frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
jg845
Species: all

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/29/2016

Post by jg845 »

I cant agree more BottomDollar!!!! This whole site / community really sets the bar at a level not seen on most other sites. Fishy1 your flow of info is incredible and the stories are great. lets not forget Tamiron , Reelax and many others for shareing their knowledge on spots depths and color patterns. I don't have much to share as I live 4 hrs away and don't get up there but a couple times a year. With that said the site has me a better fisherman on Champlain with the info. Its made days that would have been so- so into OFF THE CHARTS GREAT!!!!

Thank you all!!

JG
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

12/9/2016 got a text from windknot (nathan) and said he was on his way to hit a river or the lake for lakers. said he should hit the lake ist and he did . told him i could join him around 11:30 am for an hour or so. got there shortly before 12:00 pm. nathan had just lost a laker before i arrived. tried to use my honeybees but guides kept freezing so i couldn reach any distance . so i went back up to the car and put on a 1/2 once rainbow krocodile. it was casting pretty good considering the guides are small and ice build up. around 12:30 pm i had a thundering hit close to shore within 10 feet of me . my rod was bouncing wildly with the laker right out of the water doing its head shaking routine and shook loose. a nice clean fat laker just hit that krocodile in less than 3 fow. what a wild second that was. then 0 hits and had to head home. just heard from nathan said he left and fished a river with 0 results . said there wasnt many fish in the river. well we got skunked today but still had a good day on the river and the lake in frostbite conditions. nathan did say before i arrived lakers were busting water some as close to 10 feet from him. i saw 1 bust water and 1 silver clear the waves close by.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Like Matt said it wasn't the best day of fishing but it beat a day at the office for sure! That one hit I had was pretty exciting. I had been there about 20 mins and my rod bent over and fish on in about 4 fow. The laker was about 5-6lbs. It came up and broke surface and as it did that it spit the spoon with a good headshake. Darnit! Though that was the only action I saw all day it was worth the trip. I came back to the lake after checking out the river and stayed until dark. I wish I'd had a camera with me that took good night pictures: The moon was shimmering on the lake and snowflakes were slowly drifting in the air in a light breeze, such a peaceful moment. Hopefully Ill get another shot at those lakers before the holidays.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/10/2016 headed to the lake this morning for some more laker fishing and wayne was going to join me. weather forecast was 18 degrees at 7 am and 2 mph north west wind well they were close on the degrees but not the wind. got there and there was at least 3 foot whitecaps and increasing. i couldnt even get near the shore to fish as the water was freezing on impact on the rocks. so i had to change my plans with lures and put something heavier on to get some distance and keep my line retreive as straight as i could. i have lost many fish with the wind having a big bend in your line retreive. wayne showed and said wow another day the wind is following us nothing at home. we started casting at 7:30 am with guides freezing almost instantly . i would make as many casts as possible and go to my vehicle and unthaw. did this all morning. no hits at all and the giant waves were getting bigger i was at least 8 foot farthur back from the water than normal and kept thinking how i was going to land a laker in these conditions. my mind kept thinking back to last year when i slipped on the rocks trying to land a laker and a wave covered half of me and i had to go home. i had to leave by 11 am to do some shopping and just before i left i had a freight train hit that doubled my rod with the help of the waves fish on and a good one. got it within 30 feet of me in 2 fow and it busted water rolled over and twisted the hook out. wayne was talking to 2 other fisherman to my far right and never knew what happened. we both left discouraged but more determined than ever to come back. wayne never got a hit and i only 1 but the challenge was still there.
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Just one today in a short outing...think it'll be the last of the season, the rocks I stand on are covered in a layer of somewhat thick ice. Not very safe any longer! Great season for sure.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Z.G wrote:Just one today in a short outing...think it'll be the last of the season, the rocks I stand on are covered in a layer of somewhat thick ice. Not very safe any longer! Great season for sure.
thanks for the post and all fisherman beware of the rocks and shores they are ice covered. had a few texts today from fisherman they experienced the same ice covered rocks everywhere. like z.g says not very safe so everyone beware of this.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Yup, my best spot is too icy to access now, too.
Salmon-crazy
Species: Salmon, trout, bass, pike

Post by Salmon-crazy »

