Hatchery brook 10/13

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Hatchery brook 10/13

Post by C-Hawk »

Has anybody else sent an email to F and W ?
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Ok Guys,
So it is perfectly legal to fish here. It also gives opportunity to folks that do not have a boat to fish for landlock salmon. Not many places around for that. Salmon as well as other species need gravel and clear running water to be successful in spawning. Not many places around for that. Our rivers are dammed as well as silt laden. Couple that with the low flows and high temps in the summer and you see why we have very little natural reproduction. Snagging is illegal. Keeping foul hooked fish is illegal. The problem is enforcement. The F+W cant be there 24/7. YOU need to do your part and confront the outlaws or call F+W and report them, or both. Don't let a couple of knot heads spoil it for the rest of us. I know we have had this discussion on the forum in the past and some folks think these fish are all theirs... Well brothers and sisters, they aint. If you close hatchery brook, close the salmon hole and all of the rivers too.
Be a bigger better sport.
Riddler
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

riddlervt wrote:Ok Guys,
So it is perfectly legal to fish here. It also gives opportunity to folks that do not have a boat to fish for landlock salmon. Not many places around for that. Salmon as well as other species need gravel and clear running water to be successful in spawning. Not many places around for that. Our rivers are dammed as well as silt laden. Couple that with the low flows and high temps in the summer and you see why we have very little natural reproduction. Snagging is illegal. Keeping foul hooked fish is illegal. The problem is enforcement. The F+W cant be there 24/7. YOU need to do your part and confront the outlaws or call F+W and report them, or both. Don't let a couple of knot heads spoil it for the rest of us. I know we have had this discussion on the forum in the past and some folks think these fish are all theirs... Well brothers and sisters, they aint. If you close hatchery brook, close the salmon hole and all of the rivers too.
Be a bigger better sport.
Riddler
The difference being that this is a hatchery with higher numbers and concentrations of fish. I too used to fish there, but, over the years the ethics seem to have changed. I too would suggest to the guys that fish legally to call out snaggers when they see one.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I think if their was a time limit when you can and can't fish when the salmon are spanning it would be a simple and fair solution . Something like 8pm to 5am is no fishing this would give the salmon time to go up the brook un-harassed. And 5am to 8pm to give the legal freshman their opportunity.
What do you think ?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I think banning night fishing there would be an important first step. It would make things easier for wardens. The Maritime Provinces that have important salmon runs all ban it. No night fishing within 400 yards of the brook.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I think the Fish & wildlife Dept would consider this wear closing it down to fishing completely would take an act of congress.
If enough members would like the no night fishing at hatchery Brook i will bring it up to the VTF&W Dept.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

night fishing in most champlain tributaries in ny such as the saranac river is not allowed.
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

That sounds like a reasonable compromise. I have fished the outflow at night in years past and caught lake trout under the lights. Maybe they could install a camera and have recordings of the snaggers and there vehicles. Maybe if they know they are being recorded they will change there ways.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Any type of special regulations for this area would heighten awareness and let snaggers know that the State is watching.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I don't understand allowing fishing in this area during the spawning runs. It's like raping a pregnant woman. Let the run happen in peace. I know there are people that can't afford boats, but there are lots of places to fish and other very tasty species to catch without stressing the vulnerable ones.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

fishy1 wrote:night fishing in most champlain tributaries in ny such as the saranac river is not allowed.
I agree time limits would help but I cannot seem to find in the regulation book where the ny tribs have special hours. Where did you find that ? Even making some more catch and release only areas would help at least people could still fish. Sadly there is always someone crookedly bending the rules we’ll never stop them all unfortunately.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I will bring this up with the VTFW Board when i get from Deer hunting Maine.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Sawyer wrote:I will bring this up with the VTFW Board when i get back from Deer hunting Maine.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Thanks Don, I took the time today and emailed the Governor and suggested your idea. I mentioned that the largest theft of wildlife in the state is occurring right accross the street from an F and W training facility. Sorry to steal your thunder, but in this day of executive action, it may beat legislative action. Do not let this deter your influence!
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Good luck hunting Don!