New boat enclosures and repair

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Sawyer
Species: All

New boat enclosures and repair

Post by Sawyer »

Our 18 Ft boat needs some side curtains repairs and maybe have a new enclosure thats bigger for frostbite fishing. Any suggestions
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: New boat enclosures and repair

Post by C-Hawk »

The woman in Mallets bay next to Fox Marine will do a good job, but I think she is expensive.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

There is a guy named Dennis in Milton that many forum members have used with great results, ask Surprise or Thorny about him, he does very solid work.
Matt B
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

C-Hawk wrote:The woman in Mallets bay next to Fox Marine will do a good job, but I think she is expensive.

Unfortunately they are ALL expensive...The quality of work varies greatly...check their stitching, see how many "passes" they do on a normal basis (ie: if they are single, double or triple stitched). The more the better and the longer they last. Next, check the weight and QUALITY of all material used in the covers (including metal pieces)and see if they use "brand names" to properly compare, and get a quote and compare BEFORE committing. There is a place near me that does very good work and uses good quality stuff but very $$$$$$ :o :shock: . However, I had two covers they made that each lasted well over 6 years and were still in fine shape when I sold the boats. Hope this helps Don.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

The person C-Hawk is referring to is Cloth N Canvas, the woman's name is Aubrey.
She does excellent work, but yes it is expensive. Located right next door to Fox Marine.
I had her make a mooring cover for me.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Aubrey made my enclosure as well. She does great work and I think her price was fair.

http://clothncanvas.com
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Thank you members for all the information on this subject .
Jimbow you have good points on what to look for in Quality.
thanks Don
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Thanks Bottomdoller your boat look nice. Do you know if Audrey has a web sight?
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Sawyer wrote:Thanks Bottomdoller your boat look nice. Do you know if Audrey has a web sight?
http://clothncanvas.com
Cheerful Charlie
Species: Salmon

Post by Cheerful Charlie »

I'm headed up to pick up my boat from the guy named Dennis in Georgia. I'm sure the work is great but I'm going to warn buyer beware. I took the boat up for an estimate to replace the vinyl and zippers on it. the sunbrella is fine. Was told a price of about $800, and certainly less than $1000. Was presented with a bill of $1651. Was told he had to do more than he thought and it took longer. No phone call, no heads up, no authorization at that price. Left a check there yesterday and will chalk it up to a lesson learned. If he had told me that price to start with, we likely would not have had it done. I don't like to post stuff like this but when the bill I was given is basically twice what the estimate was, that is a problem.