fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 9/17/2017 wild browns page 15

Post by fishy1 »

10/14/2017 hit the high peaks pond for the last time in 2017 . not that productive size wise but i did land 13 brookies all about 8 and 9 inches. lost a good one though brown probably and he went over my other rod and had a big mess. big ball of line. ugh. last day tommorrow for trout ponds so i invited a couple of kids to go with me one accepted the other his parents had plans. going in at at least 1.5 miles just not sure what pond yet.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow! Another nice brown! And I what a strange-looking skinny brookie you caught. Sounds like an incredible day, though.

Friday I fished a couple hours in a VT pond, hoping to
find the brookies crowding the feeder stream as I once did. No such luck. I did see a couple nice trout in the shallows there but they saw me before I could get bait to them. I caught a 10" stocked brookie and a 10" wild brown very close to shore in about 2' of water.

I did make it to the Adirondacks today but I was with a date so it was more of a picnic than a fishing expedition. I was hoping to run into you Fishy1 but we got there pretty late.

One more day to catch the big Adirondack brookie. I'm also thinking I'd like to hike in a couple miles, but I'm not sure I'm up to the drive again. I'll see how 5am feels...
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Wow! Another nice brown! And I what a strange-looking skinny brookie you caught. Sounds like an incredible day, though.

find the brookies crowding the feeder stream as I once did. No such luck. I did see a couple nice trout in the shallows there but they saw me before I could get bait to them. I caught a 10" stocked brookie and a 10" wild brown very close to shore in about 2' of water.

I did make it to the Adirondacks today but I was with a date so it was more of a picnic than a fishing expedition. I was hoping to run into you Fishy1 but we got there pretty late.

One more day to catch the big Adirondack brookie. I'm also thinking I'd like to hike in a couple miles, but I'm not sure I'm up to the drive again. I'll see how 5am feels...
i left the pond at 1;30 am heading into lost pond shortly with a freinds son
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1 wrote:
troutcrazy wrote:Wow! Another nice brown! And I what a strange-looking skinny brookie you caught. Sounds like an incredible day, though.

i left the pond at 1;30 am heading into lost pond shortly with a freinds son
pm
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/15/2017 last day of regular trout season in n.y. took a freinds boy for the 1.4 mile hike with the temp at 60 degrees at 6:45 am and very windy. got to the pond at 7:30 am and decided to fish the shallow side with lots of trees in the water . we couldnt use any bobbers with the stiff breeze coming in on us so everything had to go on the bottom. we set out 5 rods with crawlers. at around 8 am my smaller worm rod had a strong run and i missed. then shortly after another run and another miss. then nothing on all rods when at 9:15 am my worm rod has another strong run and fish on i land a nice 16 in brown. then at 10 am another run on the same worm rod and i land a rainbow. 3 more runs on that rod and misses and still none on the other 4 rods. then at 11:25 am a rod of mine on the end went slack thinking the wind did it picked it up and started reeling and fish on i land a brown. left the pond at 1 pm with 8 runs 7 on the 1 rod and 1 on the other. none for riley ugh. a weird day on the pond but riley was still a very positive kid all the way home. he likes fishing.
here is the 16 inch brownImage[/url[url=https://postimg.org/image/4hg77by1uj/]Image
riley and i after i got him home
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

How many rods can you fish per person?? That sounds like lots of fun...
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:How many rods can you fish per person?? That sounds like lots of fun...
matt in all of ny state except lake champlain its 3 rods per person. if vermont would go for 3 lines lake champlain would be that way also.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

some pics of my trout fishing this fall n.y.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Great highlight reel!
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice pic's Matt
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Great Year Matt, some really nice and some beautiful colored fish...lots of memories... :D
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for sharing your nice catches.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Great pics to wind up the season!

The last two weeks have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to report about my last day of ADK trout fishing on 10/15. No pics, sorry-- I'm having tech problems :(
I hiked 2.4 miles. I got a late start. Two guys were hiking out just as I was starting to hike in. They reported lots of 12" brookies but "nothing big". I started fishing around 11:00, and the sky was overcast. I saw a couple small brookies follow my bait but none bit for a few hours. Around 2pm the wind calmed and the sun came out-- it actually got hot. The bite turned right on! I caught a couple 10"ers on my worm rig. My second rod had a small kastmaster, as i'd been trying everything in my tacklebox to try to trigger a bite, and rather than re-bait I tossed that out and BOOM a 16" male bit it! I caught several more small ones on a crawler, and several more big ones (females) on the kastmaster.

