Heating up for the Shootout!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Thorny

Heating up for the Shootout!

Post by Thorny »

Hi Everybody
The last 6 weeks the Salmon fishing has heated up everywhere. From Plattsburgh to Westport the bite seems to be good all over the lake. Lots of Salmon in the 15 to 20 range with a chance for a good screamer in the mix. Also plenty of juvenile lakers to keep you busy.
Last week Kamel called me and asked me to take out some friends and family he had visiting from Chicago. The winds laid down just in time for a beautiful day on the water. Some very wild lighting in the morning as the sun kept trying to break through the clouds. Eric got some great pics!
Fish kept us busy right from the start. Mid morning Eric grabs the rod and and a big Salmon breaks the surface and it's on! After a classic salmon battle we boated a very nice 24in/6pounder. It was unanimous to extend the trip and enjoy the enjoy the day. Our last fish just before we picked up turned out to be a 26in Dorkfish. This fish had been hooked before and had a deformed jaw along with several lamprey hits. Still tipped the scales over 5lbs.

Yesterday I had a last minute cancelation and filled the boat with some locals. Dreamcatcher,Seabil and The Admiral joined me for a wonderful morning of fishing and commeraderie. A fast and furious morning bite led to a very exciting moment at the back of the boat as I was trying to net a 25in 7 pound Salmon for Kenny. The Cheater had slid to the swivel. As I reached for the fish the hook from the cheater got hooked in the net. The cheater was preventing me from reaching the big Salmon! I kept following and reaching for the fish and that damn cheater kept be just short of scooping the fish. Sea Bill was ready to grab my feet as I almost jumped out of the boat trying to net this fish. Somehow we finally got the fish in the net! What a blast with these guys.
Be safe and prepare for severe weather this time of year. The wind and weather can come up very hard and fast!
Can't wait to see everyone at the Shootout! Good luck and I'll see you at the BBQ.
Capt Thorny
Last edited by Thorny on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Heating up for the Shootout!

Post by raz »

Very nice! This is lining up to be a great frostbite season!
Awesome job there captain!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nice summary Rob of your outings. Some quality fish too! As you said it should be a great shoot-out and even better November than last year which was the best November to date.

The weather has been keeping us away lately on 3 trips out of the last 6 Thursdays. Hopefully the odds get better with the rain and wind keeping us off.

Tomorrow is not looking good at press time.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great reports Thorny. Wish I could have made the crew the other day, but gotta work sometime...
Dreamcatcher's fish was a beauty. Glad to see him out... can't wait for out fish shootout scouting
trip on Saturday... Looks like the weather should be great!

Fish on!
Matt B
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Hello everyone; like to thank Rob again for the good time on the water yesterday. Had hopes it was that brown we were lookin for because it never jumped. As for the netting job well I had know doubt that you had things under control! ;) Great to meet Seabill and seeing Jud. Good luck to everyone next week!
KEN K.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Sure looks like lots of fun had by all except the Fish ;)

The bar is sure to go up this year and Rob I believe you have been on the podium twice Gott'a Stick sometime!

Truly look forward to year six with everyone !

Randy
Fish On!
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Hi Randy
Always the Maid never the Bride. :)
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great pics Rob.
Those smiley faces are good indication of the great fishing happening this fall.

Looking to see you all at the frostbite.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

Sorry Rob but that's my title after netting the winning Salmon in three derbies.
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Post by Phantom (griz) »

Matt would gladly hand line your fish in next time Dean ! ): Nicely done Cap.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Phantom (griz) wrote:Matt would gladly hand line your fish in next time Dean ! ): Nicely done Cap.
So the "hand line assist" like we see on Wicked Tuna didn't work very well on Lake Champlain Salmon... Can't fault a guy for tryin..... And thanks for not tossing me overboard after doing that on one of your fish Griz.......;)
Matt B
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Post by Phantom (griz) »

:D :lol: :lol: You are a treat!!
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Great Report Thorny! I think it's going to be a wild Shootout this year!
Thorfinn
Species: whatever

Post by Thorfinn »

WOW!!!! Great looking fish guys.

My schedule won't permit me to be at the shootout unfortunately. We've been catching 15-18" fish pretty consistently the last few Mondays. I'm a n00b to trolling so I really wish I could get out there for the shootout and pick all of your brains.

I hope everyone has a great time and I'll try like hell to make it out next year.
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Good rally call to all. The Official Champlain Dream Team line up? Stellar fishing seems. Cheers to a good outing.