manual downriggers

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
mudchuck
Species: perch

manual downriggers

Post by mudchuck »

Hi folks!
I'm researching which manual downriggers would best suit my little tinny.
Since I've completed all my refurbishment of the hull/deck/transom, it's now time to look at equipping to fish for coldwater specie/walleyes!

I'm curious for opinion or feedback from forum members using manual downriggers on smaller aluminum boats. I have a 14' Starcraft deep-V. The gunnels appear big enough to support mounts and I plan on adding some thicker aluminum plate to the underside of them where the mounts will go, or build something to run across the splashwell to mount a pair of them to.

Anyone out there use these: Scotty #1050 Depthmaster , Walker Lake Ranger, Cannon Lake-Troll, Cannon Easi-Troll ST, Cannon Uni-Troll 5 ST or any others that you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
~Mud
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Re: manual downriggers

Post by Wdrnr »

At one time I had a deep v 14 Starcraft that I mounted two manual Cannons. The best way was mounting to a 2x6 across the transom. I used to run from Appletree over to Schuyler reef and fish in 100 ft. Damn near wore out my arm but caught lots of lakers back then. They actually are pretty quick in the top 40-50 ft of the water column.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Manuals by Big Jon, Cannon and Penn all work great. I have been on boats over the years with these brand manuals and they all work fine... (kinda liked the Penn's the best)

Good luck Mudchuck
Matt B
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

couple things to consider,if you are going to be fishing deeper then 50 ft on a regular basis,i would look into going electric,like what was stated above,your arms will get very sore using the manuals.also,with a narrow beam boat and depending on where you mount your riggers,you may want to go with extendable booms,like the cannon unitroll's.these are what I run on my small water boat and love them.if you run short arm riggers and cant run them in the corner and have to mount them mid-ship,the cable/fishing line may rub on the side of the boat or get caught up in the prop on turns.i run 3 riggers mounted on an aluminum trolling bar which is mounted across the transom.with the extendable booms the corner riggers have plenty of space between them and the center rigger has plenty of clearance over the motor.3 rigger set-up is nice when fishing solo,i can run 3 rods and not have to screw around with boards or when it is windy/rough and you cant fish boards,you still can have 3 rods in the water.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Check proboards
wesson357
Species: trout

Post by wesson357 »

I used for many years a uni troll 5, it s great. Before that, i tried a lake troll..... Forget it, i sold it a week later.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Penn manuals. Used them for years and years. Never had a problem with the clutch system.
________
Mike
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

High Plains Drifter
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

This could be a tax deduction for fishing equipment for me.
Vtmopar

Post by Vtmopar »

I've never used one, but might try it.
I have canon manual downriggers.
High Plains Drifter
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I don't believe you would be able to find those devices anymore...like 6 years old or better.
Great idea, but I bet they eat the battery pretty quickly.
Vtmopar

Post by Vtmopar »

Your right can't find them anymore.
I'm not worried about a drill not not having the power.
I run a 20 volt lithium drill for a ice auger, easily go 2 full days on one battery pan fishing.
Battery technology has come a long way.
High Plains Drifter