Hey fishy1.... I went to the shore this morning and that one spot is fairly access able however, you are right - its a bit slippery in spots. It would prove to be a challenge to land anything. I gave a few casts before work but no takers. I lost my Krocadile trout pattern last week so I had to go to a different pattern which I didn't have a lot of faith in. I'm hoping tomorrow is a little warmer. I know they are out there just got to get the right lure to them. Taught me a good lesson though - always buy x2 lures at a time in case I lose one!! Nothing worse than getting hits and losing the one good lure you have. See you on the water one of these days I'm sure. I hope to hit the rivers at some point soon if the weather allows.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Salmon-crazy wrote:Hey fishy1.... I went to the shore this morning and that one spot is fairly access able however, you are right - its a bit slippery in spots. It would prove to be a challenge to land anything. I gave a few casts before work but no takers. I lost my Krocadile trout pattern last week so I had to go to a different pattern which I didn't have a lot of faith in. I'm hoping tomorrow is a little warmer. I know they are out there just got to get the right lure to them. Taught me a good lesson though - always buy x2 lures at a time in case I lose one!! Nothing worse than getting hits and losing the one good lure you have. See you on the water one of these days I'm sure. I hope to hit the rivers at some point soon if the weather allows.
thanks for the update when i left saturday the ice build up from the waves hitting the shore was at least 5 feet now with snow on top makes it even more treacherous. my next trip up to a river or the lake i have something for you that will make you happy. just might be a honeybee. :)
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Well, I've been out casually the last few days. My main shore spot at the end of a large point is totally inaccessible due to icy rocks. Too bad: that's a nice spot, and the bottom drops off to about 60' within casting distance.

I met an old timer taking a walk, and he told me he used to catch lakers and salmon from the south side of the point, especially when there was a south wind pushing the smelt towards the shore. So I tried the south side yesterday and the day before, without a bite. It was much shallower there.

Here's something: I saw a single baitfish right by the shore. It looked sick or injured and it had a white patch near the tail. I netted it to see, and it was a smelt.

I tried a different, smaller point within the bay that is more sheltered and not icy. It looked promising, as depth charts showed 40' depth within casting distance. Nothing.

Starting to think about ice fishing, now.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/13/2016 hit the lake this morning with wayne for some shore fishing for lakers. sunny and a little wind a nice day to be on the water. we spin casted 3 hours with only 1 hit and 1 follow. it seems like the lakers are headed for their forage grounds after the spawn. i did see 4 bust water though within casting distance. i used a trout pattern honey bee and that was what the laker hit and the follow. wayne tossed many lures with 0 hits. shore line was a little treacherous with ice so we had to be careful. saw one boat heading south for some trolling around 8 am. did some pheasant hunting after i left and finally flushed a pheasant but didnt get a shot. tracked it for 1/2 hour in the snow walked by it and it flushed after i walked by 20 feet or so. at least i saw 1 today. :o
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/14/2016 hit the lake today for some more laker fishing. 28 degrees with a light west wind and some snow flurries. salmon/crazy (eric) joined me soon after before work. when eric ist arived he saw 1 bust water out of casting distance so he went over there and started casting and i stayed put where i was . about 10 minutes later i saw erics rod snap forward and fish on. erics dillema was where to land it where he was at was not a good landing spot without a net since he wanted to release the . eric decided to land it to his far right about 20 yards. he got it in lifted it up for a quick pic and back it went to bite again. the laker had a fresh lamprey wound on 1 side and a older one on the other side. eric was really happy. his very next cast he had another hit in the same spot. then he had to go home for work. i said to eric im going to stay until 9 am and then head out to do some pheasant hunting since the wind started blowing gusty. around 15 minutes later after changing lures i had a freight train hit and about 25 feet from shore it shook loose. then at 8:45 am a good hit and fish on my only problem then was where to land it. decided to bring it straight to me and i was going to try and see if it could shake loose by itself on shore since the waves were pounding the shore. it gave me a good fight and didnt want any part of the shore line but i managed to get it in and it started its head shaking so i would just keep giving it slack line and after about a minute or so it shook the hooks out and went on its way without me even grabbing the tail. probably a 25 inch plus chunky laker. a good fight and a challenge without harming it . off i went pheasant hunting with no results but did see 2 does.
here is eric (salmon/crazy) with his laker.
Imagehost image
my honey bee i switched to after eric left.Imageforum image hosting
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

It's nice to see there is some of the members and you Fishy still out there fishing and giving reports. Thanks for doing so it keeps me going intel the ice gets thick enough to fish. I would say you're going to need some extra warm outer were on the next to days.
mike conley
Species: salmon/steelhead

Post by mike conley »

Fishy 1 Thanks for the reports this fall...so much good information for those of us new to fishing lakers and salmon in Champlain. Very good to finally meet you and Wayne this past weekend....my
buddy and I fished the rest of the day landing one laker and losing another on the fly. Never saw fish rolling until just before dark when they moved in towards shore. Looking forward to seeing you on the rivers this winter.

7 wt.
Salmon-crazy
Species: Salmon, trout, bass, pike

Post by Salmon-crazy »

went to the Lake yesterday afternoon for about an hour..... with the ole' Krocadile... no fish rising, no follows, no strikes.. maybe this week!