frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
tiogaguy
Species: bass

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/29/2016

Post by tiogaguy »

Made a quick trip up to PBG 5/25-26. Didn't have much time to fish but, finished up about 530pm on Thursday eve, and headed to PTK. Rainy but not much wind. Fished for about an hour and started with a 3/4oz blade bait, but no takers. Blade baits are killers on Cayuga lake, sometimes the only thing that will get a strike. Switched back to a jig/swim tail and landed 2 lakers in short order. 1 about 20" the other(pictured) about 24". Pic doesn't do it justice, it was pouring and I was getting soaked. Threw a couple more casts and headed to Livingood's for a burger and beer.
Attachments
24" laker
24" laker
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

tiogaguy wrote:Made a quick trip up to PBG 5/25-26. Didn't have much time to fish but, finished up about 530pm on Thursday eve, and headed to PTK. Rainy but not much wind. Fished for about an hour and started with a 3/4oz blade bait, but no takers. Blade baits are killers on Cayuga lake, sometimes the only thing that will get a strike. Switched back to a jig/swim tail and landed 2 lakers in short order. 1 about 20" the other(pictured) about 24". Pic doesn't do it justice, it was pouring and I was getting soaked. Threw a couple more casts and headed to Livingood's for a burger and beer.
nice fat healthy laker feeding well.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/29/2017 hit the lake early this morning at 6 am to join eric and wayne for some shore fishing. sunny and calm so i put on the blue mackeral krocodile and started casting and 3rd cast a solid hit and fish on and it shook loose. a while later another solid hit and it shook loose. then a little later after taking a break with donuts another hit and it shook loose. i was telleing eric and wayne i need to sharpen the sure set hooks but when i took a look at them the longer one was bent right in .ugh. so i went up and grabbed a green uv sardine krocodile. by this time eric went home and wayne was just fishing with a cerified smelt i gave him. about 9:15 am on a cast right in front of me a good size laker attacked my kroc and i made a mental mistake by setting the hook really hard and pulled the hooks right out of his mouth. i never set the hook and that was a big mistake on my part being 5 feet from me. that laker was an easy 10 lbs . landed a small laker after wayne went home so i was 1 for 5 this morning. some canadians stopped that i know from the rivers and fished and hour and got 1 laker.
went back at 6pm to try the evening bite 2nd cast fish on i land a small laker . 4th cast i land another laker a little bigger. then nothing real windy conditions but was starting to settle down. about 7 am had a freight train hit close to shore and it shook loose. then nothing i left at 8 pm. a couple i know fished with certified smelt and no runs. this evening i was 2 for 3.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/29/2017 hit the lake around 7 am with a 5 mph south wind. slow start then i landed 2 small lakers on a fishy1 honey bee. but then the wind was really picking up and gusty and then the rain started so set both rods up with certified smelt and sat mostly in the car until 11 am with only 1 run and a miss robbed the bait to. tuesday weather is calling for 25 mph south winds so i might run some errands tommorrow.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

your still on the lakers Matt. it surprises me that you don't catch a non targeted fish on the smelt like a bass or bowfin
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:your still on the lakers Matt. it surprises me that you don't catch a non targeted fish on the smelt like a bass or bowfin
no fins there to deep and the smallmouths are mostly in the rivers. dont think i ever got anything but lakers on the smelt and a few salmon. lakers are lazy and grab those free meals on bottom salmon feed up in the water column. fins are predators and are in the shallows because they can can gulp air and withstand the warm water. weedy also.
Salmon-crazy
Species: Salmon, trout, bass, pike

Post by Salmon-crazy »

