Fuel Vent Issue- I think?

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
No Pressure
Species: Salmon

Fuel Vent Issue- I think?

Post by No Pressure »

I own a Fishmaster 196 2005 with a 115 Merc. I filled up with fuel before Datillios and the pump continued to shut off before I could fill the tank. It took 20 minutes to put 25 gallons of fuel in the boat. I thought it was just the gas pump. Well, I finally need gas again and went to fill the tank day before yesterday at the Marina and it did it again. It was suggested that it may be the fuel vent. I can't find a vent on the boat. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Re: Fuel Vent Issue- I think?

Post by Tire Jockey »

I had the same problem with my other boat, found out the previous owner put a new filler hose on, goes from the filler cap to the tank. It was too long and the fuel would not go in like it's supposed to.
Pulled the hose cut a good 15 inches off and it worked perfect. Hope this helps you out.
No Pressure
Species: Salmon

Post by No Pressure »

Thanks, I will look at it over the weekend.
Ancient Mariner
Species: salmon lake trout walleye

Post by Ancient Mariner »

There should be at least 2 vents on the side of the boat. Check just below the gunwales if you find them clean them out mud wasps love to build nests in them.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Ancient Mariner wrote:There should be at least 2 vents on the side of the boat. Check just below the gunwales if you find them clean them out mud wasps love to build nests in them.

I think the fuel vents will be metal... I have had issues in winter with them freezing up with moisture... Never had a problem in summer...

Just don't use a blow torch to thaw them out in winter... Don't think that would end well... :roll:
Matt B