fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns updated 2/28/2017

Post by fishy1 »

4/13/2017 hit the lake at 3:30 for some shore casting. went to my favorite spot but was full of debris with the stiff wind blowing so walked back out and went up a little farthur to find some better casting water with the same depths 2 to 10 fow. approx 4 pm when i started fishing this spot . wind was gusty out of the north so i put on a 3/8 ounce blue mackeral krocodile. about the 10th cast just started to reel and a fish stopped me dead and was off within seconds. then about 15 minutes later about 10 feet from me saw a salmon smack my lure and fish on . my drag zzzzzzzzzzzing and remembering yesterday i said this one isnt going to shake loose no mistakes. every time i get it in close to the net it was make a huge run. what a battle but i won after at least 8 good runs with my drag zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing. it was bouncing wildly on the rocks and scales were flying all over so i didnt think it would survive so i kept it . a little while later had another hit close to shore and it shook loose. at 5:25 p, a strong hit out a ways this time and fish on i land a nice salmon about 19 inches or so. left at 6 pm landing 2 missed 2 and lost 2 not a bad afternoon. all hits were in less than 10 fow. the blue kroc really did perform today. the salmon i kept was 25 inches and 5.9 lbs on a rapala digi scale.
here is a pic of the salmon 15 minutes after i landed it.Imagepost imgcertificity.comImagescreen shot pccertificity.com
here is a pic right after i landed it. much more silver.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Nice Fish! Thanks for sharing!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Nice one Matt! This is great! It really seems like we're seeing a lot of big, healthy holdovers from the lamprey control efforts and a lot of catch and release practices. Keep at 'em!
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice fish MATT. It's a fat one. Someone in another post today said we will be catching some big salmon this year and i think the same. I think we will have a new Champlain record for Salmon this year. Do you?

I will be keeping my eye on the forum for your post and all the others very closely for the next few days.
I had my gallbladder out today and the doctors advice was to go fishing and not to work for a week or two. So if the weather is good next week i will be there. And the information I get from reading the forum will give me a good start when i get there. Colors/depth/trolling speeds/etc. it's almost like cheating. LOL
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Good fish Matt, don't worry about keeping one fish, that's fine table fare...water and fishing heating up.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Way to go Matt, hope to be up next week.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Oh man beautiful fish! Great report! I'm wicked excited to get out tomorrow. I borrowed a yellow Hobie Mirage pedal kayak from a friend, and I'll be testing that out. It seems like a really nice boat. So I'll be much faster than my little green canoe, and hands-free! Maybe see you on the water!
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Beautiful fish. Thanks for the report!

Got my boat out from under its winter blanket and prepped for water. Now I just have to get work and weather to cooperate so I can get out and help with some posts of my own.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Nice fish MATT. It's a fat one. Someone in another post today said we will be catching some big salmon this year and i think the same. I think we will have a new Champlain record for Salmon this year. Do you?

I will be keeping my eye on the forum for your post and all the others very closely for the next few days.
I had my gallbladder out today and the doctors advice was to go fishing and not to work for a week or two. So if the weather is good next week i will be there. And the information I get from reading the forum will give me a good start when i get there. Colors/depth/trolling speeds/etc. it's almost like cheating. LOL
don i think a record salmon will be caught soon to. come on down don the lakers ,salmon and browns are waiting for you.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

04/14/2017 headed to the lake at 7 am to try my favorite spot. after a short walk starting casting at 7:15 am and on the very ist cast with a fishy1 casting honey bee fish on only to shake loose. water was a little stained from the north blow yesterday but not bad could see my bee in the water. at 8 am after a boat passed by me trolling a sharp hit and fish on i land a nice 19 or 20 inch silver. netted it shook the bee hook out and watched him swim away . the next hour no hits then a hit and a miss. then nothing until 9:40 am and a rod stopper hit and out of the water about 2 feet in the air fish on and a nice one. after about 4 times busting water finally put him in the net and got the hook out and again watched it swim away. a nice 21 or 22 inch silver. noone with me as my nephew slept in so no pics. no wind and nice and sunny even though it was 32 degrees :D
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

Matt, I'll be up next week sometime I'll let you know maybe we'll hit the lake together ;) ....keep up the good work...Jimbow
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I'm looking at Tuesday weather permitting to come up around the bridge for the day. Traci is working so I might bring my cousin along. She loves fishing and I may need some help on this trip. Do you know if the dock is in under the Bridge yet ?
Then on Thursday or Friday Traci and I will be back up and would like to meet you and she has some worms for you Matt and Jimbow. This may not work for you and thats not a problem.We will know more next week and i will PM you and Jimbow. In the mean time i will be watching the forum very closely. Thanks Don
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Beautiful catch Matt. You deserve to keep one once in a while ;)
Like others mentioned, there seems to be much bigger fish caught this spring. It is a good feel for the rest of the year.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Skunked again, and not for lack of trying. Anyone hook up today?
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

Sawyer wrote:I'm looking at Tuesday weather permitting to come up around the bridge for the day. Traci is working so I might bring my cousin along. She loves fishing and I may need some help on this trip. Do you know if the dock is in under the Bridge yet ?
Then on Thursday or Friday Traci and I will be back up and would like to meet you and she has some worms for you Matt and Jimbow. This may not work for you and thats not a problem.We will know more next week and i will PM you and Jimbow. In the mean time i will be watching the forum very closely. Thanks Don

Don, let me know which day (Thursday or Friday) you will be going up in a PM and I will try and meet with you. I think next week will be a good week since the water is warming every day. I will try and meet up with Fishy prior if I can. Good luck on Tuesday and let me know how you make out :) ....Jimbow