Shanty Siding Where to Buy

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Shanty Siding Where to Buy

Post by keithm87 »

I am going to build a new ice shanty this fall. it will be an 8X12 on a trailer. I am looking for materials for the build, mainly a source of metal siding (preferably aluminum for weight) I am trying to avoid having wood facing the outside as it will be pretty mobile, but cant seem to find a source for reasonable siding. Anyone happen to know a place that I can get siding without having to permanently reside in my shanty due to cost?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Shanty Siding Where to Buy

Post by C-Hawk »

Try to find a contractor that does a lot of metal, corrugated roofs. Usually a bundle of sheets are protected by dunnage sheets top and bottom. Also door and window cutouts for corrugated barn siding, same profile as roofing, could be easy to come by. Look for any steel buildings going up in your area and see if they have any scrap. I've been on jobs where I have seen dumpsters full of the stuff.Even if you had to buy new, I don't think an 8 footer would be more than $20. Aluminum has become too expensive and almost obsolete.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Also you can try newspapers.They use alum sheets for printing and throw away after... I am sure you have seen shanties finished this way...
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

If you really want to use aluminium, I have seen at least 2 falling down barns with corrugated aluminum roofs up in the Islands. Don't know if an owner would let you on their property to salvage some or not. One thing with aluminum versus steel, is with steel I think you could frame a little lighter, using the stiffness of the product to help bear the weight of the roof. Think it would be a trade-off in weight.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Try abc supply. Better to get a used utility trailer and convert it.

Was going to do that but went with a high end clam. The way winters are you are better off having portability..