Braid on rigger rod?

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Braid on rigger rod?

Post by keithm87 »

I am considering switching my down rigger rods to braid, as I feel I can get a better hookset with the limited stretch. I would likely start with doing it on just one rod, which is the one I use mainly for lakers and i run 20lb flouro leader on my spin n glo setups. Is there any downside to running 40lb braid as the mainline? I run cheaters will they work with braid?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Braid on rigger rod?

Post by Reelax »

keithm87 wrote:I am considering switching my down rigger rods to braid, as I feel I can get a better hookset with the limited stretch. I would likely start with doing it on just one rod, which is the one I use mainly for lakers and i run 20lb flouro leader on my spin n glo setups. Is there any downside to running 40lb braid as the mainline? I run cheaters will they work with braid?

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you use fluorocarbon leader to the spoon.
Matt B
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I run it as a backer. We are getting more fleas every year and if you fish into the summer it could be an issue.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I am running braid on all my lines, mostly 20 lbs, some a bit stronger. Fluoro leader about 15'.
No problem attaching cheaters. I like braid because of the non stretch and you can really feel the catch at the end of the line.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
JDK
Species: Togue

Post by JDK »

I use braid on my deep water togue rods. Only downside may be how you attach the leader to the braid. I use 20 feet of fluorocarbon leader that is attached to the braid with a small Spro swivel. A sliding cheater CAN hang up on that if you use a smaller snap.
4sixty
Species: Sal/trout

Post by 4sixty »

Only thing I have to day is with leader it's good but if using for Lakers they like roll up in the line if releasing them if braid touches their gills it cuts them . I like to release them deep water carp to live a other day . Just my opinion on braid and Lakers
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

My friend uses braid on all his downrigger rods for the "less stretch" scenario, I don't find that to be the case. I have tried to get him to switch back but because he read somewhere it's better he won't plus he invested too much money in the braid which I believe is the real reason. :roll: I have run my mono rods on one side and his braid on the other and find the hook up ratio actually to be better with the mono by a small margin. I do not like braid except for lyte bites and dipsy's, only for the strength factor and I don't want to loose either on a big fish :oops: .... I find that braid gets wrapped around everything (other poles, lines, the tip of same pole it's attached to) easier while motoring to and from spots while in a rocket launcher or other rod holder. And once it is it is a real pain getting it undone, so that usually leads to cutting and re-tying (another issue, hard to get good knots) taking time away from fishing. :evil: I also have similar problems AFTER I hook on my cheaters to braid. They tend not to slide down as easy, especially on windy days or get wrapped up on the line as I "throw" them out. I'm not sure if they slide down the line the same distance as mono, since the braid seems to be limper. Another thing I find happen while using "blacks" or similar type releases that if you don't get at least 6-8 wraps before attaching the line, it "slips" in the release and it's impossible to "tighten" down the rod tip after achieving the bend I like to run it at. :o I think this would be an issue on light biters to. I use an 8' ML rod with 8-10 mono, it doesn't slip as easy and if I have a good bend in the rod it helps set the hook better on it's own after it trips, eliminating the need for braid. Later in the year I run 17 lb test mono for deeper water, but I try and avoid deep water trolling when ever possible as a conservation matter. The fleas are a real problem too, when they get a good "bite" in that braid they won't let go. :!: This has just been my experience and I hope it helps...