Salmon Hole snagger

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Matt
Species: Any

Salmon Hole snagger

Post by Matt »

Had to watch this pathetic excuse of an angler on Sunday afternoon. This guy was using an empty spawn bag (just netting) and later a huge 1/2 oz spoon, trying to blatantly snag fish in front of me. Confronted him about what he was doing and all he had to say was he was trying to put the line through the fishes mouth (like that's any different from snagging a fish in the side) He was strolling around with two salmon on a stringer already, I wonder what he would have done if he'd snagged another? I'm contacting the Warden that covers this section of river, maybe he'll track down the guy. I've seen him doing this before.

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Salmon Hole snagger

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

It's sad to see people doing such things.
I hope the Warden catch the snagger.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Pathetic is right simply learn to fish, and enjoy fishing...simple. I have seen such behavior from Alaska to New Brunswick. Makes a fellow want to say something to the guy.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nothing has changed 30 years later on the Salmon river in NY I have heard from a source that has seen it all.

Hatchery brook?
luntfrnd
Species: silver and gold

Post by luntfrnd »

What a moron! 1/2 spoons are terrible for snagging.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

go get 'em Matt
Matt

Post by Matt »

Waiting to hear from the Warden. I pulled out one of his snagging rigs from a snag the other day. Three of the biggest splitshots I'd ever seen, a very long leader, and then a small spool with a HUUUUUGE treble hook.
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

Just curious but how could you know they are "his" snagging rigs? Im sure he's not the only one........
luntfrnd

Post by luntfrnd »

Wasn't that guy using a huge 1/2 oz spoon vs s small one with a huge treble? Might have two serial snaggers down there.
Matt

Post by Matt »

luntfrnd wrote:Wasn't that guy using a huge 1/2 oz spoon vs s small one with a huge treble? Might have two serial snaggers down there.

The treble itself probably weighed 1/2 oz....it was monstrous. Same color (gold) as I saw the guy using. Assumed it was a heavy spoon because of the huge "PLUNK" it was making (along with the added weight on the line) Haven't seen anyone else down there trying to snag fish, although it wouldn't surprise me there are others. Can't comprehend how raking a treble hook, or any kind of hook into fish is any fun.....I've accidentally foul hooked fish on flies before and felt disgusted for even reeling it in, lol.
Matt

Post by Matt »

tuckhunts87 wrote:Just curious but how could you know they are "his" snagging rigs? Im sure he's not the only one........
Unlike at the Hatchery, snagging is not a common occurrence at the Hole. It used to be back in the day when the walleye would run heavy and the Hole was open during the Spring. Plus, you've got to be pretty stupid to blatantly snag, or try to snag fish while there's 5-15 people around, watching you. Obviously this guy doesn't care since I'm sure he knew I was recording him.
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

mabey you could have the wardens check the gigantic split shot for finger prints...........
luntfrnd

Post by luntfrnd »

tuckhunts87 wrote:mabey you could have the wardens check the gigantic split shot for finger prints...........
Fingerprints may be hard to pull but what if the Warden can obtain a sample of the snaggers line and match it to what you've got. Worth a shot if the filaments match.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Better yet - I'll see if I can jam a fly in his head for a blood sample!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Matt wrote:Better yet - I'll see if I can jam a fly in his head for a blood sample!
Then he will know how it feels to be snagged...