The kastmaster really produced that day! People seem to dismiss them but I really enjoy them, and sometimes they really do the trick.

All fish were successfully released, except the big male, which was badly hooked. It was a PB brookie for me, but it also taught me a lesson: spawning brookies taste bad. So it was a little bittersweet as I felt sorry to have taken such a beautiful fish that didn't make for good food.

All told, it was the best brookie day I've ever had. Thanks for all the tips, Matt! I'm going to be looking forward to ice out in the spring, and hiking a lot more now that I'm confident in the tactics to use.

I'll probably get out one more time as VT season goes until Oct 31, but I think I'll target rainbows and try to leave the fall spawners alone.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

great report thanks for sharing your best brookie day with us. lots of fun back in our adirondack ponds.
also a big thank you for releasing those spawning brookies.
cant wait until spring either but lots of fishing a head of us till then.
got to get your camera fixed.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Well, I guess it's time to dig up this thread again :)

4/15/18
There's not a lot of weather that will keep me from fishing, but the ice covering everything and still falling from the sky almost did the trick yesterday. Luckily, I came to my senses mid-morning. I started on the NY side fishing for salmon. Water temp near shore was down a couple degrees since my last trip. The water out in the bay was warmer than the shallows. It was pretty murky and choppy, and I quit after a couple hours.

I headed back to VT to scout for open water, hoping for trout and maybe even crappies.

The first spot I checked, one of my favorites for rainbows and big crappies both, had about 125' of open water along the north shore. It was sheltered from the wind, the water surface was glassy, and the water clarity was crystal. Right away, I saw some kind of animal on the surface. As I got closer I saw it was a big fish with its back out of the water! It swam off, but when it came back I saw it was a big rainbow. I cast to it a bunch but it wasn't interested in a spoon. In a rush, I took the spoon off my preferred casting rod and tied on a hook with a worm. He didn't want that, either. At some point there was commotion right by the shoreline and another big fish (could have been the same one) swam directly away from the shore, trailing milt. After a while, I started to realize that the big fish was struggling, and probably dying. At one point it was on its side on the bottom.

I moved on down the shore. Leaving the worm on my main rod, I tied the smallest size rainbow Kroc onto my crappie rod that had 6lb test, and cast from a few other spots on shore. That did the trick-- BIG fish on! Too big, it turned out, as I couldn't bring him in with the light tackle. By this point I knew that they were big spawning rainbows, though I suppose it could have been a laker. I wish I could have gotten it in closer to where I could have seen it better, but it's ok that it got off as I would have released it.

Then I cast my worm out, under a bobber, set down the rod, and reached for my spoon rod. Couldn't see the bobber-- fish on! I landed this one, a 20" male, all colored up. I feel remorseful for this: he really swallowed the hook. I don't want to keep spawning trout, but I'm not gonna waste a gut-hooked fish either. It was actually a really ugly trout, probably fresh from the hatchery truck, with a bulbous head and weird deformed fins and tail. The fillets are pale. Hopefully it tastes ok after it goes in the smoker. I looked at the state stocking schedule, and they'd already stocked the lake this year, but it said they'd stocked only small ones. Who knows, maybe they put in some big ones too without reporting it.

So after that I decided I don't want to target spawning rainbows anymore, and I leave that lake to scout for brown trout waters. No luck with that quest, so I return to the first lake and put my canoe in, for the last couple hours of daylight. I know of an impressive pile of brush in this lake, right on a dropoff. I don't usually expect to find crappies on brush this time of year, but I thought it was such a good dropoff that maybe I'd find them. On the way to the brushpile, a fish busted water, and I cast to it. Fish on! Another big rainbow! This one was beautiful, with all it's fins healthy and perfect. Nice kype, too. I got my thumb in its mouth and was able to release it without taking it out of the water.

Then I cast a jig at the brushpile and counted it down 1 missisippi, 2missisippi..... 12... thump! Pulled in a big ol crappie but it flopped off the hook as I pulled it out of the water. Don't worry, there were more. I managed two around 12", and two around 10".