Does it matter?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Does it matter?

Post by tamiron »

Curiosity is getting the best of me :D

With only the information on the forum to guide me, I have read more than one post about the Inland Sea having fish that contain 2 & 3 inch alewives and more than one post referring to 4 inch plus smelt and, in one case, adult alewives coming out of fish in the Main Lake.

How many anglers have tried to "match the hatch" and what are the results? I know a major derby is coming up, but ... if size doesn't matter how can the results matter either?

Many, many years ago, before the "introduction" of alewives, among a few anglers (who refused to say) it was common knowledge that the #3 Honeybee was responsible for a large number of Derby placements. At least in your tournament pre-fishing time, you might consider leaving your comfort zone, and trying larger lures mixed in your spread and even sharing the results. I mean, does size really matter
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Does it matter?

Post by fishingmachine »

trolling 5/26 in 100 feet of water,surface at 56 degrees,started at 30 feet,dropped rigger all the way to the bottom only to have it fire,running a big 41/2" laker spoon in a gaudy green and orange color.wham,cannonball hit bottom and a fish nailed it,very surprised to see a 20" salmon on the lure.the lure was what I would consider a laker lure.could be the salmon chased it on the way down,but still a surprise to me
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

fishingmachine wrote:trolling 5/26 in 100 feet of water,surface at 56 degrees,started at 30 feet,dropped rigger all the way to the bottom only to have it fire,running a big 41/2" laker spoon in a gaudy green and orange color.wham,cannonball hit bottom and a fish nailed it,very surprised to see a 20" salmon on the lure.the lure was what I would consider a laker lure.could be the salmon chased it on the way down,but still a surprise to me

Where it came from we'll never know ... but we know it hit the big spoon and may have followed it a long way too!
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I hope all is well with you ,Jim. I taped up a bunch of #1 copper bees with different shades of purple last week,put pics on facebook,they were HOT
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

fishingmachine wrote:I hope all is well with you ,Jim. I taped up a bunch of #1 copper bees with different shades of purple last week,put pics on facebook,they were HOT
For those of us who don't have facebook, can you post them here? It would be nice for the newcomers to see what they can do with tape and paint.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I guess SIZE must matter, this past week I caught a beautiful 28 1/2" 8 lb salmon :o while using a custom hand painted (Nascar) #3 Honey Bee :D ....Match the hatch...

images upload

how to use print screen
mrwalleye

Post by mrwalleye »

I always run a few bigger than normal spoons/ stick baits for salmon. Last trip out we caught 3 salmon, Two were on Michigan Stinger Standard (3-3/4") and one on a Lucky Craft Pointer 100SP which is a 4" stick bait. The winning Salmon for the 2015 Frostbite Shootout was caught on a Honeybee #3 (3.81")
I know big fish bite small lures and small fish bite large lures, but I believe bigger is better.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

mrwalleye wrote:I always run a few bigger than normal spoons/ stick baits for salmon. Last trip out we caught 3 salmon, Two were on Michigan Stinger Standard (3-3/4") and one on a Lucky Craft Pointer 100SP which is a 4" stick bait. The winning Salmon for the 2015 Frostbite Shootout was caught on a Honeybee #3 (3.81")
I know big fish bite small lures and small fish bite large lures, but I believe bigger is better.
Remember confidence in one's program always out fishes change for the sake of change!
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

jimbow wrote:I guess SIZE must matter, this past week I caught a beautiful 28 1/2" 8 lb salmon :o while using a custom hand painted (Nascar) #3 Honey Bee :D ....Match the hatch...

images upload

how to use print screen

Hmmm. I need a #3 like that
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

jimbow wrote:I guess SIZE must matter, this past week I caught a beautiful 28 1/2" 8 lb salmon :o while using a custom hand painted (Nascar) #3 Honey Bee :D ....Match the hatch...

images upload

how to use print screen

Hmmm. I need a #3 like that
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Tried out some large evil eyes as I bought a few from Norms this past week. Smoking hot on the lakers!
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Hairbone wrote:Tried out some large evil eyes as I bought a few from Norms this past week. Smoking hot on the lakers!
If they had large alewives in them ....
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

tamiron wrote:
Hairbone wrote:Tried out some large evil eyes as I bought a few from Norms this past week. Smoking hot on the lakers!
If they had large alewives in them ....

;)
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

You like my paint job on the spoon heh... Hairbone???? Sorry I painted it, not Jim, but I also had good luck with Mottled Green which is available....
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

jimbow wrote:You like my paint job on the spoon heh... Hairbone???? Sorry I painted it, not Jim, but I also had good luck with Mottled Green which is available....
Nice! Gonna open my own lure company if Jim doesn't start working 24 hours a day 7 days 365 a year to keep us tackle mongers fully stocked with the latest & greatest lures :D You know to be successful you have to have every cool name spoon on the shelf :lol: Running lots of old school bees with great success ;)