fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns updated 2/28/2017

Post by fishy1 »

tamiron wrote:
fishy1 wrote:3/1/2017 5 or 6 minutes later some alewifes surfaced and floated away. left at 9:30 am with no hits.
Fishy1:

How big were those alewives that floated to the surface?
they were between 4 and 5 inches same with the smelt
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

How many were they? and why do you think they floated to the surface?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:How many were they? and why do you think they floated to the surface?
i saw 4 alewifes and 1 smelt come up right after lakers were busting water not more than 5 feet from me.i have seen this alot up north while fishing for lakers and some of the forage are stunned im guessing, some revive and swim away after a few seconds. if i can get to them quickly ill try to get them and set them on another rod for bait.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Fishy1:
How big were the alewives? 2 inches, 3 inches 4 inches????

Lake trout often feed by stunning a bunch of bait and going back to pick up the stranglers/wounded.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/8/2017 hit the lake a little north hopeing to get into a trout or a salmon. wind was calm water was clear and sunny out. put on a honey bee casting spoon and decided to walk the shore line and make 5 casts in each spot. did this and it took me just a little over and hour with no hits and no fish surfacing.
this afternoon in between the rain went a little south and decided to do the same walk the shoreline and 5 casts in each spot. water was a little stained here so i changed the honey bee to a fishy1 nothing surfacing and no hits for the ist 5 or 6 spots then the rain came down again got underneath a tree for a few minutes until it stopped. started again and nothing then about the 8th or 9th spot on my 3rd cast i started my retrieve and a good hit my rod lunged forward then let go and then lunged forward again and fish on for a second and it shook loose. then the rain came down and i headed for the vehicle which was a quarter mile away. whatever it was it was a nice fish.
hopefully i can get back down there in the morning.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

.... and during this time I spent the entire day in front of my computer fixing bugs..... Do you want to trade place a day or 2 ? ;)
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/10/2017 headed down to the lake at 10 am for a little spin casting from shore a 5 mph north wind blowing so i decided to try a different spot where there was still ice and a big enough hole to cast down in deep bay. 29 degrees so i brought some hand warmers along in case after the 15 minute walk. my ist cast with the fishy1 honeybee was hit instantly and busting water with my fishy1 in its mouth fish on . 2nd time busting water again and 3rd time again and 4th time again still i didnt know what was on the end of the line but i knew it was a good one. no net again but knew if i played it enough i could land it safely. as i got the fish closer to shore it was staying down and i finally got a look at it and i said wow if thats a brown its a good one. just as i got another look it started head twisting and off it came and on its way . i dropped my rod just enough to help the fish loosen the hook out. still not sure if it was a brown but sure looked it and fought like one also. they bust water but rarely come all the way out like a salmon. checked the fishy1 hook out looked okay and started casting again about 10 minutes later a good hit and fish on i land a nice 2 or 3 lb smallmouth. that was fun also. fished another hour or so with 1 more hit and left for home. ill be back after that fish for sure. :)
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Sounds like the fish are getting hungry down your way Fishy. I hear there catching some good perch down by the bridge.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Sounds like the fish are getting hungry down your way Fishy. I hear there catching some good perch down by the bridge.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
the bridge is on the other side of the lake from me i am looking at the lights on it as i type. i catch white perch and yellow perch there all year plenty to go around. was there last week fishing lakers and a couple were catching some jumbo yellows under the bridge from shore. are they the ones you are referring to.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

No. The info i got was from VT ice shanty under the Crown point post. He was in a boat
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/13/2017 everything is iced in at home again after the storm on tuesday and wednesday will have to head north to open water for fishing.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/29/2017 hit the lake north this morning since im still iced in here at home. hopefully wayne would show up later with a good cup of dunkin donuts coffee. hit the lake at 7:15 am with a slight north wind and 35 degrees. set up one rod with a blue/silver krocodile and another with a fishy1 honeybee casting lure. my ist cast wasnt a good one as my drag somehow got loosened and out came a big ball of line. ugh. played with it for about 10 minutes got it out and had to take another 15 or 20 feet off the reel. tightened my drag back where i wanted and i was good to go. approx 1/2 later had a sharp hit and fish on after a brief battle it shook loose . it hit the fishy1 bee. wind was picking up so switched to the 1/2 ounce krocodile until wayne showed up with my coffee. no hits. just before wayne got there a 5 inch alewife floated in to shore so i decided to convert the krocodile lure to a hook and put the alewife on and toss it out on bottom to see what happens. drank my coffee warmed my hands up and wayne decided to split away from me about 100 yards. 9:30 am and no hits for either wayne and i when i heard a funny noise like ice crackling looked over at my rod with the alewife on and it was dancing on the shore ice ran over grabbed the rod and removed the line wrapped around the ice chunks and the line went whipping right out of my hand. closed the bail quickly set the hook felt a little tug and nothing. reeled it in and no alewife. wished then i had another. continued casting and i had a good hit at 10 am but a miss. wayne came back and said no hits for him . so i said lets go a little farthur north not to fish but scout some water where we can access and fish. we did only found one spot where a landowner was there. gave me permission to fish on shore near his cement dock. no trash on the shore line there he said. told him you can be sure of that from us. when i was leaving he smiled and he says i like to eat fish once in awhile. told him not to worry even if we dont fish there we will bring him some fresh fish. :)
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice story Matt...too bad you missed that one...
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Thanks Fishy for the up date. I went to St Albans bay and fished for white peach. Three of us had 4 pails of them. The ice was good for this time of year.
PS
I got the boat ready so let me know when the ice is out around the bridge.
Thanks DON

i
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jimbow wrote:Nice story Matt...too bad you missed that one...
it was good to get out jim. there were fish there the birds were very active out in front. the cold front came in and slowed the action down.