fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds 2016

Post by fishy1 »

10/10/2016 weather forecast said 10 to 15 mph north wind so i decided to hit a pond where i could also fish on bottom where no pesky little bullhead were. so i chose 1 2.2 miles in . after a 1 hour and 10 minute walk started fishing at 8 am. set up 3 rods today because this pond is not included in the lci basin derby and in ny 3 rods are allowed. 2 bobbers and 1 on bottom. 8:10 am fish on an i land a nice 12 inch brookie. that would be it for the day though. fished until noon with 2 bobber downs and 2 misses. had a strong run on the bottom rod that peeled off at least 30 yards of line before i even got to the rod but missed him to. left to do some turkey hunting for that bigger hen and scored. will post it under the hunting section.
the 12 inch brookie.Imagescreen capture freeware
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/11/2016 bushwhacked into a pond today for some brookies and didnt get dissapointed. started fishing after at 25 minute hike at 7:20 am and set 2 rods with bobbers. wasnt 5 minutes and 2 fish on land 2 nice brookies. 28 degrees and steam coming off the water with no wind and good setting for brookie action. at 7:30 am my farthest bobber out in the pond dissapeared and was never to be seen again . started reeling in and nothing so i reeled faster and still nothing got almost to shore and fish on and a big one . it slammed the rod almost straight down and shook free of the hook. a beautiful big female brookie that i would guess topped 3 lbs or more. that brookie beat me in and i never saw the bobber after it took it down until it was at my feet. after that i had steady bobber downs and landed 17 brookies and missed several. left at 11:30 am and once in awhile i smelled smoke but didnt pay attention. when i got to the car there were forest rangers all along the road and and down farthur fire trucks. there was a forest fire not far from me back in the woods and thats i smelled. guess i wont be hitting either of those ponds tommorrow and its still going as of tonight and burned 2 acres. yikes. had a great day despite losing that big brookie and the forest fire. will post pics later.
the pond aroImageuploading picturesund 9 am this morning .Imageimage hosting no register
4 keepers badly hooked
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

Whoa. Sounds like an exciting day! I would love to see a brookie like the one you describe!
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I said it on your Sundays post and i will say it today. The trout ponds you're fishing are some of the finest i have ever seen. I have fished in Alaska Canada Maine NH and VT. Your ponds are outstanding.
Have you ever thought of being a fishing guide?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:I said it on your Sundays post and i will say it today. The trout ponds you're fishing are some of the finest i have ever seen. I have fished in Alaska Canada Maine NH and VT. Your ponds are outstanding.
Have you ever thought of being a fishing guide?
i agree with you our wild ponds in the adirondacks are great for trout fishing. i am sure though there are ponds in vermont to that are very productive. would like to hear from some vermont forum members on their trout pond experiences. the ponds i fish which are numerous and close to home i do see many vermont plates.
as for being a guide no thats not me dont want to take the fun out of what i like doing best. will take any kids though back in the trout ponds to teach them the outdoors and joys of fishing in a scenic pond.
sounds like you enjoy fishing as much as i and have experienced all types of fishing that i also do. :)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/12/2016 headed up to cacscades lake since there was a forest fire where i have been fishing. got there at 7:15 am and decided to explore the upper part where i never wet a line before. water was shallow there and after walking through the woods found a spot on the other side. fished from 7:35 am to 10:30 am with only 3 bobber downs landing 2 brookies. not very productive but was guessing it would be a hot spot in the spring since there was lots of trees in the water. i did see a couple of big trout surface there but no takers. hope to head back to my bush whacking ponds thursday morning.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/13/2106 went back to one of the original ponds i have been fishing since the forest fire was out. went into a pond closer to the road though since it was supposed to rain around 11 am. after a ten minute hike through the woods i got to the pond and set up on the south end because of a brisk south wind. no trail here and i havent fished this pond in 30 years. this pond isnt stocked anymore i beleive. ist 20 minutes no bites then bobber moving slowly started retreiving and fish on a real small brookie maybe 5 inches. was fishing with two bobbers since the bottom looked like trees in the water. then both bobbers started moving and i land 2 more small brookies maybe 6 inches. i had a feeling after this the brookies were going to be real small in here and i was right. fished until it started to rain at 10:45 am and left for the car. i landed 24 brookies and missed more than that because of their size and used lots of dillies. all were 5 to 8 inches. kept 3 8 inchers to check the color of the meat. the meat was real dark orange and 1 had eggs in her. so im guessing these brookies were born there. im going back to the stocking reports and to see when the last time this pond was stocked. although small they were feisty and i had fun. will try it again next spring. :)
this pond hasnt been stocked in about five years from what i looked up on the stocking reports.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

