were not impressed by my hissing!

Also, last week I had 11 (eleven!) loons charge right at me all at once!
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Gotta love those otters! Had to run to E town yesterday and checked some of my old trapping spots for them in essex county on the way hone! Ran buy this one house in Port Henry where this gray haired otter lives...lol
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Hairbone wrote:Gotta love those otters! Had to run to E town yesterday and checked some of my old trapping spots for them in essex county on the way hone! Ran buy this one house in Port Henry where this gray haired otter lives...lol

What kinda Otters you lookin' for Harry or are you confused and lookin' for another type of fur bearer:?: :!: :o :shock: :lol: :l>
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/11/2017 hit a roadside pond this morning with 0 results. got on the pond at 6:45 am with no place to fish from shore where i normally fish because of high water. so i went up the road to the north end and walked down where i have fished before. no place there either a tree down in the water the only spot to fish. went down farthur and fished off the bank a little unconfortable with no results the sinker rigged got stuck every time i tossed it out. left the pond at 9 am and decided to fish the ausable river . no results there either but i did have one good hit on a drift. warming up again a little to warm to walk back into the ponds for now.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/14/2107 been to warm to hike back into the trout ponds so i hit a big river today and it didnt dissapoint. started fishing at 7:15 am and left my split shots in the car so i grabbed the other rod with a 1/8 ounce jig on it applied a crawler and ist drift fish on i land a rainbow. the water was fast where i was so the jig helped. from that point on until 9:30 am i landed 15 rainbows and 2 browns. i was 17 for 26 losing a good one. by then mike (streamer) joined me with his fly rod and it wasnt long he landed a rainbow with his homemade fly. mike said he was on one side of the rock and the bow on the other side. had a great day on the river on a very warm day. ImageImage
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice color on that Rainbow...sounds like a great trip despite the warm weather.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I love fishing jigs. Nice to hear you had success with them!

After my two outstanding night trips, I haven't been able to find them again. I did lose one the other day.

When you say it's too warm, do you mean it's too warm to hike, or too warm for the fish to come up where we can get them?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:I love fishing jigs. Nice to hear you had success with them!

After my two outstanding night trips, I haven't been able to find them again. I did lose one the other day.

When you say it's too warm, do you mean it's too warm to hike, or too warm for the fish to come up where we can get them?
2 warm to hike way back and the fish arnt as active. had a great day this morning in a pond look for my post later on.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/17/2017 very warm this morning so i decided to head for the high peaks in the adirondacks for some trout action. my ist pond was busy with hikers and campers so i head higher for my 2nd option. arrived with noone there as yet at 7 am. walked down the road and down a bank to fish the 40 foot of water. put 2 jigs with crawlers on my lines. looking to catch some nice brookies. tossed out the ist rod and it takes awhile for it to hit bottom was setting the rod down on the rock and it stopped thought it was on bottom wrong the line took off at a high speed closed the bail and fish on and a big one. i was already picturing this big brookie in my mind then i realized i was up above the water and no net. ugh. so i was very careful with it as it was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing my drag on fire and wouldnt come up. after a few minutes i saw it down deep and i said to myself i have a ny state record brookie on then it turned and i noticed it was a big male brown trout. wow . after a few minutes more reach down in the water and tried to get my hand under its gill plate didnt come easy but i got it . i was shocked i just landed a wild male brown trout 25 inches. it was in its spawning colors. awsome!. considered having it mounted at the time. then the next hour or so landed some 10 inch brookies then my right rod the line was stiff and i had it slack. figuring the line was stuck so left it hoping a brookie would free it. about a minute later the pole bent abou 6 inches so i picked the rod up and sure enough stuck. so i pulled it harder and it started to move like i had a log on it so i started pulling the rod harder and then i realized i had a fish on and a big one. what a battle it was giving me down deep in the 40 fow . zzzzzzzzzzzzzing the drag every time i tried to bring it up. dont know how long this went on but it seemed like forever . when it got up a little in the clear water i saw it and i just stopped dead and said it cant be another wild brown. i said to myself how am i going to get him out of the water after about 5 more minutes i stepped down of the big rock i was standing on and stepped in the water up to nearly my knees handled him 4 times and got bit twice before easing him up on the big rocks. a big hog male brown. this one is going to be mounted what beautiful colors. 10:30 am left to get ice and head home. missed another one with a great run and landed 6 brookies for the morning. what an awsome morning fishing for brookies and land 2 wild browns.
here is the pic of the ist brown ist cast.

brown # 2 im having mounted

here i am with my granddaughter alayna before bringing ot fish to ed barber to do my mount.

Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.