Chirp?

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Chirp?

Post by keithm87 »

So being a cheap sob I always find myself in the spot where I should have spent the extra money the first time. I purchased a helix 5 2 years ago to replace an old Lowrance black and white screen that didnt seem to work well. At the time I had looked around trying to find the best priced SI unit. Now 2 years later having used the SI feature a total of maybe 2 times with little success, I am wishing I had gone for something different. Soooo... is it a good idea to sell the Helix SI and get something with Chirp? from what I have read chirp has better target separation and also shows the bottom dwellers better.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Chirp?

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Chirp does provide a better screen definition because it transmits using multiple frequencies.
Some people are happy with their 5" basic screen, others with their 9", and others with multi screens, like a 9" and 12". It all depends on how much space you your budget you may have on your dash, but mostly, your budget.
My suggestion is: Always get the most functional unit your budget can afford.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

So I have been looking around, and came across the raymarine wi fish unit. Looks like for 178 shipped on ebay I can get one, that comes with the ducer and all I need is a wifi tablet (which i have several) and I will be able to rig it up to navionics live charts as well. This seems like a great deal. But one thing that I am confused about is whether it only has DV or also standard sonar. Does anyone have experience with these units? I would keep the current humminbird as well.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

my concern would be, can you see the tablet in bright sunlight
in the boat?
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

fishingmachine wrote:my concern would be, can you see the tablet in bright sunlight
in the boat?
In my experience, no. You need to be under an enclosure. But I use an android tablet and always have my top up...it's fine.