fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Yesterday 4/20 the sun came out and the wind was calm all morning, but nothing was biting. Then the north wind showed up around 11:30 and I learned the meaning of "salmon chop". They really turned on! Kept two around 18", and released a few more. They bit close to shore. Water temp was almost 2 degrees warmer near shore. The first few bit a brown trout Rapala. Then I switched to a rainbow Kroc and they bit that too. I didn't stay because I was satisfied, and the wind was tough, and I wanted to go find crappies.
i heard you had a fun day. i was out of town.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/22/2018 hit the lake this morning targeting salmon or browns. ist lure of the day was a fishy1 honeybee casting spoon. water was smooth so i knew the salmon were going to be a tough catch close to shore in the clear shalllow water. started fishing at 7:30 am with many boats out in front of me. lots of whooping and hollering so the bite was on. over 1 hour with the fishy1 with no hits. so i decided to put on a 3/8 ounce 2 and 3/4 inch rainbow krocodile to cast farthur out. 3 rd cast a hit and fishing busting water i land a nice maybe 20 inch salmon hurried to release it to get that lure out there but no more hits. a forum member came up in his boat and said they landed 2 nice salmon below me in 5 fow on their boards. then a freind is out a little ways and says there jumping right out in front where i was fishing i said yes but its tough bite for me because the lake was flat and they could see me. i told him i had several followers but they would spook away. moved down about 50 yards and ist cast fish on after a brief fight it shook off probably not more than 17 inches. had to leave at 10:15 am . was happy to see the trollers doing well at least the ones trolling the shore line i saw many landed. at 9 am i counted 21 boats trolling in the area. looks like its going to be a great year for salmon . :D :D :D :D
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Were you fishing the bay by the bridge Matt? Traci and i fish their Saturday after noon with no luck and went back this morning arownd 10 am and nothing we even ran a board very close to the shore down along the RR tracks down into the bay past the first 3 or 4 camps. maybe were not getting out early enought in the AM. This was our first weekend at the new camp.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

yes i was don . saturday i was out of town and this morning i left at 10:15 am or around there. just got some pics from a freind there were 4 for 6 with 3 over 4 lbs or more. they left at noon i think
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/24/2018 hit the water this morning at 7:45 am for some shore casting for salmon and browns. put a rainbow 1/4 ounce krocodile on to start an hour went by nothing. so i went down to my favorite spot where i can sit once in awhile and still cast. tough on my legs where im casting . so i moved to my spot made a few casts had a drink and a sandwich was looking down in the water saw some baitfish that turned out to be smelt. ate my sadwich and going through my box looking for a match and i did a sinker like lure thin and silver with a single hook on it. out it on and 2nd cast bam fish on and put a nice salmon in the net went to take a quick pic before releasing it when it jumped straight up out of the net an into the water. left scales on the rock hope it makes it. then a few minutes later another solid hit and fish on i land a salmon released it immediatly. in the next hour i land another and then lose 2 busting water. i was 3 for 5 and all 5 hit within 10 yards of me on shore. all were tough catches being so close to me and them busting water.
3:30 pm went back to that spot with the same lure. 5th cast a sharp hit and it shook loose. not long after just as i was about to take the lure out of the water one comes out of nowhere and hits my lure right at my feet busts water and throws the lure right past my leg. ugh another one almost got me.
then about 10 minutes or so later a strong hit and before i could react out of the water with my lure in its mouth a pig of a salmon and fish on but it was short lived when he went back down shook loose. ugh. then i went about 20 minutes nothing so i took another break drinking my pepsi looking down i see a salmon swim by . so i started casting 3rd cast fish on i finally put one in the net. had to leave for supper soon so i was hurrying my cast and just before i left at 5:15 pm another hit and the 3rd time he busts water it shook loose. every salmon today hit within 10 yards of me not one hit beyond that. pretty much the norm for me here this time of the year. i had a blast today and did keep 1 salmon for fmb bait. rain tommorrow all day but i dont think it will be stopping me . :lol:
here is the pic of the scales on the rock of the one that jumped out of the net and back into champlain.

Imagefree image host
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Matt, looks like you're doing much better than most of us on boat. Keep at them.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:Matt, looks like you're doing much better than most of us on boat. Keep at them.
gerry what i have seen so far the trollers are doing better than i but my bite is picking up now that im back to my favorite spot. i have personally seen salmon caught consistently out if front of me everytime i been on shore by the trollers. butcher is a good example as he and 2 other forum members did really well out in front of me sunday. i was 1 for 3 in 3 hours but wasnt at a very good spot and the lake was calm fish were spooked on shore.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice report! Sounds like a good day. I guess spring is finally here! Makes me want to get right back out there, but I have to get some work done.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/25/2018 hit the lake again this morning at one of my favorite spots for shore fishing. calm conditions salmon will be spooky and a light rain falling off and on. went with that small silver lure again even though it was cloudy to see what happens. i just need to know. :) within 5 minutes had 2 try and attack my lure at my feet but would quickly shy away . i said to myself its going to be a tough morning and cant really conceal my self here. so i decided to throw up and down the shore line instead of throwing out. next half hour no hits but again i see 3 or 4 salmon chasing at my feet. a couple good ones to. i started fishing at 7:10 am and 8:30 am had at least 7 or 8 followers. going to get lots of laughs what im about to do next. i moved from my spot a little ways and squatted down and actually got on my knees and started casting. 5 minutes later up comes a salmon smashes my lure and fish on got him in the net a small one maybe 17 inches hook came out in the net flipped it back in. then for the next hour and a half had more than 4 followers and 6 smash my lure within touching distance of them all 6 got loose with there wild jumping and only 3 feet or less line at the end of the rod. i would have loved to have someone with me to video it . dont think i ever have been so excited trying to land salmon in the net while busting water and splashing me with water in my life. its just incredible 2 days of shore fishing and not one hit out farthur than 10 yards. i missed everyone in the net 2 jumped right over it and still didnt get them. :lol: today not one hit beyond my feet saw everyone smash my lure what an amazin morning. if i had been on flat ground would have easily landed most of them but not in this spot. i was 1 for 7 but and saw several shy away but i had a blast to say the least. several were in the 4 to 6 lbs range also. 3 boats out there and im sure they heard me having fun. :D my knees are a little sore though.
cjpinvt
Species: all

Post by cjpinvt »

That sounds great! I'm itching to go today...might just go get wet for a while looks like it's going to slow for about and hour.
Butcher
Species: cold water

Post by Butcher »

Sounds Fun Matt!!!!
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Thats amazing Matt. I can see how it would be hard to net a fish that just got hooked fish that close to you have No time to get tired befour you net them.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Matt that sounds great! It's super exciting to get fish so close to shore, especially when you can see them following or biting! Those two sunny days seem to have done the trick, turning fish on everywhere.

Haha you need kneepads or a cushion :)
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I is a great experience watching Matty cast from shore!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/26/2018 had a drs appoitment today got home in the afternoon and wanted to go casting later. had 2 shots in my stomach today and was kind of sore but decided to go at 5:30 pm. started casting at 5:40 pm in a gusty wind swirling and cooling off. saw a good one bust water to my left. kept casting in that direction no hits. then around 6 pm my lures was tangled as i could feel it winding so kept coming a little fast then i felt something twitching then bam rod doubles over salmon bust water and away he goes. the lure was still side ways and tangled never got the hooks in him im guessing. ist time ever i had a hit on a tangled lure. wow. then about 10 minutes later a sharp hit and a miss. both hits were out at least 50 feet ist time this spring in this spot had hits away from shore. left at 6:45 pm as the shots in my stomach were taking hold and hurting from the casting.