fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns updated 2/28/2017

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Thanks Fishy for the up date. I went to St Albans bay and fished for white peach. Three of us had 4 pails of them. The ice was good for this time of year.
PS
I got the boat ready so let me know when the ice is out around the bridge.
Thanks DON
good job don hope you had fun with them and kept everyone of them.
will let you know about the bridge area the ice is looking really weak right now. snow storm coming though.

i
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/30/2017 hit the lake again hoping to get some salmon/trout action headed a little farthur north. started casting at 7:20 am into a strong north wind . put on a 1/2 ounce blue/siilver krocodile so i could easily cast into the wind. 8 am and no hits so went to my car and took a little break and a sandwich . watching out the window i saw a nice size salmon leap out of the water and back down. headed back down with high hopes but nothing no hits at all took another break at 9 am and went back to fishing 2nd cast a hit and fish on i land a small salmon but at least i landed one. fished until 10:30 am with one more hit and called it a day.
went back to that same spot at 3:30 pm with the sun out and wind dropped alot. fished until 6:15 pm with no hits. saw 4 salmon bust all the way out of the water and had a beast of a brown surface 15 feet from me near shore twice. couldnt entice not one fish to hit . i guess thats why its called fishing. wont give up and will be back there ist chance i get. hopefully i can fish my home grounds next week.
this mornings salmon was aprox 17 inches long shook it off the hook and released to bite another day.
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Seeing salmon jumping must get the blood pumping. Like always looking forward to reading your post.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

[quote="Sawyer"]Seeing salmon jumping must get the blood pumping. Like always looking forward to reading your post.[/quote
yes it did don but the brown really got it pumping so close to me in 3 fow. it needs to warm up some though.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

fishy1 wrote: watching out the window i saw a nice size salmon leap out of the water and back down.(...) i land a small salmon but at least i landed one.
Nice to hear the salmon are finally making an appearance, now if only the weather can cooperate and give us some decent fishing conditions.... it's been too long since I felt the tug of a landlocked on my fly rod! Gratz for your catch Matt even a 17 incher is fun to land.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Leave it to Matt to liven up the forum.
EagleCrag
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by EagleCrag »

Tried my luck on a trib Sun & Mon but only caught cold hands & feet. I fished upstream and not near the mouth where I heard some folks had a few hits. The good thing is that I had the sections where I fished all to myself. It was good to get out and give my casting arm a little exercise after a long winter's rest. I suspect there aren't many salmon upstream very far but I was hoping there might be some cooperative browns or steelhead. Ah well, it was fun just getting out there. The river temp was 34 degrees.
Last edited by EagleCrag on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Thanks for the reports, fellas! It's time to switch gears from ice to open water! (pun intended) I'll be out there Sunday.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/2/2017 headed up north for some shore fishing in one of my favorite spots got there at 7:15 am and got a huge surprise it was all iced in. ugh! so headed to another spot and nothing doing there either so went back to my ist spot. found a little spot where i could cast some until hopefully it floated away from shore. about 9 pm or so had a strong hit and fish on but shook loose under the ice. got a text from windknot who was fishing a river around 1/2 hours away and he was heading my way since no luck on the river. soon after a car pulled in behind my car and put a canoe in and went out crashing through the slushy ice. he then started yelling my name still didnt know who it was told him to come in to shore. he came in and it was trout crazy another lcu member. we talked and i told him some spots to try and off he went. windknot showed about the same time and i went over to join him. wasnt long out with his waders to my right he casts in to shore and he has a hit and fish busted water and shook loose. that would be it for us and we went home. decided to go back and got there at 3:30 pm and trout crazy was still there and to my far right in his canoe. right in front of me and between trout crazy there were multiple salmon busting water . sometime a little after 4:30 pm trout crazy came in with a big smile on his face with his 2 limit of salmon including a nice healthy 22 incher. he finally got his salmon which gave each other took some pics of a very happy lcu member. right after taking the pics went to pull my bobber in with a dead bait on fell a tug like i was hung up but it pulled back and robbed my bait. ugh! we couldnt beleive it. after an ugly start turned out pretty good.
here is the pic of trout crazy biggest salmon. he will also report later on how he caught it since i wasnt there.Imageimage hosting 20mb
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

That thing is a tank!
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Nice fish!!!!! I guess it tis' the season!!!!
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Good job Troutcrazy! Nice to see you were luckier than we were. Hopefully things will pick up after the ice is totally gone.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice report Matt...
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice clean fish it shine like a new nickel
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

That's awesome, Trout Crazy! I think we saw you out there in the canoe yesterday ... Perchbait and I were trolling on the NY side and saw someone casting near shore in a green canoe. Looks like you had much better luck than we did! Congrats!