Repairs Complete

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Repairs Complete

Post by ChessieMan »

Thanks to everyone who offered potential solutions and concern for my well being.

The Money Pit went on a 5 mile jaunt on Saratoga Lake this afternoon without a burp, fart or hiccup, I think, hope, pray that we're back in action.

Tuesday I replaced the fuel line from the tank to motor, including bulb, drained the tank and re-filled with 91 non-ethanol at Stewart's (it's all I run) and a can of Seafoam, she ran good for about 15 minutes and then started surging - WTF????

Then it hit me, last year I had a similar problem the day I hauled for the season, turned out to be a leaking water jacket gasket at #1 plug - and sure enough when I checked, there's a stream of water coming out around #1 and running down over #2, 3 and 4. This is a rather common problem with older 2-stroke Merc's. Apparently last year's repair failed.

Spent most of Thursday morning working under a heat lamp, cleaning out pieces of blown out gasket and re-sealing with Hi-Temp Permatex and the afternoon under the kitchen sink trying to unplug the drain.

Friday AM new PVC sink drain line installed, PM boat shake-down, bulb still holding pressure after two days and after 1/2 hour of 3/4 throttle cursing, no leaks and better yet, nice smooth 3 knot idle.

Now all I need is a good weather report.

Just got a new bunch of HB's in the mail today - so look out Fish - He's Baaaack!!!!!!!!!!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Repairs Complete

Post by tamiron »

Go get 'em!!!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Mr.Esox
Species: Salmon

Post by Mr.Esox »

Knock em dead Cheesie
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Glad you resolve your engine issue. Little problems can turn to monsters if not fixed soon.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

glad to hear you got your motor issues resolved... This is not a good season to be having issues... Looking forward to your next report!
Matt B
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Good to hear you found the problem, always better to be on the safe side...Now go get them.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Chessieman, How has the Port Henry launch been lately? Was considering Westport on Tuesday but might try a little farther south for a change. I'm assuming the docks are out? Thanks, Bearcat
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

Bearcat - sent you a PM - C