Which one to buy

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Which one to buy

Post by kman05446 »

Looking at buying either the Lowrance Hook 5 or Hook 7. My old but still working eagle shows me my trolling speed. The two Lowrance units shows my speed thru the gps. How accurate is it. I don't have a fish hawk and my budget won't support it. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Which one to buy

Post by BottomDollar »

Neither, get the fish hawk :lol:

Just kidding (not really), but if you're on a budget get the cheaper one. Good sonar is nice to have but a simple one does the job for fishing deep. Do you have a plotter? A lot of us use tablets with navionics for that and it's cheaper than a dedicated GPS unit.

If there's any possible way to just keep your current sonar with the paddle wheel (better for surface currents) and get a fish hawk, do it. It's the best investment you can make after downriggers. Speed at the ball is really important...there's crazy currents in the lake. But I'm also assuming that you have a chartplotter. Those are pretty necessary if you don't want to hang up gear/run aground.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Re: Which one to buy

Post by jimbow »

BottomDollar is right, Yesterday we were doing 1.7 at the surface and at just 14 ft down the current was obvious since the fish hawk read 3.1!!! I am in the same situation as you kman05446. All my friends have Fish Hawks, I have the Hook 5 on my boat, and that is just fine for normal stuff on the lake but I am budgeting for a Fish Hawk now since it is such a valuable piece of equipment, more so as the water heats up.