Fishing Trip Sept 26th - 28th

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
matemple
Species: Salmon

Fishing Trip Sept 26th - 28th

Post by matemple »

Will be heading up to the Grand Isle Area to fish Champlain the weekend of Sept 26th. Have been meeting family up there for the past couple of years to fish, eat, .... and enjoy the area. We would like to target Lake Trout and Salmon but the past couple of years when we fished around the Grand Isle area we seem to find lots of fish but they are generally white fish,strawberry bass(???), white perch, occasional small mouth and perch. Last year we couldn't keep what we were calling strawberry bass off our lines even when they were down 70 - 80 feet.

I fish Quabbin (Spring and Fall), Moosehead (Spring), and Sebago Lake (Summer) for Lakers and Salmon and have had decent success at those locations. Champlain continues to stump us however. The past couple of years we have fished down 40 - 75 feet with with smelt imitations (Mooselook, DB Smelt, Streamer Flies, and variety of others). Generally stick to deeper water 50 plus and I can generally troll around 2 MPH with my boat. Like I said we caught plenty of other fish but the Lakers and Salmon have been elusive.

Any suggested techniques or areas to try around the Grand Isle area for Lakers and Salmon would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for tricks or tips.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Fishing Trip Sept 26th - 28th

Post by fishingmachine »

those strawberry bass you don't like, we call crappies, and they are delicious if you filet them
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Fishing can be slow this time of year, but I would concentrate my efforts on the Broad Lake south and west of Providence and Stave.Find some lakers on the bottom in 70-90fow and drag your ball right through them.Also look for bait near drop-offs.Be careful of a hump that comes up to 45 slightly north of the opening between the islands.If you can find it, fish all around it,there may be a salmon or two around it.Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

It's more the season you are up here rather than your program. The white perch this time of year really makes it hard to find a salmon. Chawks location is a good start. I have found most bait over 125fow+ the last few weeks. And the thermocline has been 65-85 down. Use your probe fir speed, we have lots if current and ball to surface us usually .5 to 1.0 knot different in the main lake body...

East side of skyler island in 75-100 fow can be hot for lakers on the bottom. Salmon bite is tough this time of year till about mid Oct.

Good luck.
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

so relax you're saying I should go. 5 or 1.0 miles per hour slower because of the current. So I should run 1.5 1.8 mph
Will nolan "swilly"
matemple
Species: Salmon

Post by matemple »

Thanks everybody for all the information - keep it coming. Sounds like we might have some timing issues with our trip but will give the suggestions a try.

Fishingmachine we talked about keeping some of the crappies to filet and probably should have - I am sure they are pretty tasty. We probably could have feed an army with all we pulled the boat.

Again thanks to everyone.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

will nolan wrote:so relax you're saying I should go. 5 or 1.0 miles per hour slower because of the current. So I should run 1.5 1.8 mph
Depends in the days conditions and your direction. So... Maybe