fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore

Post by fishy1 »

streamer wrote:I saw a bass with similar looking growth last week in Plattsburgh. Swimming near the surface by one of the docks.
wow anymore fisherman seeing this on the lake? i dont like this scene at all.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

this is a sheephead i landed last summer look at its head.

upload an image
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Matt, I remember that sheepshead picture from last season, just as gross as the walleye. I wonder what causes it? Maybe its the camera angle but that pickerel looks huge! I walked the headwaters of a catskill mountain stream today and landed over 20 native brookies, all small, the biggest was only about 9" but very nice colors. Most of the pools were less than 3 to 4 feet across and I was above 2000' elevation so I guess there may be fish in the 12" to 14" range but far and few between in such small water. Still a great day, and I don't think I fatally hooked a single fish :) . Should be seeing you on the lake within a week.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

the pickeral was 24 inches and put up a good fight. gave it to a freind who loves pickeral as he was showing me how to fillet the meat off without all the bones the pickeral had a 9 inch rainbow in its stomach. those arnt bad size brookies for wilds. i landed some wilds this morning also in a pond but nothing over 8 inches. must be your boat is almost ready if your coming up.
fishy1

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore jimmers big pike 5/3/2016

Post by fishy1 »

5/3/2016 my freind jimmer joined me tonight for some shore salmon fishing. started off slow until we got to my favorite spot. 2nd cast jimmer says i dont know what i got but its big. i scrambled for the net and the same time i saw the fish i said holy crap hang on is your drag set. came towards me and i couldnt get the net close enough because of the slippery rocks so out it goes again. i said hang on jimmer bring it back in he is going in the net. jimmer still didnt know what he had on the end of that line. finally it headed for the net and i swung the net as hard as i could to get it all in and away from the water . when i got him up to jimmer he bit the net and went right through my net and jimmer grabbed it and held on as tight as he could. after that it was wild trying to keep it away from the water. finally i had jimmer hit it on top of the head to quiet it down and it did. jimmer just landed a 40 plus inch pike that weighed on my rapala digi scale out at 15 lbs 1 ounce. what a beast. fished for awhile more with jimmer missing a salmon and we both caught a couple of bass. once again all fish hit less than 15 feet from shore. i gave jimmer a high five and a few more i think we were both very happy and surprised. now i guess you all know what bit my line off last week. :oops:

here is the incredible pike
image upload no registration
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed May 04, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Thanks Matty!!!!!! Sure was a great time. Thanks for the use of that lure also!!!!! We sure got him back for stealing your darn lure. Great job on the net!!!!!
blackfly
Species: all

Post by blackfly »

nice fish
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Nice fish! Thanks for the story too.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Heck of a Pike Jimmer....good job!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Beasty pike. Great job netting it.
Was it caught on the new "secret" Tamiron lure?
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:Beasty pike. Great job netting it.
Was it caught on the new "secret" Tamiron lure?
no it was caught on my favorite lure of all time a luhr jensen 3/8 ounce rainbow krocodile silver. i only have one of these and i let him use it. i was using a krocodile silver prism 1/2 ounce.
RYBAK
Species: pike, bass, trout

Post by RYBAK »

Hi guys,

I am from south NH. We do not have pike fishing here like you do. Can you tell me what be a good area on your lake to come for pike fishing? Is it good time now or it is a little bit early? I understand that in 2-3 weeks it will be better. Is there a chance that if I make this long trip from my area I would catch something? Your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Monster! If you can fillet out those Y bones you'll have a months worth of great dinners there!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

RYBAK wrote:Hi guys,

I am from south NH. We do not have pike fishing here like you do. Can you tell me what be a good area on your lake to come for pike fishing? Is it good time now or it is a little bit early? I understand that in 2-3 weeks it will be better. Is there a chance that if I make this long trip from my area I would catch something? Your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
i sent you a pm.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote:Monster! If you can fillet out those Y bones you'll have a months worth of great dinners there!
i have a freind that is going to take them out for me tommorrow.