Lakers still on the shores. Picked up a small one early this morning around 6:45 a.m. on a silver Kroc. Another clean healthy trout. no pics though. fish was around 22"
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/9/2017 headed up tonight on a tip from eric for some laker shore fishing. my ist cast was at 5:50 pm and at 7 pm still without a hit then a hit and i land a 4 or 5 lb laker. 2 more casts and fish on i lose a nice laker. then nothing until 8 pm a sharp hit and fish on i land another 4 or 5 lb laker. decided it was enough so i headed home. june 9th im catching lakers in 5 to 15 fow. amazin. to my surprise i saw several salmon bust water out about 75 yards. not overly big ones though. eric texted me and said he was 2 for 4 this morning.
all 3 lakers hit a honeybee blue trout pattern casting bee.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/31/2017 hit the lake this morning for some shore fishing for lakers. ist spot brisk wind 1 hour 0 hits. 2nd spot brisk wind and 3 footers comeing in on me 1 hour 0 hits. i was spin casting in 4 to 20 fow. will follow up again this week.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Post by troutcrazy »

Hooked into a couple lakers today in 10-15' of water. Landed one around 26"-- that fish stripped some drag on my 6lb test!. The second one got away-- it felt smaller.

Both fish bit one right after the other. I think I saw a couple bust water but I wasn't sure in the chop. I suspect there were more fish there but they weren't biting.

3/8 oz chrome prism Krocodile.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks glad you got into a couple in the shallows. wind and rain has been crazy this week even for shore fishing for lakers. water temperature in 15 fow was 53 thursday. keep after them.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/5/2017 the frostbite shootout was a blast fishing with chawk jeff i thought we did really well landing 6 salmon 3 small lakers several releases and lost 2. but today i was back to shore fishing for lakers in a real brisk wind to say the least gusts up 25 mph. had a tough time keeping my line straight as i could without a big bend in it whipping my lure around. started fishing at 6:45 am and at 7:50 am i had my ist hit and a miss. wind had lots to do with it. then at 8:15 am another hit and a miss and was also a double hit. the wind ugh. then at 9:10 a.m. a solid hit and fish on and a nice one fought it in the 4 foot waves got it 15 feet from shore and it shook loose. i estimated it at around 10 lbs . decided to give up at 9:30 am as the wind was out of control limbs from a tree started falling so i left. i was fishing in 10 to 20 fow with a 1/2 ounce rainbow krocodile.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Yeah fishy1 that wind was too much! It was my only day off so I did some driving to get to a sheltered spot. Cast from shore for a while and fish were busting water. So I put in my canoe, and put on my drusuit for safety.

I got out to where I saw the fish and hooked up on the first cast. Chrome prism krocodile. 15 or 20 fow.

Pretty soon fish were busting water all around me! 10-25 fow and deeper. Some were jumping straight up. I thought they must be salmon but I couldn't see them clearly. I was casting to them but I couldn't get a bite. After a while I caught a few lakers.

One had all fins intact, really beautiful. I wonder if it was wild.

Kept one.

By dusk I saw some breaking surface very shallow.

I might have to start a canoe report thread because it feels like cheating a little in the shore thread :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Yeah fishy1 that wind was too much! It was my only day off so I did some driving to get to a sheltered spot. Cast from shore for a while and fish were busting water. So I put in my canoe, and put on my drusuit for safety.

I got out to where I saw the fish and hooked up on the first cast. Chrome prism krocodile. 15 or 20 fow.

Pretty soon fish were busting water all around me! 10-25 fow and deeper. Some were jumping straight up. I thought they must be salmon but I couldn't see them clearly. I was casting to them but I couldn't get a bite. After a while I caught a few lakers.

One had all fins intact, really beautiful. I wonder if it was wild.

Kept one.

By dusk I saw some breaking surface very shallow.

I might have to start a canoe report thread because it feels like cheating a little in the shore thread :D
awsome keep the thread right here your still on shore with that canoe. ha ha almost went back this afternoon had a feeling but that wind was horrible and then the rain started.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/6/2017 hit the lake again this morning for some shore fishing for lakers. got there at 7:30 am with eric salmon-crazy already fishing . we talked for some time as he just came back from the salmon river in pulaski. i started fishing at 8 am casting in a 10 mph south wind. i had on a silver prism krocodile. fished until 10 am with no hits. saw several good size salmon or steelhead clear the waves but no takers. i know the lakers are there just got to keep after them. wind slows down a little will cast with the honey bee casting lures in different colors.