NEK stream/river fishing help

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

NEK stream/river fishing help

Post by raz »

A friend of mine is going to spend some time in the NEK next month and asked me for advice on what to use fishing streams/rivers. Heck...I don't know. I told him I'd post the question here. He isn't much of a "poster" but will watch.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Re: NEK stream/river fishing help

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Gerry the Rivers have fish and there are a lot of them!!! Whats your buddy looking to catch? I would guess trout!!! The passumpsic river from lyndon to barnet holds some very nice Rainbows and Browns!! The upper reaches of the moose holds some very nice brookies!!! He will probably to late for the steelhead run on the willoughby. When he gets up here have him stop into the village sports shop in lyndonville they are up on river fishing and what to use for tackle and such!!! Good luck!! Maybe I will see you this weekend!! Sleeps
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

We used to fish the upper Missisquoi for browns / brookies above Lowell to Troy. That was 1977 though the last time I fished a stream.
browntown
Species: Ones with fins

Post by browntown »

Raz,

I need a little more info. Where will he be staying and is he looking for Brookies or Rainbows and Browns. I have caught more fish in the NEK then in then in the Champlain Valley
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Thanks guys. He's mostly after brookies. And I mistook him when he said next month. He's going to be rambling about between Island Pond, Norton, and Bloomfield areas this Sunday thru Wednesday. He's hoping for some Intel that will get him off the beaten path and away any crowds or heavily fished areas. Beaver ponds back in the woods, small productive streams, etc...
Gerry
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

I have explored numerous streams and rivers in the NEK. Unfortunately, I'm river challenged and these fish are very safe from me. However, I have caught steelie and Lakers in some of the small lakes and ponds, from a canoe and from my boat. I've had success in little averil, long pond, island pond, willoughby, and Caspian.

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
browntown
Species: Ones with fins

Post by browntown »

I know these waters well. The best river for Brookies in the NEK is he Pherrins River. This river flows into the Clyde in IP. Fish it anywhere that you can get to it. The further you walk the better it will be. I've seen more Brookies over16" in that river then any other. The Clyde is also great from IP to the Five Mile Square Road and again after West Charlstown. This later section has fewer fish but the average size is better. If you are up for a hike then drive out the Hershaw Rd to the Four Mile Rd and fish down stream for a mile our two on the North Branch. The fish will be small and black. A few 10" to 12" may be found down at the water falls but very few people will walk that far. This time of year I would suggest the good old fashion worm. Panther Martins are also great but I think that it is still a little early.

I would love to hear how you do. Fish On!
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

The Connecticut River between Bloomfield and Canaan is a premier trout fishery with browns, rainbows and brookies. Also, the Black River in Irasburg is also a good fishery. If they are going to be anywhere in the vacinity of these rivers they would be worth a try and very scenic as well.
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

For backwoods brookies, South of 105 between IP and bloomfield there are paper company roads and Paul's Stream, Madison Brook and South American Ponds are Brookie havens off the beaten path and again very scenic.
scavanau

Post by scavanau »

Thanks all. (I'm the one asking Raz what he knew about trout lures and stream fishing)

I'm very familiar with most of these places mentioned. I've fished the Pherrins some, theres an access by 5 mile square Rd. Everytime I go there it happens to be 5' over its banks. Damn October rains. South America Pond is one of my goals. Never driven to it but know the old paper company roads pretty good. I'm going to cast into a spot in Wenlock WMA as well. I plan on giving the Connecticut a shot. Exactly where mentioned, Bloomfield north to Caanan. I might swing as far south as Victory. I saw some beautiful streams that I said I would try one day.

I have a ton of plans to fit in to 3 days...

If the guy who was buying pike lures at Dicks today reads this, thanks again for the help!
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Best of luck Cav...
And a ton of thank you's to those that responded.
(now we'll just hope to see some pics, or a report of some sort!)
Gerry
scavanau

Post by scavanau »

At the least, I can guarantee pics of empty beer cans.
scavanau

Post by scavanau »

Fishing absolutely sucked... Tried every approach my novice butt could figure, no luck. Time constraints limited me to one day of fishing, Monday. Hit several spots on the Connecticut from Bloomfield to Canaan. Lures, crawlers, nothin'. Can't wait for ice fishing again.

This was all I caught

Then bought my turkey tag and success! 21 lbs 8" beard and 3/4" spurs. At the time, it was the largest checked in on opening day at Wrights.

raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Nice bird Cav...
Hey, ice can wait! The lake isn't even beginning to warm yet!
Gerry
scavanau

Post by scavanau »

And thanks again to all for your tips and advice. I'll be going back soon.