Species: Salmon and the rest

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/29/2016

Post by Registered Kayak »

That's a real healthy fish!!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

2/23/2017 hit the lake today for some shore laker fishing. weather was a balmy 56 degrees. picked up my nephews son at 2:30 pm and headed north. started casting a little after 3 pm with a 10 mph south wind which soon died down around 4 pm. no hits at all and saw 1 fish surface close to shore. a little after 4 pm or so salmon crazy came down and joined us. we talked a bit and he started casting. shortly after eric had a slight hit and a miss. that would do it for hits today but what a great day to be fishing. all 3 of us just enjoyed being on the lake and doing our thing. been a long winter for some of us with no ice and no safe ice where we like to fish and the drought keeping the salmon out of the rivers. streams were really moving with fast water emptying in the lake. we need water badly. where we were there was 2 boats trolling the shore line it was good to see the boats out there. hopefully they got into fish.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I hooked in to a couple lakers from a new shore spot this afternoon. Very pleasant spot, and I found a little sheltered nook that helped with the wind, which was considerable. The first one bit tentatively a couple times and then came back for more when I let the spoon drop. I landed it. It was hooked cleanly, and I really was more interested in salmon, so I released it.

With a smaller gold krokodile I hooked into what felt like a much bigger fish. Just a steady pull, quite heavy and irresistible. It got off the hook-- I should have been gentler, but I didn't have my drag dialed in, and I was rusty from ice fishing.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/12/2017 hit the lake north on a tip for some laker action. had certified smelt and would also cast with krocs and bees. got there in this new water at 6:30 am set up and waited for wayne to join me later. lots of debris in the water and very foggy. started casting with a blue mackeral 3/8 ounce krocodile then switched to a blue trout pattern honeybee. no hits annd no runs. wayne hit the water around 8:35 am and used the same set up as me a smelt on bottom and a blue/silver 1/2 ounce krocodile. we fished until 11: 15 am with no runs and not hits. we decided at this time to explore the area a little more and we did. going to try again maybe tommorrow . its about a 20 minute walk but might pay off.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/25/2017 not frostbite time but hit the shore today for some cold water fishing and got a big surprise. wow did i. some forum members helped me and told me the lakers were hitting near shore. started fishing at 7: 30 am after talking with salmon/crazy (eric) for awhile. put on a 3/8 ounce blue mackeral krocodile ist and 3rd cast freight train hit 15 feet from me and fish on what a battle would then follow 5 runs out from me before i was able to net it i land a nice 28 inch laker who inhaled my kroc so i had to keep it. spit up 2 4 inch smelt which i scooped up . put 1 on another rod. a short while later no hits so i put a honeybee fishy1 casting bee on. ist cast a freight train hit and fish on i land a 29 inch laker. 15 minutes later another freight train hit on the bee and i land a 26 inch laker. what a start. then decided to try an chartreuse red dot mepps scyclops that i never got anything on . 4 th cast and another freight train hit and i land another 28 inch laker. wow everyone so far hit within 30 feet of shore and fought for their life. took alot of breaks watching my rod with the smelt on it but nothing. in fact only made 5 more casts with the cyclops and lost one and put it in the car since i had some errands to do . at 9:35 when i was getting ready to leave my rod with the smelt on started moving out slowly let it go about 50 feet closed the bail and fish on i land a nice 30 inch laker. so i was 5 for 6 this morning in 2 plus hours and all nice lakers that fought really hard since they hit so close to shore. picked up 7 smelt to partially digested. what a morning.
here is my ist laker on 3rd cast.

Imageupload pictures freeImagehow to print screen on pc
another laker
2 smelt out of the ist laker

Imagescreenshot on pc
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice fish & post Matt...
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

jimbow wrote:Nice fish & post Matt...
ditto !!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

WOW.. that's an incredible morning.
You caught nice lakers and you also got more bait :lol:

Nice pics
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I would have never imagined that fishing from shore would be that good. Nice job Matt
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Thanks for the report fishy1. The water is still cold and based on my trips and the reports I am hearing, I think the best fishing for lakers and salmon is yet to come. I hope to get back on the water on Monday. Until then, I really enjoy reading reports like yours.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Greenhorn wrote:Thanks for the report fishy1. The water is still cold and based on my trips and the reports I am hearing, I think the best fishing for lakers and salmon is yet to come. I hope to get back on the water on Monday. Until then, I really enjoy reading reports like yours.
water temperature there with my fish hawk portable was 52.3 .
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/26/2017 hit the lake this morning for some more shore fishing at 6:40 am. not going to change so i start out with a blue mackeral krocodile. ist 10 minutes no hits but 1 follow. salmon/crazy then came down to join me. eric put on a fishy1 casting honeybee. wasnt long for him fish on and after a brief battle it shook loose. then shortly after he had 2 followers. im still without a hit . so i went up and got out my faithful casting honey bee fishy1. started casting and eric yelled got one on. grabbed the net and was very carefull since the rocks were very slippery to say the least. eric battled it as i finally netted it. took a quick pic and released it. then i went back to my spot and fish on only to lose it. eric then had to go to work. :( i then went an hour with no hits but did have 2 follows. then about 9 am a freight train hit and fish on i land a nice laker. a short while later another freight train hit and i land another laker a little bigger but badly hooked so it was a keeper. then rain came down harder so decided to fish on bottom with 2 certified smelt. not much luck so i left at 11 am as the thunder started. eric commented on how the lakers fight so much and he is now a beleiver on the fishy1 honey bee after i gave him a few pointers how to use it. 2 fish on in less than an hour and 2 followers and me next to him with a very good krocodile but he really had those fish attacking.Imageimage hosting free no registration
here is eric with his chunky lakerImageupload image online
my badly hooked 1
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

FISHY1:

It's amazing how far the Casting Bees have come since last Fall. You certainly deserve a lot of the credit for making it happen! They are now also being tried as trolling spoons to drop down slightly in the water column but with the same great action. I am really glad that you pushed me to get them done!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/27/2017 started shore fishing at 7 am with eric already there and wayne joining us later. eric said he had just lost 1 . it was sunny so i put on my blue mackeral 3/8 ounce krocodile and started casting erci had on a blue trout pattern casting honey bee. my 7th or 8th cast i let the kroc sink to the bottom in 25 fow and the 4th or 5th turn on the reel a hard hit and fish on . i land a nice laker a long ways out which is very unusual for me. then a short while later i did the same and fish on again and i land a smaller laker. then eric lands a laker. so i went up and got a certified smelt to put on another rod and sent it to the bottom. i was having some followers and eric also so i didnt toss it out to far in from shore. a about an hour went by and a fish tightened up my slack on the smelt rod and a few seconds later the line started peeling off the reel. let it run for about 100 feet closed the bail and fish on and a good one. tom a neighbor of erics had come down and grabbed the net and i told him just stand back until i get the laker right on shore as it kept ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzing my drag as i got it closer started busting water i told tom put the net in the water and ill put the fish in or he is going to bust loose. pulled on the rod hard and dragged it abot 8 feet to the net all the time it was busting water. i got it in the net and was a nice fat laker short 30 inches but a nice girth. wayne then joined me a while later and eric had to go home in between i land 2 more lakers on the kroc and lose one on an smelt to. wayne got there everything settled down and not much doing but we had some followers so the lakers were still there. today i was 5 for 8 and eric 2 for 4 and wayne dont know yet.
a fun day took only one pic today of the one i landed on the smelt.
here is the laker i landed on the certified smelt.Imageupload