Having a Vt and Ny License?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Sawyer
Species: All

Having a Vt and Ny License?

Post by Sawyer »

How does it work If a person has a VT and a Ny fishing license when it comes to fishing Limits in Champlain? I was asked this question the other day and i had no idea of the answer.he asked if you could keep the NY limit and VT limit sense you have two Licenses. Maybe someone could shed some light on this for this gentleman.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Re: Having a Vt and Ny License?

Post by Cas »

My guess is no. Doesn't it specify "in your possession"? Not "per license"?
________
Mike
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

You cannot possess limits from BOTH states if you have both licenses. If you launch out of New York and return to NY you can possess a NY limit and Visa versa in Vermont, not a combined limit from both.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

Jimbow has it right,you didn't really think you could have 2 limits,
did you?
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I carry both along with a copy of my wifes, my kids, and sometimes D.A.'s and Reelax's.
I keep everything I catch. :twisted:
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Raz wrote:I carry both along with a copy of my wifes, my kids, and sometimes D.A.'s and Reelax's.

Only the perch... :oops:
Matt B
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Post by Committed (DA) »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Too Funny Raz
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:
Raz wrote:I carry both along with a copy of my wifes, my kids, and sometimes D.A.'s and Reelax's.

Only the perch... :oops:
i was thinking the same thing :D
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

No worries....I return my fish mostly to swim another day no matter which side of the boundary they are caught.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:No worries....I return my fish mostly to swim another day no matter which side of the boundary they are caught.
Ditto!

Typically keep wounded salmon... Livewell used to revive and release fish if water temp is right. Try to just wrench release if summer and water temp is above 60.

Would guess I release 15 salmon for everyone I keep.
Matt B
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Traci and I don't keep many Lake Trout or Salmon. We like the pan fish when it comes to eating fish.
I only brought up the topic because i was asked and did not know the answer Not to find away to get more fish. Trust me we love the lake and its fishery. When it comes to the commercial fishing of the pan fish in Champlain well that can be a topic for another day.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I'm not trying to find a way to keep more fish i just like to know how the laws work so i started by asking here on the forum the question about having a VT And an NY license and if you could keep a limit of fish from NY and VT the same day??? I also asked the VT Fish and wildlife Dept. the same Question and the answer is. yes you can catch you limit of fish on each side as long is you put the limit from one side on land before you catch your limit on the opposite side of the lake.

Hear is a Email from the VT fish and Wildlife Dept.

RE: Fishing Lake Champlain VT & NY License and limits
Don
It is legal as long as the NY limit is caught in NY and the VT limit is caught in VT. A person cannot be on the water with more than one daily limit regardless if it was caught in NY or VT. So if you catch your NY limit you can't start on your VT limit until those fish are off the water. Call me if you have any other questions.

Take care,

George

Major George W. Scribner; W902
Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department
Law Enforcement Division,
1 National Life Drive; Davis 2
Montpelier, VT 05620-3702
(W)802-828-5005
(C) 802-777-6276
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

Well,I'll be damned! That's probably the only thing I didn't know about fishing! lol
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Sawyer wrote: A person cannot be on the water with more than one daily limit regardless if it was caught in NY or VT. So if you catch your NY limit you can't start on your VT limit until those fish are off the water.
I understand that this is a bit off topic but I thought there were instances where you were allowed more than a daily limit in your possession. For example, 2-3x daily limit following a weekend(2-3 day) fishing trip where you harvested your limit each day. Does this only apply when off the water and on land traveling home?

As an example of why I'm asking my question, my son and I are already signed up for the LCI(for the first time finally) and have a slip rented for the 3-day weekend. We are on the water the whole time staying on our old sea ray. I have no way of storing caught fish in the truck except on ice but have a fridge in the boat. We generally release most if not all of our catch, however, if we end up wounding(and thus keeping) more than one days limit of a particular species before the end of the derby, does this mean we have to quit after that? A less conscientious person might consider dumping these fish to be able continue in the derby. Not an option I'm interested in. Certainly we haven't set up a regulatory system that would make this the best option?

I'm trying to find the answer to this possession question in the VT regs but can't locate what I think I remember reading before. Anyone know?
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I don't think that would be legal while "on the water"....Have you looked into seeing if the Marina where you are renting the slip has a deep freeze or a refrigerator to save the fish on shore? Or maybe they could direct you to a place close by that would. I think if did that and you put your name and date(s) of the catch on the bag you might meet the criteria as long as they were frozen and removed only when you pack up to go home.