frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/29/2016

Post by Targa V18 »

Nice post!!!!! I'm starting to get the fishing itch again!!! Thanks for sharing.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:11/26/2016 started out solo this morning at 7 am but soon would be joined by other forum members before mornings out. eric stopped and said he was going up to a river and i said okay im waiting for some freinds. eric was back in a 1 and 1/2 hours he fell in and was very cold. started out with lakers busting water and i had a hit but no taker. then around 8 am had a hit and fish on landed a small 20 inch laker. then i had 2 hits at 8:30 am almost back to back and both busted water and shook loose. then around 9 am or after elys and her 2 sons riley and christopher and a freind showed up elys got stuck lost a lure christopher got into a laker and got broke off and then riley had a laker stop him cold and fish on an off. thats to bad i said to riley but its been like that all week. then wayne called and said he would be down soon and vt matt and edin texted me and said they were on the way. those lakers are going to see some metal and streamers. had a couple of more hits and wayne showed up. i was telling way about a big brown that surfaced in front of me twice and would like to get it. we casted awhile there and wayne said im moving to the other end of the rocks. wayne had just left and that big brown surfaced again and i casted right out near him and the lure hit the water and there was a big splash and fish on the brown nailed my lure. fish on and what a battle 1 jump 2 jumps 3 jumps 4 jumps and away it went. the last jump # 5 i tipped my rod down just enough for him to throw that lure. ugh! that brown had to in the 6 to 8 lb range. what a brown and what a fight. then shortly after forum member vt matt and edin showed up for some laker fishing with their fly rods. wasnt long i heard matt yell yikes and he lost a nice one after seeing the laker just before that. then i had a another hit and a miss. just heard from matt he left after i did at 1:30 pm to hit a river and wayne stayed another hour and still no hits. the lake was like glass so the fish were spooked . we saw several lakers with follows but would shy away. i had 10 hits today lost 3 lakers and the big brown and landed 1. riley lost 1 christopher got broke off by one wayne 0 hits vt matt lost 1 and missed 2. lots busting water but not aggressive today. Imagefree upload
here is a pic of elys, christopher, riley, and freind casting for lakers.
here is the honeybee i used most of the morning had 8 hits on it but went to a mepps cyclops when the water was calm to get a little deeper with my cast.

Imageimage sharing sites
here is a mepps cyclops that i went to went the lake calmed down only had 2 hits in 2 hours but the brown was special. probably would have hit the honeybee also since it was on the surface.Imageimages hosting
Love to see the kids out fishing!!!!! Seems like a activity of the past for most families.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Is it normal to find the lakers with empty stomachs this time of year fishy? i would think they would be eating with the cold weather. (I know i am LOL)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Is it normal to find the lakers with empty stomachs this time of year fishy? i would think they would be eating with the cold weather. (I know i am LOL)
not normal compared to last year. the few i kept last year had smelt and alewifes in them . mostly smelt about 4 to 5 inches. i dont keep many so the only ones i know are the ones i gave to waynes son. up until this past week most lakers caught were also males. dont remember catching many males last year in fact dont think i caught many small lakers like this fall. most have their left fins clipped.
Salmon-crazy
Species: Salmon, trout, bass, pike

Post by Salmon-crazy »

26.5 "Laker on a Krocodile trout pattern. Man that's a great lure. I wasn't planning on keeping the fish but I forgot to de-barb the single hook and it was a bear to get it out. Got it on light weight spin gear with 8 lb test from shore. its going into the smoker!
Attachments
LT.JPG
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Salmon-crazy wrote:26.5 "Laker on a Krocodile trout pattern. Man that's a great lure. I wasn't planning on keeping the fish but I forgot to de-barb the single hook and it was a bear to get it out. Got it on light weight spin gear with 8 lb test from shore. its going into the smoker!
salmon-crazy welcome to this great fishing forum. glad you finally got into one. going to try and team up with you in the morning for lakers as wayne plans on hitting a river. sent you a pm. also a big thanks for the pic. :D
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Here's a bunch of the fish we caught this weekend. Some may recognize the spot...so don't give it up!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

nice lakers. must have been a little warm in those clothes though. :lol:
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Haha! yeah my spot looked a little different from that!

