fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore

Post by fishy1 »

4/13/2018 hit the shore line this morning around 7:45 am at a freinds camp for some salmon casting. put on a 1/2 ounce 2 and 3/4 inch rainbow krocodile and my freind had on a 3/8 ounce little cleo. nothing for an hour when we saw a salmon bust water we both threw our lures quickly out there but my freind couldnt reach as i have my salmon/steelhead rod 9 ft 6 inch i got it out in his area and bang fish on 1 busted water 2 bustes water again and 3rd again and threw the treble hook. ugh not overly big but a silver. about 9 am i tild him i was moving up near the mouth of a stream as he got a call to go to work. with the winter advisery for the weekend i doubt if ill be able to fish at the camp again for awhile. the salmon are certainly there.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/16/2018 hit the lake this morning for some salmon action and got wet ugh. lost one small salmon and had 1 other hit. then this afternoon tried again got set up and down i came again in buckets. ugh. walked back to the car and went home. hope there is an end to this climate change soon. :(
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Really tough weather!
Was the water still muddy?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Really tough weather!
Was the water still muddy?
not where i was. :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/17/2018 hit the lake this morning in and out of the steady rain. casted a couple of hours off and on after going to dunkin donuts to get a coffee and some donuts for the kids. real calm day on the lake but the rain was steady. about 9 am i had a tiny hit near shore in 2 fow and i land a alewife, ugh. saw more surfacing after and saw a couple of good size fish surface also right where the school of alewifes were. but no hits at all in this spot. stayed close to the car with the rain.
here is the alewife i caughtImage
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

did the alewife hit our did he get hooked be accident?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:did the alewife hit our did he get hooked be accident?
it hit . i have caught them before. lots chase the lure in and then when they see you they spook
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Interesting i wonder if i could catch or trap them? they would make good bait
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Matt did you use that alewife for bait? :?: I would...match the hatch...set it up like you do with smelt... :ugeek:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jimbow wrote:Matt did you use that alewife for bait? :?: I would...match the hatch...set it up like you do with smelt... :ugeek:
no i didnt jim let it go.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/18/2018 went over to the camp only to find hundreds of cormorants and mergansers there fished an hour or so for bullhead and pan fish no bites so headed home but stopped on the lake for some salmon fishing . started out casting with a blue mackeral 1/2 ounce krocodile so i could reach out little farthur. 3 boats trolling out in front of me . ist 1/2 hour no hits. then it happened a small alewife floated into me so i picked it up and put it on my other rod with a bobber on. alewife was still alive set it down 3 feet from the bobber and attached a split shot half way down. tossed it out in the 8 fow and went back to casting. had a good hit casting and pulled the hooks out of its mouth. ugh. then 15 minutes or so the bobber just flew out of the water along with a salmon fish on. after a small battle i land maybe a legal 15 inch salmon but left it in the water unhooked it and released it. just before i was about to leave had a hit on the kroc and fish on i land another small salmon released it again without taken it out of the water. went back for awhile in the afternoon and met up with trout crazy we had a good conversation. ill let him post with his results. west wind was bad in the afternoon blew my hat off once.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Hit the water a little before noon. I saw other boats catching fish, but I couldn't get a bite. So I switched my presentations until I got one salmon about 18". It bit a small Rapala "countdown" , in the brown trout color.

Oh boy, when that wind shifted from south to become west, and then waves started coming from two directions... that was a wild ride in the canoe.

Nice talkin to you, fishy1. I went to try my crappie/rainbow spot but it wasn't as nice in the west wind, and I wasn't inspired to canoe to the crappies. Fished from shore for an hour but nothing bit.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Nice job, Fishy and TC! Glad you were able to land some silver. Little Rapala's in brown trout and brook trout work well on salmon in the spring. I hope to test out a few myself this weekend!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

jimbow wrote:Matt did you use that alewife for bait? :?: I would...match the hatch...set it up like you do with smelt... :ugeek:
Good advice, and it worked!! :D
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Yesterday 4/20 the sun came out and the wind was calm all morning, but nothing was biting. Then the north wind showed up around 11:30 and I learned the meaning of "salmon chop". They really turned on! Kept two around 18", and released a few more. They bit close to shore. Water temp was almost 2 degrees warmer near shore. The first few bit a brown trout Rapala. Then I switched to a rainbow Kroc and they bit that too. I didn't stay because I was satisfied, and the wind was tough, and I wanted to go find crappies.