Aboard Reel Lucky and Shayedwinds

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Aboard Reel Lucky and Shayedwinds

Post by digitroll (ron) »

It's been a very busy Spring leading up to retirement with this Friday July 1st being my last work day at Vt Home and Marine after announcing back in March my retirement at some point in the near future. We have Fred aka: Fishmaster176 doing a great job behind the counter the last 3 months and a new guy Jon from Dick's sports taking over the sales duties while training him the last 6 weeks. He is doing a great job! Good to see Lazy C's posting his adventures got me motivated to post a few trips on Tuesday / Thursday before the LCI.

The fishing always peaks every year during this week prior to the LCI. With Tuesday's report on Dave's boat "Reel Lucky". We fished NY water on the main lake and had a fantastic day registering a 7.66 lb salmon 26" in the Basin Derby for Gerry and a 21" steelhead with Dave since there were no entries yet reported with the June 10th monthly summary on their website. One was on a slide diver Lite Bite the other off a rigger. One other notable fish was 5.5 lbs caught by Gerry.

On Thursday fishing aboard "Shayde Winds" with Don we motored over to the same area and it was a bit slower than Tuesday but we did take a 6 lb plus salmon on a Lite Bite slide diver and returned it to the water with no photo op.

These fish have been coming off a home made lure that has been hot for us for a year now on big salmon which credit goes to Gerry a retired charter captain (Silver hook charters) from the 1980's who use to sell his own line of lures. Best depth was 30 feet down for us and 90 feet of line out on the slide diver lite bite.

It will be wonderful to be fully retired in a few days heading into the long 4th weekend at age 55 and 3 months. Looking forward to this new chapter in my life with the kids still 10 and 12 to enjoy it fully. Weekends will not be fishing . Just 1-2 days during the week days or more. :) Can't wait!

Some photos from a few weeks ago:

Gerry's 5.5 lb and 7.66 salmon:

Running 4 Lite Bites (Video)

Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Aboard Reel Lucky and Shayedwinds

Post by fishy1 »

ron:
have a great retirement and enjoy every day of it. thanks for the pics those are nice salmon. good luck also in the basin derby hopefully we will see each other there again next april.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Congratulations Ron, I think my wife figures I should work until I'm 80 to make up for all the time I took off to fish.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I've been wondering where you've been Ron. Great post, Thanks!
Enjoy and we're looking forward to more from you!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice to hear from you again Ron. Wishing you the very best for your new career as a retiree.
Great salmon pics.
I am not able to open the vid... maybe only me ?
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Video fixed:
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

6 rods spread... that's neat... and a bit scary too
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Great post! Congrats on your retirement. Fine looking salmon too!
Good to see Gerry is still after them. I bought 2 of his Mag 10 riggers , 4 kunnan rigger rods, 2 ugly stick planer rods and 6 reels as well as 100 spoons when he gave up the charter business back in the late 80's. Rods and riggers still my favorites. Say hi to Gerry for me!
Riddler
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Great report, Ron. Good to hear from you again! Definitely some good looking fish! /Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
charlietuna
Species: What ever will bite

Post by charlietuna »

Great report and information!
Wonderful pictures and details.
It certainly helps those of us still learning! ;)
I hope to be able to contribute something worthwhile sometime. :oops:

CT
JDK
Species: Togue

Post by JDK »

I live in northern Maine and we have pretty good fishing. I have to say that I am in awe of your fishery.