Don't Drink The Kool Aid

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Don't Drink The Kool Aid

Post by Crazy Ivan »

The salmon are out there and a ton of guys are catching them, all over the lake! The 22" 4lb salmon are not dead and gone, they are hiding.
Gloom and Doom
A very smart, knowing person told me a few years back when I was complaining about the lack of decent size salmon, "Todd go to the fish, do not wait for the fish to find you. The lake is forever changing, sometimes areas of the lake change forever and sometimes it changes back. The bigger fish are out there they are just adapting to the changes around them and you need to be able to do the same thing.
Very solid advice from a person who has committed their life into making Lake Champlain a better fishery.
I think about that conversation quite a bit. Some years different spots are better than others…. then the next year its a new area or an old area. This year has been exceptionally challenging with Mother Nature dragging her feet. I have been at this a long time and I know for sure the hot bite rarely happens at the same time, same place, same date, next year.
By my crafty note taking the lake conditions are that of what in a normal year is about mid april conditions. Yes its the end of may on the calendar but the Lake thinks its mid april.
Todd
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Don't Drink The Kool Aid

Post by BottomDollar »

Thanks for the encouraging post! I know that last year I spent a lot of time fishing where they weren't while people were catching salmon south of me. Lots of good points made here.
Santiago
Species: salmonoids

Post by Santiago »

Thanks. I needed that.
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Todd I think you are right on the mark!! I Also think that one of the big factors in the catch rates being a little off is the amount of bait that is in the lake compared to before the onset of alwives etc!!! I fully believe the fish are there !! Just my 2 cents!! Sleeps
Ancient Mariner
Species: salmon lake trout walleye

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Todd I also think your right You have to spend the time to locate the fish. They adapt to all the changes of the lake, structure, temp, food source, predator pressure. Study the habitat find the fish. Just a thought from an old guy alone in a boat.
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

Todd, whats your Take on all the Alwives dying and dead, seems the Salmon have plenty to eat !
What do you think about the Predation Problem that's getting worse , Yes I'm talking the Cormorants?
"OFF SEASON"
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Off season wrote:Todd, whats your Take on all the Alwives dying and dead, seems the Salmon have plenty to eat !
What do you think about the Predation Problem that's getting worse , Yes I'm talking the Cormorants?
The best salmon fishing years I have had we could walk across the lake on dead alwives. I do not fish north of sloop for the most part so I can not comment on the whole lake..... and it still early but I felt last year there were less Comorants in the area of the lake I fish. It sounds like up north is horrible with them though. I have not seen a decline in salmon numbers that other areas may be seeing.
Todd
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

[quote][/quote]The salmon are out there and a ton of guys are catching them, all over the lake! The 22" 4lb salmon are not dead and gone, they are hiding.
Gloom and Doom
A very smart, knowing person told me a few years back when I was complaining about the lack of decent size salmon, "Todd go to the fish, do not wait for the fish to find you. The lake is forever changing, sometimes areas of the lake change forever and sometimes it changes back. The bigger fish are out there they are just adapting to the changes around them and you need to be able to do the same thing.
Very solid advice from a person who has committed their life into making Lake Champlain a better fishery.
I think about that conversation quite a bit. Some years different spots are better than others…. then the next year its a new area or an old area. This year has been exceptionally challenging with Mother Nature dragging her feet. I have been at this a long time and I know for sure the hot bite rarely happens at the same time, same place, same date, next year.
By my crafty note taking the lake conditions are that of what in a normal year is about mid april conditions. Yes its the end of may on the calendar but the Lake thinks its mid april.

I think this is pretty much true. I don't fish the southern part of the lake and that is my own fault or geographical issue. It does get frustrating to chase one species for an entire day without success when previously the same spots produced.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

A tale of Two Lakes
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Post by nhjim »

thanks for the post todd. got into fishing champlain just a couple years ago so the lake is all new to me so has been challenging right along. fishing a lake this big IS like fishing multiple lakes. for ourselves its been concentrating on a few areas at a time. trying to learn what spots hold fish at what time then how to best catch them. it is ever changing and thats what keeps us coming back. were paying attention to things now that wouldnt of even noticed a few years ago.100% agree have to go find the fish pretty rare when just go out and get into them trip after trip. at least for us. have to have a pretty good bag of tricks. the sonars dont lie there are fish there just have to pick the right trick for the right time.
spinner
Species: salmon

Post by spinner »

Have not been out yet this year . The boat has been ready for a month now sitting in the garage just needing gas. Seems like on my days off there was always something popping up to keep me from the lake. My plan is to take her out Wednesday afternoon and both Thursday and Friday then back to work Saturday night. I will start out in the dead sea and depending on the results head out to stave and providence to see if Jeff is floating around. I did put the boat up early September last year because the lack of results so I'm hoping for a better year this year or even change to a different species . 120 more work days left then I can flush that toilet after 42 years of working at the same place . It used to be big blue now it's orange
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Just a sip?!
A White
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

spinner wrote:Have not been out yet this year . The boat has been ready for a month now sitting in the garage just needing gas. Seems like on my days off there was always something popping up to keep me from the lake. My plan is to take her out Wednesday afternoon and both Thursday and Friday then back to work Saturday night. I will start out in the dead sea and depending on the results head out to stave and providence to see if Jeff is floating around. I did put the boat up early September last year because the lack of results so I'm hoping for a better year this year or even change to a different species . 120 more work days left then I can flush that toilet after 42 years of working at the same place . It used to be big blue now it's orange
Glad to Hear you get to retire Spinner... I work the same place and could use another 10 years to also get me to 42 in that place. Sounds like you will have a fun end of the week on the lake.. good luck!

Let us know how you make out...
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Todd - I don't doubt there are still fish out there. So far this year I've had decent (but limited) experiences even where I'm told there are none. However, I also believe that the birds are having an impact, and a significant one. Like you, I'll keep at them.

Reelax: 4:26 am. Really? I hope you are on the water today and not at work!! At that time of day I'm either off to the gym passing boats going the other way, or headed to the water myself.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

We (my wife and I) lauched out of West Swanton on Friday May 18 around 3 Pm, and just made it under the train bridge. We made our way down behind Butler and Knight's islands, hoping to find warmer water (most of the surface temperatures 46-47 degrees). We did find some water closer to 50, so we trolled long lines with spoons and jerk baits, with added lines set up on the down riggers at 10-15 feet between 1.8 to 2.6 MPH.
After trolling for a while we picked up the lines and headed down towards Keelers Bay. We made the decision set up lines heading south along Savage, Fish Bladder and Cedar islands. We then circled round and proceeded north. We saw bait fish on the sonar and the odd arc, but no takers. By 6:30 PM it was time to head back. It was great to be on the water, and bad day of fishing is better than a good day in the office. The fish will show up.