fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 9/17/2017 wild browns page 15

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the report Troutcrazy, nice read.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

X 2 It was a good read.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks andric im drooling will be a long time yet for me to get in a trout pond here in the adirondacks. worms work great in trout ponds for trout use nothing else i sit back and relax. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/20/2018 still lots of ice on adirondack trout ponds.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

4/24/18 I fished a few different trout/crappie lakes in VT. It was quite windy. The first one has a sheltered cove where the crappies go, but the water was still too cold and they weren't in there. I cant quite remember but I think the water temp was 44 degrees. Last year they were in there at 53 degrees. I did see a lake trout in 1.5 feet of water where the water was almost 10 degrees warmer-- it followed my crappie jig and was about to bite it when it saw me and spooked. It was too windy to fish the rest of the lake so I packed up.

I went back to my favorite rainbow/big crappie lake and fished from shore. All the ice was gone. The wind was still pretty strong. I caught a few small rainbows on the smallest size rainbow Kroc.

The wind calmed a little so I paddled out to my brush pile, which sits on a big dropoff in very clear water. I anchored in about 35' of water, not sure exactly where the pile was because the chop made it hard to see, and I didn't want to get right on it in the clear water and spook the fish. Sure enough, the warm weather got the fish to my spot! Most of the crappies were caught under a bobber with about 4 or 5 feet of lead. I also caught a couple big slabs about 20 feet down right underneath the canoe. I caught a 17" rainbow trout on the bobber rig right on top of the brush pile! That was a first. Caught another big rainbow near the bottom in 35'. Both on crappie jigs-- Bobby Garland Baby shad orange/white and pink/green. The wind became magically calm before dusk and the crappies really turned on.

I usually keep crappies, but I didn't feel like cleaning fish, and I have a whole bunch of smoked salmon to eat. So I released everything. I must have caught 20 big crappies. A few of them were in the 14" class.

Trout were busting water as it got dark, but they weren't interested in my lures anymore.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

@troutcrazy...Great report. Thanks for posting.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

awsome andric those trout like to feed at night. those were some nice crappies to.
gseries69
Species: Anything on Fly

Post by gseries69 »

This time of year the trout were most likely feeding on a chironomid hatch, one of my favorite stillwater hatches.
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

I was able to get out to a trout pond near Ti on 5/5. The Brookies seemed to be keyed in on salamanders and a large dark colored nymph I wasn't familiar with. The nymph was size 10-12. We caught 12 brook trout between 8 and 15 inches in 3 hours, none on a bare worm. Wobbler and worm worked for 3 fish. Things seemed like they were really heating up and the warm weather this week should make this coming weekend ideal.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks sacospinner for the report. i see its your ist post. looking forward to more of your reports and hope to see some pics. to.
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

IMG_0297.HEIC
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

Ok, what’s the secret to posting pics? I tried copy and paste from a text and that didn’t work so well.
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

12” Brookie
12” Brookie
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

From your text message, send the pic to your gallery, or for me it's Verizon Media. Once in there, go to the bottom of the post, and click on attachments. Click add files, it should give you a choice, use documents if nothing else . Then choose gallery or Verizon Media, or whatever you need to find your pic. Choose your pic, click done or sometimes you need to click " open". That should do it. This sounds more complicated than it is. To me it's even easier than using a picture hosting site. Sometimes I'll even text the pic to my wife, just to get it to where I can send it to my gallery. This must do the sizing so that the forum accepts . Not that big a deal after you get used to it, especially since I'm texting pictures of good fish to everyone I know anyway.Looks like it has shown up now, nice brookie
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

6/22/18 I hiked 1.4 miles to a pond, hoping to catch a big brown from shore. Responsibilities kept me home for the morning, so it was almost noon by the time I got there, and sunny. When I was up above the water on big boulders, sitting still, I saw several browns (one at a time) very close to shore. Nice ones! They looked to be in the 15-17" size class, with at least one looking to be in the 20" class. I couldn't get them to bite, though. I tried worms on the bottom, worms under a bobber, worms on a jighead, and various spoons and spinners. They would sometimes follow but not bite, and sometimes they'd follow it up out of the depths right to the shore. Now I know where they are-- I'll be back soon, before dawn!

I did get one to bite, after it followed my bait out of the depths ZZZZZZ! and then gone so abruptly that I thought my knot had failed. Nope, it just got loose. I probably should have stayed until sunset, but I forgot my flashlight, and I was out of drinking water, and tired from the sun.