Photobucket rip-off

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Photobucket rip-off

Post by BottomDollar »

A lot of DIY/hobby forums are totally boned by this move. It nuked all of their user's images going back a decade or more in some cases. There were a ton of valuable research resources that just vaporized overnight.

I wish they would have just stopped supporting new hot links and continued to host the old images instead of this $400 ransom situation. It's literally cheaper to lease your own server than to pay that ridiculous fee.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

BottomDollar wrote:A lot of DIY/hobby forums are totally boned by this move. It nuked all of their user's images going back a decade or more in some cases. There were a ton of valuable research resources that just vaporized overnight.

I wish they would have just stopped supporting new hot links and continued to host the old images instead of this $400 ransom situation. It's literally cheaper to lease your own server than to pay that ridiculous fee.
agree!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I was reading some feedback photobucket is getting on their twitter page and they are getting slammed and slammed hard. Thousands of folks from forums and ebay sellers using them are super pissed. They will most likely disappear if they don't revert back to allow 3rd party posting.
https://twitter.com/photobucket/status/ ... 4702127104
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Wallyandre (Andre)

I think what they are going to do is to lower the cost for hosting from $400 to maybe $50/year or something like that.
I'm actually downloading all my albums on my hard disch and I will use another host.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I save ALL my pix and data on a hard drive or card device, I don't trust any "cloud" or off site resources at all.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I just received my email from Photo bucket about this change two days ago. $50 is too much for what they call 3rd party hosting. Really? All my photos are on I cloud anyway 5,600 photos and 300 videos.
Wallyandre (Andre)

At $50 you're not allowed to third party posting it's $400/year
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

They will lose all their customers.
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Seems that is the way lots on these companies work. Get a following and the start charging. It would be ok if it was reasonable.
SFM186
Species: Salmon

Post by SFM186 »

just went through my account and copied all of my pics to my hard drive. i opened an imgur account and have used that a little and so far it's working well. bye bye photobucket.. too bad too, i've bought a lot of their prints and canvas prints for gifts over the years. not anymore...