Help Needed

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Help Needed

Post by keithm87 »

Hi All,

I was out on the lake yesterday and smelled something a little off (like electronic nasty smell) a couple minutes later my humminbird flashed low voltage. Noticed that my voltage reader on the dash was reading at like 11-12v. resolved itself quickly, and then a few minutes later it did the same thing. Voltage has always dropped when trimming the motor, but this was just trolling and using my riggers. I had 2 older cannons, a big jon, a fish hawk and small 5 inch humminbird running as well as a cell phone charger. voltage dropped enough to shut the FH off, and the cannon auto-retrieve was also not working. The cannons are wire straight to the battery, not in the system wiring, but they are wired to the grounded battery. I have called my local marine shops (laquerres and gilles) and they are all 3 weeks out. I have a vacation next week and cant wait to have it fixed.

So what I am hoping is for some advice. I am able to replace things, but am a total novice with wiring and that stuff, I know that it would likely be either the stator, battery, or regulator/rectifier. I just have no clue how to test these things to isolate the issue. Motor is a 2004 yamaha f115. The issue is with the time crunch I need to isolate the issue in time to order the parts. If anyone knows these motors and the process to test the components I would be grateful, or if anyone knows of a shop that can help me isolate it.
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Re: Help Needed

Post by Dirtyhooker »

First thing I would try would be to pull all leads off battery and clean all connectors and resecure to battery you can buy a cheap multimeter less than 20 dollars
To read DC Voltage electronics do not like low power and will cycle off you will probably find your grounds have more corrosion than positive terminals make sure all are clean and tight
So many Lures So little Time
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Because of my time crunch I threw money at the problem. After a fair bit of research at work I ordered a new reg/rec for it from boat.net as noone local could get it for the same price in the same time. I think the root of the issue/cause was that I had reinstalled my battery and accidentally put the charge wire on after 2 other eyelets. Tossed a new battery in since I have several basically new ones I had charged at home. Pulled the old reg off tonight and pulled the plug, and it was clear it had been HOT. didnt seem like it had burnt the harness side, but the plug itself had a bit of melt. installed the new reg and fired up. Ran on muffs at low idle and troll rpm for about 15 minutes. Voltage stayed stable with no flux except when I revved up a bit. turned on electronics and all functioned no issue.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Sounds like you got it. Water and electrical connections are alaways an issue. I keep a can of liquid tape in my boat, and paint all electrical connections with it except battery terminals.
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Yeah, it was a bit wet sunday too, but I think it really was just a case of me being a little dumb and not paying attention. Nothing teaches a lesson like spending the money set aside for boat gas on motor parts though.