Boat insurance

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Boat insurance

Post by Off season »

Im looking to insure my 21' Lund, I have alot of money tied up into Electronics, Downriggers, and various equiptment, Honda Kicker 9.9, Autopilot etc. Looking for a good policy that will cover everything if Broke, stolen damaged etc.
Whats everyone suggestions on this? Thanks Paul
"OFF SEASON"
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Boat insurance

Post by BottomDollar »

I only have liability, but Progressive has been easy to deal with. $100 even for me annually. USAA farms out their marine insurance to Progressive.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I have Progressive and am glad to say that I haven't had to use it. I also have it for my snowmobile. Best price was my goal.
Off season

Post by Off season »

Price is important to me, but knowing that my Expensive Fishing equiptment is cover is more important to me. Hoping someone could tell me of their experiences with Claims.
"OFF SEASON"
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

i have progressive also,when i bought my new to me boat last year and asked about full coverage,the price was almost as much as my truck!!!!!!i told them to stick it and just went with liability.ill take my chances.alot of guys use boat u.s. for coverage.im going to get a quote from them this week just to see if there is a big difference.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Check your homeowner's,you may be paying twice for the same thing
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

There is very limited coverage under a Homeowners policy - usually it is "specified perils" with a limit of $ 1,000 to $ 2,000 for the Hull and Trailer combined , and liability attaches only if the horsepower is under 25 HP. While Higher limits of Liability can be purchased , it is usually more expensive than under a Boat policy.Assuming the boat is less than ten years of age, under 25 feet , not over-powered ,and you have a good driving record, you or your agent should be able to find a number of good choices. You want " special form" . If the Carrier offers " stated value " or "replacement Cost" it is worth the money . Most Carriers only offer Actual Cash Value, which means they take depreciation and/or use current book value. If the boat is either an I/O or Inboard , watch for a " machinery damage " exclusion. Be sure to be up-front with where you will use the boat, especially Great Lakes or Ocean. You can save money with Coast Guard courses, higher deductibles and a longer "lay-up" period. - Sorry " frost- biters". A good market if you do not use an agent is Boat U.S.

Jack
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
edthehook

Post by edthehook »

I just paid my bill with Progressive, a total of $218 in one payment. Here's my coverage: l7' 1995 Starcraft w/2010, 50hp
Honda: $12,000 w/$125 deductible (both collision & comprehensive); $2,500 fishing equipment ($250 deductible); $2,000 replacement costs personal effects ($250 deductible); emergency watercraft towing & labor up to $500; $500,000 liability
each accident; $500,000 uninsured boater each accident, $1,000 medical payment each person. My coverage is nationwide
and up to 75 nautical miles coastal.

I think the price is reasonable for the coverage. The boat/motor coverage ($12,000) was the figure I wanted. My costs will
be going up because I am adding a new GPS/fish finder and an auto pilot. Still, I'll sleep better knowing I'm adequately
insured. I've had the Progressive policy for at least 5 years. As I recall, you can customize the coverage/deductibles to
suit your needs, and your wallet.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I have full coverage with $250 deductible with progressive. 35k boat, with full value payback, 5k fishing eq, 2.5k personnel items. $214 / yr can't beat it. Can get policy in 10 min on web.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

i think like was stated above,size of boat,h.p.,and if you use your boat on the great lakes or the ocean,prices really go up.im paying almost 200 bucks just for liability,they wanted almost 1000 bucks for full coverage.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Off season

Post by Off season »

They ask if you want to cover Trailer also. I've been told this is covered by auto policy when in tow! This make sence?
"OFF SEASON"
JTM203SOUTH

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

The automatic coverage for trailers on a private passenger auto policy is for Liability only - No Physical damage to the trailer itself.
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"