How big is this pond? To my it seams the growth of fish makes a difference in the water body size.
Here in VT our small beaver ponds hold small trout and the bigger the pond the bigger the trout.
Whats your opinion???? For me size you got today are the best to eat.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

AWESOME!!!!!!! I'm going in with you in the Spring for sure. I can't take it any more! It's been 20 yrs. since I have fished them. Thanks again.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

pond # 1 where i caught the small ones is 7 acres and 20 ft. deepest depth and shore length is 0.4 miles.
pond # 2 where i been getting the bigger brookies is 12 acres with the deepest depth at 25 ft. and shore length is 0.6 miles.
pond # 3 which holds browns and brookies is 20 acres and max 27 ft deep and 0.9 miles shore length.
pond #
4 which holds wild brookies is 15 acres and shore length is 0.7 miles and max depth is 45 ft.
these 4 ponds are in the same area there are more but these are the 4 i concentrate on. all but 1 is bushwhacking.
hope this helps.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/14/2016 went back into one of my favorite ponds today with clear skys and 27 degrees. cold on my hands since i dont see the sun until around 9:30 am. bush whacked back and started fishing in 1/2 hour or so. ist 15 minutes no bites using both rods with bobbers today. then bobber down i land a nice 12 inch brookie and release it. hardly any trout surfacing but a few minnows . then after that i got steady bites until 9 am then it cooled down and landed 7 brookies. after 10 am started getting some more bites and steady action. at 10:30 am bobber down and didnt come back up landed a nice 14 inch male brookie. taking it off the hook and my other bobber was down to let the fish down without unhooking it and grabbed the other rod and fish on a nice 13 inch male brookie. released it and kept the 14 incher since it was out of the water to long. fished until 11:45 am and went home. landed 20 nice brookies and missed half of that. my hands warmed up around 10 am finally with the sun. last day of trout season saturday so i might bushwhack furthur in to another pond. hopefully catch some nice ones and i will keep my limit for jimmer and brenda to eat.
here is what the pond looked like this morning.Imageimage hosting 12mb
released this one

Imagepicture sharingImageimage hosting site no sign up
the only brookie i kept
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/15/2016 last day of trout season in new york for most ponds and streams. bush whacked back in pond # 3 today that holds browns and brookies. after a 50 minute hike started fishing at 7:40 am using to rods with bobbers to start. ist 15 minutes 0 bites then shortly after i land a 6 inch brookie. at 8:15 am had both bobbers go down and i landed 2 nice 9 inch brookies. then silent until 9 am and bobber down and peeling off line closed the bail rod over and fish busted out of the water and got unhooked. couldnt tell but it looked like a good size brown. after that until 1 pm steady bites and all brookies ran out of dillies so had to hike out. landed 25 brookies and missed at least 10 or more. nothing overly big but feisty on the end of the line. it was 27 degrees in the morning and i had hand warmers this morning but coming out it felt like 80 degrees was warm and the hike over the hill was slower than normal because of the warmer air. i hour and ten minutes bush whacking out. my trout season was short in the spring and in the fall because of mother nature but i felt like i had a good year overall. hope to be able to do it again next year and continue my trout fishing posts. hoping to have jimmer wayne harry jimbow and other forum members join me next year in some of our great adirondack trout ponds.
here is the pond at 8 am this morning.
Imageimage hostingImageimage upload no limit
my 5 trout limit i kept for jimmer and brenda today for dinner
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice fishing Matt. We all can't wait for your next series of events; river or casting for lakers, but I'm wondering about the catfish. They always used to be voracious this time of year down here on the Connecticut River. Do you ever catch them in the fall ?Have you forgotten about Brute ? Some bass guys I know used to have verbal conflicts with duck hunters this time of year , maybe the case below the bridge? Whatever your next adventure is we all wish you the best of luck.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

C-Hawk where on the CT River are you? Traci and i don't live far from the CT River and we fish it often.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I am in Conway Ma., near Deerfield, only about 4 miles from the river. I grew up on the stretch from the Sunderland Bridge to the dam in Turners Falls. Had a boat and motor when I was 13.