Hey salmon-crazy, I'm glad to see I'm not the only lunatic around!

Well, I woke up before my alarm went off this morning. I was planning to go out in the canoe and try for salmon, but I couldn't bring myself to do it in the snow, so I walked to my shore spot. A few fish busted water. Caught and released one laker about 20".

I've been catching them with empty bellies too! Last year they were full of smelt.

I'm still throwing a kastmaster. I ordered some Krocodiles and Honeybees-- can't wait!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Haha! yeah my spot looked a little different from that!

Hey salmon-crazy, I'm glad to see I'm not the only lunatic around!

Well, I woke up before my alarm went off this morning. I was planning to go out in the canoe and try for salmon, but I couldn't bring myself to do it in the snow, so I walked to my shore spot. A few fish busted water. Caught and released one laker about 20".

I've been catching them with empty bellies too! Last year they were full of smelt.

I'm still throwing a kastmaster. I ordered some Krocodiles and Honeybees-- can't wait!
your not a lunatic your a frostbite fisherman now. :)
i find that inrteresting that your lakers have empty bellies to are they males?
im heading out this morning going to meet up with salmon-crazy before he has to work.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/6/2016 headed for the lake this morning early and salmon-crazy came down to join me before work and then a big surprise wayne showed up a little after 7 am. my 4th or 5th cast on a orange/gold krocodile i had a hit and a miss . waynes 2nd cast wayne had a hit and fish on and he lost it. wayne had a perch 1/2 ounce krocodile on. we had a light east wind so the fish were spooky in the calm waters saw several bust water but no takers. at 8 am i changed lures and put on a casting honeybee. eric went ot work with no hits. soon after putting on the honeybee i had a 2 follows but spooked. it was tough fishing although the conditions on the hands and guides were good ice free, around 9 am i had a freight train hit and fish on as i struggled to get it up to handle it better but just kept head shaking and shook loose. the very next cast another hit and fish on and it shook loose. then at 10 am i change honey bees to a trout pattern and had only 1 hit. the water is so low and clear that you can see your lure coming in most of the way when the water is calm. this is the 2nd time in a week its been still with the same results not much action. as i was leaving salmpn-crazy was coming back down for awhile to try it . havent heard from him.
here is honeybee # 1 i had on notice the teeth marks in the middle of the lure the chip on the edge was from the rocks on shore when one of my casts went haywire.
wayne only had that 1 hit on his 2nd cast.
Imageimage upload no limitImageimage hosting 15mb
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I think i'm the only one that don't have a collection of Honeybees but that will change some time soon.
Before i put in my order i will put up a post to get some advice on some of our forum members favorites.
Salmon-crazy
Species: Salmon, trout, bass, pike

Post by Salmon-crazy »

Nothing hit in the early afternoon or just before sunset. Not a bite. I was still using the Rainbow Trout Krocadile, single hook. There were some fish coming to the surface but no takers. The lake was extremely calm, flat and clear as a bell! Maybe tomorrow morning will bring some strikes!!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Salmon-crazy wrote:Nothing hit in the early afternoon or just before sunset. Not a bite. I was still using the Rainbow Trout Krocadile, single hook. There were some fish coming to the surface but no takers. The lake was extremely calm, flat and clear as a bell! Maybe tomorrow morning will bring some strikes!!
thanks eric its snowing still going to try and make it there. south wind today 5 to 10 mph will be good cover.
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

fishy1 wrote:
Sawyer wrote:Is it normal to find the lakers with empty stomachs this time of year fishy? i would think they would be eating with the cold weather. (I know i am LOL)
not normal compared to last year. the few i kept last year had smelt and alewifes in them . mostly smelt about 4 to 5 inches. i dont keep many so the only ones i know are the ones i gave to waynes son. up until this past week most lakers caught were also males. dont remember catching many males last year in fact dont think i caught many small lakers like this fall. most have their left fins clipped.
Another thing to consider is you are catching post spawn fish and perhaps fish that are still in spawn mode. Post spawn fish may be slow to get back on feed for several weeks to over a month. Considering you're catching them from shore makes me believe they are in spawning areas primarily and haven't moved onto foraging areas yet.