couple of questions about floor replacement in my boat??????

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

couple of questions about floor replacement in my boat??????

Post by cpmaple »

So I took yesterday and started removing all the stuff out of my boat. Have a few soft spots in the floor which I want to get replaced now before it to the heart of fishing season in the spring. Pulled up the carpet and very damp under it with most of the plywood bad. No big deal. My question for all of u is first the plywood is riveted down so is that how I should put down the new plywood or should I screw it down instead? Second I want something different then carpet down since my kids love swimming and always bring a lot of water back into the boat. But what would everyone else use ? Also I'm gonna put a few drain holes in the back corners to allow the water to run into the bildge area instead of soaking into the plywood floor like it use to do. please help me out here I have a very good start on it already by the end of today I should have all the old plywood out and ready for the new to go in which I have to get this week. Thanks in advance cpmaple (chad)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: couple of questions about floor replacement in my boat??

Post by C-Hawk »

I used Kiwi Grip from Jamestown distributors. It is a roll on polymer paint that comes with special rollers that provide the texture. After one season being in the weather, I am very happy with it, though it is hard to clean.
I attached my plywood with stainless steel screws, countersinking, the plywood, and spray-foam polyurethane adhesive.Also had to make a pilot hole in the ribs.I hope that the foam flotation is in good shape and not waterlogged.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Chad, Marine Plywood is the way to go. I've heard good things about the Kiwi Grip that Jeff installed.
Also, keep in mind that stuff other than water will go into the bilge thru the new holes. Hope you have access to the bilge & bilge pump for maintenance & inspection.
Bill
"POINTER"
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Chad, in my aluminum boat I used epoxy and 10 oz glass on 5/8 ACX ply. Marine is definitely better as Bill said, no voids. I covered the panels in Nautolex and used riveted joiner angle so I can remove it if need be. Epoxy and glass makes it basically waterproof forever if the glass isn't punctured. I used SS screws and finish washers to attach to the stringers.

I have slider doors under the splashwell with gaps in the track so water runs to that bilge cutout.

Andy
cpmaple

Post by cpmaple »

Thanks for the advice its what I was looking for. It will be marine grade plywood for sure but looking into all the different ways to protect it and cover the plywood at the same time.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

nice looking job bottom dollar!

C-hawk did a great job on his as I saw it a few weeks ago.

I did my last boat a 16' gruman and used fiberglass resin and bodo to fill some gaps in the agjacent metal. Used a roll on rubberized non skid in a light beige color. only issue with the non skid is it is hard to clean.

Search for bodo fiberglass resin 1 gal about $4o a gallon from lowes. Use sanded plywood with an exterior rated glue and coat with resin and dry before installing as this will seal the ply. I went over all stainless screws I used with resign so there is limited places for water to get to plywood. Fiberglass sloth can also be used for added strength. Marine ply is great but is heavy & expensive in my opinion. I would look into pain the next go around or install marine vinyl. After you take a few carpeted boats apart and see how the panel are made and then screwed in you wonder how they survive so many seasons.

bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

I used marine grade plywood and a compressor powered riveter on my Mariner. Bought adhesive and marine grade vinyl from Cabellas. Worked great
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Thanks for the kind words Hairbone, but I think the look is more of a utilitarian look than beauty. I too used marine ply,1/2 " on the sides where it is supported by foam, and 3/4. in the middle where it is removable over the gas tank and bilge and what will be a live well someday. The 3/4 is AC suitable for underlayment with no voids and no football's in the A side. These are sections that could be easily replaced, no seats bolted through them. After consulting with the on staff experts at Jamestown Distributers in Rhode Island, they have experts available by phone, I was told the way to go with KiwiGrip was to apply directly to the raw plywood, no primer no need of fiberglass , nothing. I did use two coats of spar varnish( polyurethane) on the under sides and edges.
cpmaple

Post by cpmaple »

After all the post I've read from you great fellow fisherman I think I might go with marine vinyl. I'm going with marine plywood for sure.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

cpmaple wrote: I'm going with marine plywood for sure.
I said the same thing until I went and priced marine ply :lol: Not many lumber yards in your neck of the woods. Better call around and get some prices.
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

I have a project underway also and I found a source in Colchester that stocks marine plywood but I have not priced it yet. Hayley Wood Products Inc. PH:802-448-3143 382 HERCULES DR. STE 2B Good luck Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I used vinyl shower floor panels that come in 12" squares that also come in many colors.they interlock and you can get edgeing panels too for the front of the boat if you need them.I bought enough to do my 17.5 foot boat for about 150 dollars. these are removable for cleaning and they are perforated with square holes for air movement,.I placed mine on top of the carpet,have had them on for years and have had no problems.I found them on the internet from an outfit in Florida.they look look the same ones Cabelas sells,but for a lot less money.They are also softer on your feet,which was a big deal for me.
http://www.greatmats.com/tiles/interloc ... -tiles.php

and they are on sale for 1.99 each in Terra Cota color
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

fishingmachine wrote:I used vinyl shower floor panels that come in 12" squares that also come in many colors.they interlock and you can get edgeing panels too for the front of the boat if you need them.I bought enough to do my 17.5 foot boat for about 150 dollars. these are removable for cleaning and they are perforated with square holes for air movement,.I placed mine on top of the carpet,have had them on for years and have had no problems.I found them on the internet from an outfit in Florida.they look look the same ones Cabelas sells,but for a lot less money.They are also softer on your feet,which was a big deal for me.
http://www.greatmats.com/tiles/interloc ... -tiles.php

and they are on sale for 1.99 each in Terra Cota color
Thanks Fishingmachine. That's a great idea to put over your carpet.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
cpmaple

Post by cpmaple »

Update!!!!!!!! Started putting flooring back in last night. Going well should be done an ready by Saturday, if not it will be done for sunday fishing trip for sure. I didn't plan on doing it this soon was gonna be a winter project but my friend from illionas (sp) wants to go real bad. He has not had salmon before an wants to have a meal. I keep telling how well they are biting and he is itching to go so push,push and push we go to get the boat ready for this weekend. Hoping to put him on some fish and everything works out good. Not looking for big numbers just a few to cook up. I will post back a report if I make my deadline to hit the pond. cpmaple
AL (alain)

Post by AL (alain) »

forget plywood,i change the floor on my 26ft islander whith aluminium tread plate and put garage flooring vinyl sold at Costco, it will last a few billions year [img]
Islander 261v 1988